2 explosions at the finish line at the Boston Marathon.

(411 Posts)
landofsoapandglory Mon 15-Apr-13 20:22:00

BBC have it as news at the moment.

Sky also have it.

One person dead according to Sky on the TV.

LadyMountbatten Mon 15-Apr-13 20:52:10

lots on twitter

Always faster

Hulababy Mon 15-Apr-13 20:53:01

Clara - the possible, but unconfirmed device at a different hotel in on BBC. But I was referring to the reports of fatalities.

ChippingInLovesSpring Mon 15-Apr-13 20:55:02

My thoughts go out to those involved sad

Fargo86 Mon 15-Apr-13 20:55:43

Just saw an animated picture of the explosion on twitter. Looks terrible. sad

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Mon 15-Apr-13 20:56:20

US twitter contacts are saying the police have just detonated a third bomb. sad

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Mon 15-Apr-13 20:56:46

Fuck, this is awful.

Gales Mon 15-Apr-13 20:57:49

If it's terrorism, the timing was wrong, 3 hours after the winner crossed the line? For Boston you have to get a qualifying time to enter, so vast majority of runners would have finished and most of the TV coverage would have ended. I would think it would have more impact (which is what a terrorist would want) a couple of hours earlier. I know I may be clutching at straws....

Asinine Mon 15-Apr-13 20:58:39

Best not to speculate, wish they wouldn't show graphic stuff, some relatives will see it before they have been told what has happened properly. Speculation will only make things worse.

Those poor people sad to have been watching nd cheering or maybe running, pushing yourself to get to the line- and then to be injured, even killed, or just have to watch the explosions.munbelievable that people can do this to other people.

Lucyellensmum95 Mon 15-Apr-13 20:59:23

So sad sad

spanky2 Mon 15-Apr-13 20:59:41

Seeing the crowd during the explosion makes me think of watching the triathlon at Hyde Park with my dcs and a bomb killing us didn't even cross my mind. I just think it is so awful.

AuntieStella Mon 15-Apr-13 20:59:42

The best sourced reports at present are saying only that there have been at least two explosions near the finish line (some 3 hours after front runners crossed the line) and that there are casualties.

It does sound as if some twats on twitter are plumbing new depths with what they think is appropriate to post at the early stages of a major event.

Tee2072 Mon 15-Apr-13 21:00:15

Just horrible.

There was no news to begin with because they quickly sequestered the Marathon Media attendees until they got the situation under control. That was on Twitter.

Lucyellensmum95 Mon 15-Apr-13 21:02:24

Gales i tend to agree with you - maybe its just a horrible accident sad

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Mon 15-Apr-13 21:02:38

It looks as though it was mainly spectators as they were standing directly in front of it. Just terrible.

DontmindifIdo Mon 15-Apr-13 21:04:18

I think it's terrifying, but speculating about who's done it and why when we don't really know what's happened yet is a bit much.

redandwhitesprinkles Mon 15-Apr-13 21:05:24

My husband was at the hotel this time last week. Feeling lucky and sad all rolled into one. Hope not too many casualties.

Awful sad and very hard to comprehend.

Tee2072 Mon 15-Apr-13 21:07:35

Boston Police just Tweeted, 2 dead, 22 injured.

QOD Mon 15-Apr-13 21:08:00

Awful. Sme of my friends ran Brighton yesterday and finished at 4 hrs, so it'll be the non professional normal folk who were coming in sad

Hassled Mon 15-Apr-13 21:09:03

How awful - there are some right bastards out there.

And it feels like such an odd sort of target, too. Who'd want to target a marathon, FFS?

QOD Mon 15-Apr-13 21:09:30

Makes me feel secure on the actual goodness of man you know watching the clips. People running straight into the blast zone to get trapped people out.
Actually making me cry
Some people duck and run, some people ran TOWARD it. Heros.

Hulababy Mon 15-Apr-13 21:10:49

From BBC:

BREAKING NEWS Boston Police Department: two dead, 22 injured in two explosions near the marathon finish line.

AuntieStella Mon 15-Apr-13 21:11:41

Tee - thanks for posting what's coming out from official sources.

The (limited, thank goodness) pix that SKY are showing make it clear there were still many runners on the course. A paramedic interviewed for a US channel and rebroadcast on SKY has referred to plural fatalities.

Hulababy Mon 15-Apr-13 21:13:35

The explosions occurred 5 hours after the start time apparently. There will still be people on the course.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now