ATOS tell woman with mental age of 3 yrs to get a job (not satire – please share)

(23 Posts)
ttosca Thu 11-Apr-13 20:29:48

Fahmeena is 30 years old. She can’t walk or talk and has an estimated mental age of about 3 years old.

She likes to be called Princess Meena. Here she is:

Tags

ATOS, Coalition, disability, Tories, unemployment

(not satire – it’s the UK today)

Fahmeena is 30 years old. She can’t walk or talk and has an estimated mental age of about 3 years old.

She likes to be called Princess Meena. Here she is:

princes meenaATOS – in their wisdom – have assessed her and have decided that Princess Meena doesn’t need any benefits and she should go and get a job instead.

So Meena’s sister – Farzana – has decided to turn to social media to ask for ideas about what job she could do.

Here’s some information to help you with ideas for work for Meena:

Meena has Profound Multiple Learning Disabilities (PMLD), brain damage, Cerebral Palsy, can’t talk, can’t walk, has a mental age of 3, is incontinent and likes wearing pink and Minnie the Mouse headbands as well as making shitbombs.

If you have any ideas for jobs that Meena can do, you can post your ideas under the hashtag #JobsforMeena on Twitter.

Presumably Princess Meena is an example of one of the myriad ’scroungers’ unfairly claiming disability benefits we hear so much about.

Not a word of this is satire I can assure you, but I’m sure many people will have the same question as I have.

What have we become in this once great country that we turn our backs on people like Meena?

https://tompride.wordpress.com/2013/04/11/atos-tell-woman-with-mental-age-of-3-yrs-to-get-a-job-not-satire-please-share/

It might not be satire but it makes me feel very uncomfortable. It seems pretty exploitative.

That is horrendous, and clearly bananas.

Have tweeted under #jobsformeena

edam Thu 11-Apr-13 21:15:39

bullet, really? You think her family should stay quiet about this, and leave the poor woman to starve, rather than shout from the rooftops about the absurd cruelty of ATOS?

Of course I don't think they should stay quiet about it! Jeez.
I think they way they are going about it is very undignified for Meena. It is disgusting that ATOS are doing this and the absurdity of it can be highlighted without describing a disabled persons favourite activities as making 'shitbombs'.

CharlieUniformNovemberTango Thu 11-Apr-13 21:25:31

Everyday I read something that makes me just that little bit more terrified angry

And isn't asking the world of twitter to come up with job ideas for Meena going to attract some pretty unpleasant replies? I've worked with disabled people and seen the kind of nastiness that can be directed towards them by horrible people.

A case like this needs and deserves to be highlighted, but I am not at all sure this is the right way.

edam Thu 11-Apr-13 21:39:24

I think the chief cause of any lack of dignity is ATOS. It's ATOS that is forcing disabled people through demeaning assessments. It's ATOS that is calling the terminally ill liars. It is ATOS - an IT company, FFS - that is leaving disabled people in penury.

NicholasTeakozy Fri 12-Apr-13 09:36:04

You're directing your ire at the wrong people. Atos are just the blunt instrument that are being used by IDS and the DWP to bludgeon the sick and disabled. IDS does not have an honest bone in his body.

Pootles2010 Fri 12-Apr-13 09:41:42

Agree with Nicholas - Atos are an IT company, as edam poitns out. They provide the framework and organise this system, its the gov that decide what the guidelines etc are, Atos just implement it.

The tories are hiding behind them, and I can't believe everyone directs so much at Atos, rather than them!

ParsingFancy Fri 12-Apr-13 09:48:33

No no, Nicholas, ATOS are cunts and shits in their own right.

They massively overbook, iiuc by 30%, and then send people away. Disabled people who've travelled in pain, and companions who've taken the day off work to be there.

I've been called for assessment 5 times in the last 15 months, which translated to 2 actual assessments, the first of which was thrown out by ATOS as not fit for purpose, by a doctor so unprofessional I could have taken him to the GMC if I'd had a witness. ATOS management said, "It would be unprofessional IF he'd behaved as you said," but when I went back, he was still working there.

None of which lets IDs and the DWP off the hook for setting the parameters by which Fahmeena is being treated.

ParsingFancy Fri 12-Apr-13 09:52:18

And it's ATOS staff who fill in the tick boxes rather than taking full histories and adding text notes. And making up their own interpretations of questions, and quite often their own answers too. I've had some doozies.

Still agree that DWP are also cunts, but lets just say it's no surprise ATOS got the new DLA/PIP assessing contract as well: they're clearly "on the same page".

ThePathanKhansAmnesiac Fri 12-Apr-13 10:07:38

Just not surprised at all. A good friend works for a hiv charity, and has had clients with full blown AIDS turned down, including recently a man with AIDS induced demetia.
The only light is, at the moment, on appeal most are having DLA reinstated.
What an awful thing to put ill people throgh. Shameful.

cory Fri 12-Apr-13 10:22:26

Atos haven't been hijacked by a nasty government and forced to do this unpleasant job against their will. They have tendered for it, they train their staff and choose how to implement government policies, if they didn't like it they could pull out and stick to their more traditional areas of involvement. If any relative of mine was involved, I would be deeply ashamed.

Pootles2010 Fri 12-Apr-13 10:46:21

I agree with you to a certain extent cory, but the fact is private companies shouldn't be trusted with this sort of thing - they are profit driven, which is why this is all so wrong. The government seem to be passing the buck hugely, it's their responsibilty at the end of the day.

Pootles2010 Fri 12-Apr-13 10:47:32

I agree with you to a certain extent cory, but the fact is private companies shouldn't be trusted with this sort of thing - they are profit driven, which is why this is all so wrong. The government seem to be passing the buck hugely, it's their responsibilty at the end of the day.

NicholasTeakozy Fri 12-Apr-13 12:37:05

I agree Atos are cunts and are part of the problem, especially with all the lying they do. But they are taking the blame for carrying out the wishes of IBS & co. I'll be happy when the whole sorry shower are thrown out of work and hopefully into jail for these cruel policies.

Darkesteyes Fri 12-Apr-13 13:57:09

Channel 4s Dispatches had a doctor go undercover last year and exposed these practices.
The fact that nothing has come of it is another reflection of what was set in motion by Thatcherism. "there is no society" she said.
Its taken years of rhetoric and propaganda to achieve the "im alright jack" mentality that is rife in our society but it is there and that is the reason why many people just dont give a shit.

ParsingFancy Fri 12-Apr-13 16:17:55

<snurk> at IBS. Yep, pretty much sums him up.grin

edam Fri 12-Apr-13 20:38:40

IBS grin

I've read that the family have asked for this to stop.

We've been here before and it didn't end well.

I didn't realise this thread was so old

Apologies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now