Bute found in Asda corned beef

(18 Posts)
AnyaKnowIt Germany Tue 09-Apr-13 20:55:00
meditrina Tue 09-Apr-13 21:00:47

Gosh, that's worrying.

Not because the levels found in this case seem particularly risky. But that food safety controls have clearly not been working for it to be there at all.

What else, that we had believed excluded from human food, is going to be found?

So as well as it having horse in it, it also has a veterinary medicine in it!?

So glad I don't eat corned beef!

AnyaKnowIt Germany Tue 09-Apr-13 21:04:18

I thought the worst was over

Considered buying that today (for the first time in ages) and so glad I didnt now.

AnyaKnowIt Germany Tue 09-Apr-13 21:06:21

The chosen by you one has been recalled too

AmberLeaf Tue 09-Apr-13 21:08:50

Not just a veterinary medicine, it was used for years on humans with no ill effects for arthritis I think.

They stopped using it due to small numbers of people having adverse reactions.

shock
Interesting to see what the 'no big deal' lot make of this.as plenty of us pointed out it wasn't the horse as much as the lack of control

NiceTabard Tue 09-Apr-13 21:45:21

I think one of the main issues with the horsemeat was about the drugs wasn't it?
Aside from the fact it was uncertified and therefore potentially diseased nag meat
And of course the fact that it wasn't supposed to be horse in the first place.

I'd be up for a bit of horse, they should have simply labelled it honestly.

Yes exactly. But people kept spectacularly missing the point saying things like "I don't know what all the hysteria is about eating horse, they eat it in France/I had it on holiday/it's just meat". When in fact no one was being hysterical just about the fact it was horse meat.

NiceTabard Tue 09-Apr-13 22:08:44

Oh well those people are thick innit grin

Smudging Tue 09-Apr-13 22:43:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

edam Tue 09-Apr-13 22:50:41

I wondered how long it would take...

edam Tue 09-Apr-13 22:53:14

Maybe I should ask MN for a 'smug vegetarian' emoticon after all... grin

Seriously am not smug about this, given many of the people I'm quite fond of are not vegetarians. But I have wondered why the FSA was getting away with the 'no danger to human health' claim when clearly there was a potential risk, given no-one knew how horsemeat had ended up in UK food for humans.

tiggytape Tue 09-Apr-13 23:42:29

Yes - eating horsemeat that was always prepared for human consumption is unpleasant if you were expecting to be eating beef instead but the packaging was misleading.

Eating anything containing bute means it has come from a source not destined for human consumption since there is no 'safe' limit for bute.
I am not suggesting anyone will be harmed by eating the products because the amounts will be tiny but the fact is no bute is supposed to enter the human food chain because it is considered a cancer risk. This therefore raises big questions not just about the type of meatwe have been eating (horse or beef) but real safety issues as well (meat for humans or illegally sourced and unregulated meat)

5318008 Tue 09-Apr-13 23:56:25

Faaaaaaark

Tiggy, as always, measured and informative post. Thankyou

Elf13 Wed 10-Apr-13 15:13:23

Hello all :-) When I was pregnant I didn't take ibuprofen, a common household painkiller, as my GP told me it would cross the placenta and should be avoided. 'Bute' or phenylbutazone is a much stronger painkiller of the same family of drugs (NSAIDs). How can there be a safe level for pregnant women and babies no matter how minute the traces found?

PS I just sent this question to the Food Standards Authority on Twitter and intended to add #mumsnet, but I put #netmums instead blush Do forgive me!(I'm @elfiem )

boxershorts Thu 18-Apr-13 14:38:29

Only eatr it if you are ill with a horse cough

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now