Talkinpeace Mon 08-Apr-13 12:55:50

at last.

duchesse Mon 08-Apr-13 12:56:46

You beat me to it!

Ding-dong!

twofingerstoGideon Mon 08-Apr-13 12:56:52

Bites tongue.

Fargo86 Mon 08-Apr-13 13:05:02

RIP to a great, if polarising, PM. The first woman PM, remember. And the only one so far. She did what had to be done.

Badvoc Mon 08-Apr-13 13:07:14

Feel strangely unmoved.

Yep Fargo.

Can't agree with a lot of what she did but I won't be celebrating.

Still someones mum & grandma.

Lemonsole Mon 08-Apr-13 13:08:15

Attacks on the poor ... Demonisation of those in need ... The rich getting richer ... Unemployment ... Precarious employment...

Nope. Her spirit looks more than hale and hearty to me. hmm

claig Mon 08-Apr-13 13:08:17

RIP
The end of an era.
One of the greatest political figures in twentieth century British political history.

Sorry but...Yeah hey!!!!!

I grew up in a mining community - the damage that woman did was immense and is still felt today.

Agree with Lemonsole that her legacy is still alive and well today but at least she's gone.

<<hums Witch is dead>>

duchesse Mon 08-Apr-13 13:12:37

On the one hand: Strong political leader, first female PM of GB (although her effect on female mobility very debatable), managed to keep the political house in order for 15 years including some very mediocre men who would have otherwise made it to the top.

On the other hand: set out (and succeeded) to dismantle many things the UK held dear, large amounts of contempt for the poor, utterly changed the mentality of this country in too short a space of time to the extent that my father (ardent tory), who has lived abroad for 40 years, no longer even recognises the country of his birth.

Maggysinge Mon 08-Apr-13 13:13:19

The lefty trolls will be out in force now. RIP to a great woman and a great PM who never backed down and did what was right for this wonderful country.

Sparklingbrook Mon 08-Apr-13 13:13:34

So many threads already. sad

tiggytape Mon 08-Apr-13 13:15:02

Indeed - the end of an era.
A woman who made it to be a elected an MP in 1950's Britain, the first and only woman Prime Minister we've ever had, 3 General elections and a war won. Many of her policies are widely hated but you cannot argue she achieved what no woman in politics before or since has managed to do against the odds.

HazeltheMcWitch Mon 08-Apr-13 13:16:30

I'm a scottish lefty, but really think that revelling in any death is pretty revolting. Either you're doing it for effect, or you're callous.

Fargo86 Mon 08-Apr-13 13:19:06

She came from humble origins, from Grantham, went to state school, got to Oxbridge, and became the first woman PM against all the odds. The most anti-establishment PM of all time in many ways.

PeneloPeePitstop Mon 08-Apr-13 13:20:48

Shocked how much this has made me remember my dad. He died in '86 and utterly despised her....

It was a special occasion when the Maggie bog roll was produced... Or we were completely skint...

Beveridge Mon 08-Apr-13 13:29:46

She married a millionaire. Hardly anti-establishment.

catsmother Mon 08-Apr-13 14:06:58

Could someone please explain why she's being granted a state funeral ? I don't want to be contentious, but I genuinely can't see why her passing would be marked this way. Yes - as a woman she achieved political heights no other woman has ever done, but she also wrought huge misery with her policies. Can't help but feel it's somewhat insensitive, given the current economic climate, to mark the death of someone in this way who, amongst many other questionnable policies, set in motion the whole right to buy thing which kicked off the housing crisis that's had such a serious knock on effect upon the UK's economy to this day.

duchesse Mon 08-Apr-13 14:08:53

Is she? I can't see why she would be.

catsmother Mon 08-Apr-13 14:12:46

Ah okay - someone told me she was, but it looks as though she'll apparently get "a ceremonial funeral with military honors at St Paul's". I have no idea if that's the done thing for former PMs or not.

Goldmandra Mon 08-Apr-13 14:13:43

Is it a full state funeral? Wasn't it described as a celebratory funeral with military honours? Is that different from a state funeral?

Goldmandra Mon 08-Apr-13 14:14:30

Sorry ceremonial not celebratory! blush

Highlander Mon 08-Apr-13 14:20:57

As a woman, what she fought against to become an MP, let alone PM, was heroic.

There were tough issues that needed taken in hand. The Unions had too much control over the UK. Students really did not need Welfare during the summer break.
More thinngs that I disagree with, than agree with though........

Having had a relative with dementia, thoughts are with the family. A merciful release indeed, but still terribly sad for them.

tiggytape Mon 08-Apr-13 14:29:07

It was agreed long ago that she could have a state funeral in recognition of the fact that she was Britains first woman PM, a long serving PM who had international links and was considered one of the most important PMs of the 20th century.

Apparantly Gordon Brown is the one who originally proposed a state funeral for her when it was all being discussed in 2011

flatpackhamster Mon 08-Apr-13 14:34:07

It's days like this that reveal the truth about the Left and that their portrayal of themselves as lovely, decent caring people is exposed for the sham it really is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now