ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Does Amanda Holden have a point?

(18 Posts)
Notsoyummymummy1 Mon 08-Apr-13 09:50:50

Ok hear me out before you react to this!!! I think Amanda Holden was wrong about Mumsnet - I really struggled with PND when I first had my dd and some of the comments I got from mumsnetters got me through it so I won't hear a word against it. However I did relate to what she said about other mums judging each other and I think it does go on a lot. I am a SAHM but I would never judge any woman for going back to work yet I've had comments from working mums like "aren't you worried about Dd's social skills?" and one mum actually asked me what I do all day!! I do what she pays a childminder and cleaner to do!! I must admit I expected fellow mums to be more supportive, some are but there are lots of mums who do make judgemental comments. At the end of the day we all have our own way of parenting and as long as our children are happy and healthy does it matter?!

CalamityKate Mon 08-Apr-13 09:59:56

Who cares, really? Is there a definitive right or wrong? She came here and didn't like it. She's aired her opinion. It's true to her. Same as anyone coming here.

Saying she's wrong is like saying I'm wrong for not liking Quavers.

Mumsnet can be horribly judgemental. It can also be wonderfully supportive. I genuinely don't get why Amanda Holden -or anyone - is getting such a pasting for daring to diss Mumsnet.

It's not like she's insulted anyone's children. It's only a website FFS.

TooYappy Mon 08-Apr-13 11:05:16

I think it's quite funny, it would seem more people know about Netmums and they are getting terrible publicity.

Apparently they are all stuck all and take piss out of Netmums Moderators.

I've been watching it on This Morning, Mumsnet seems to be getting of lightly.

It would be lovely if everyone was nice to each other always. Maybe a bit boring thought tbh

TooYappy Mon 08-Apr-13 11:05:42

*stuck up (Netmums not here)

PenelopePortrait Mon 08-Apr-13 11:08:50

I think she knew slagging off mums net would get maximum publicity. And Bingo! The DM, Telegraph, This Morning; AH must be delighted "all for little old me me me me me ".

Sparklingbrook Mon 08-Apr-13 11:15:09

No.

Sparklingbrook Mon 08-Apr-13 11:18:24

Do This Morning hate MN too Penelope?

KristinaM Mon 08-Apr-13 11:19:57

Who's Amanda Holden?

JakeBullet Mon 08-Apr-13 11:20:39

I don't especially like the woman but yes....mothers can be very judgemental. I doubt she even came here anyway....it suited her agenda to write the article and get instant publicity.

Sparklingbrook Mon 08-Apr-13 11:21:08

A judge on Britain's Got Talent Kristina. She has moaned about being judged ironically.

jungletoes Mon 08-Apr-13 11:25:02

I think she has a point, women do struggle to pull together and support one another. Wanting to feel superior and "right" is often the drive with us ,I'm ashamed to say. I think back to those early toddler group days "shudder" it was all "my baby is cleverer/cuter/a better sleeper" and YOU are a failure..

Sparklingbrook Mon 08-Apr-13 11:25:12

If she had come here as a poster and got a really bad time then she would have a point. She is in the public eye, in the paper on primetime ITV1 so she was being discussed regarding her parenting choices.

BUT how an AIBU to go back to work when I don't really have to when my baby is 3 weeks old would have gone I can only imagine. confused

Notsoyummymummy1 Mon 08-Apr-13 12:21:08

Just to clarify I was asking more about how mums treat each other rather than Amanda Holden versus Mumsnet specifically

2rebecca Mon 08-Apr-13 13:49:59

Why should "mums" treat each other better than "nonmums"? We are just people, I didn't have a personality transplant when i became a mother. Most people are briefer and blunter when typing stuff on fora than when chatting.
I don't expect mumsnet to be fluffier than my hobby and job related fora.

PenelopePortrait Mon 08-Apr-13 17:24:35

sparkingbrook I meant in terms of the publicity she is receiving due to her comments. Slagging off mumsnet has got her a lot of publicity and therefore for the new series of BGT.

I think it's a cynical move on her part, after all she hasn't done much since the last series of BGT so what else has she got to talk about.

I don't believe she cares one iota about mumsnet.

Women judging other women is not exclusive to MN, it happens everywhere! Just as in RL there are all sorts on here.

MaureenMLove Mon 08-Apr-13 17:45:26

There is no more judging on here, than there is in rl. The only difference is, people are more open to speaking to someone virtually because they don't have to actually face that person in the playground or the shops again and can name change, so no one will ever know it's them!

Anyone who takes massive offence on MN, should get off it quick. Much as I love you all, and have loved being on MN for so many years, I would never flounce or get upset about what someone says to me. You're really not that important to me!

PenelopePortrait Mon 08-Apr-13 18:23:51

maureen how could you! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now