Scotsman Newspaper puts swastika on the saltire.

(63 Posts)

Can't bring myself to link to the paper, there is the image of the Saltire in their paper, but with a swastika instead of a cross.

So irrespective of how you will vote, do you think they are wrong to use nazi imagery to attack pro-independence voters?

Solopower1 Sun 07-Apr-13 22:06:58

What sort of voting system would an independent Scotland have?

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sun 07-Apr-13 22:32:22

I'd like to see STV, but AV seems to work too.

JennyPiccolo Sun 07-Apr-13 22:40:19

The herald has been consistently good with coverage of the referendum issues, in my opinion.

I will take a look at the Herald but it always seems very much a Glasgow paper - I haven't read it in about 20 years so it may have changed a lot since then!

OldLadyKnowsNothing Mon 08-Apr-13 03:37:35

The Herald has really changed in the past 20 years. It is well worth reading.

JennyPiccolo Mon 08-Apr-13 08:28:22

It's glasgow based, but more generally Scottish I would say.

I had a look online last night, unexpectedly liked it, will buy in future. Really enjoyed the online comments on articles.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Mon 08-Apr-13 22:13:20

Pleased to have won a convert. grin

NiceTabard Tue 09-Apr-13 00:08:21

Fuck me, I am utterly gobsmacked that they printed that. I can't believe it. WTAF?

wow.

Thank you nicetabard, that sums it up, I suppose they don't even deserve the negative publicity.

OldLady cheers!

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 09-Apr-13 01:24:22

Wasn't just me blush it was that there Jenny too. Have you had a look at the Sunday Herald too? Both Ian and Iain write for it. It's a brilliant read.

BombJack Tue 09-Apr-13 13:05:37

The Scotsman is wrong to use imagery like this to attack the present-day SNP. As well as being divisive, it cheapens the victims of the Nazis during WWII.

SNP supporters and members should, however, take note of the SNP's official stance during the war, which was to not support the British war effort, and actively encourage Scottish workers to avoid conscription in munitions factories.

I'm not aware of the SNP ever apologising for these actions - if they have then I stand corrected. Someone linked to the Wiki page for ex-SNP leader Arthur Donaldson earlier. Those archives at Kew Gardens make interesting (disturbing) reading.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Donaldson

It's the above that perhaps makes some people think they can (wrongly) make the Swastika comparisons today. Particularly as they still have an online shrine to Donaldson:

remember.snp.org/tributes/view/arthur_donaldson/

If someone can link to a clarification of the SNP's stance during the war, that would be good. I know it's 70 years ago now - but I can't believe they haven't addressed this in some way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now