Scotsman Newspaper puts swastika on the saltire.

(63 Posts)

Can't bring myself to link to the paper, there is the image of the Saltire in their paper, but with a swastika instead of a cross.

So irrespective of how you will vote, do you think they are wrong to use nazi imagery to attack pro-independence voters?

LadyBeagleEyes Sun 07-Apr-13 12:31:09

And Klan Alba?
WTF?

I do think its wrong. To imply that pro independence supporters are in any way similar to hitler and his ideals is bullying and down right wrong.

I think Klan Alba is a klu klux klan reference too - but I am inferring that.

LadyBeagleEyes Sun 07-Apr-13 12:39:20

What else could it be Taps?

trixymalixy Sun 07-Apr-13 12:41:05

FFS. I'm going to vote no to independence, but think this is totally wrong and quite offensive.

Well at least we are not alone in thinking it is wrong here but where is the balanced media debate that we all want? Is there a paper out there that is willing to give an opposing view? Is the media just for unionists? (Happy to be proved wrong).

Annunziata Italy Sun 07-Apr-13 12:44:05

I will vote no but that is horrible.

FannyFifer Sun 07-Apr-13 12:45:41

I am disgusted that my flag has been defaced in this manner, every Scottish person regardless of how they intend to vote should be horrified by this.

LadyBeagleEyes Sun 07-Apr-13 12:52:21

I'd be interested to hear any comments from Alex Salmond and the SNP on this.
I hope this is brought up in the Scottish parliament.

I would love to here from all the parties, even the Tories. It is just unjustifiable to me - I can't think of one reason why it would be okay to link the yes vote with Nazism?

Or even on a basic level outwith the voting debate - why would it ever be okay for The Scotsman/Scotland on Sunday to put a swastika on the saltire and put it in their newspaper?

SundaeGirl Sun 07-Apr-13 13:10:17

Wow, that's interesting. The Scotsman is nearly on it's last legs - this kind of stunt is exactly what it needs to get people reading/talking about it again.

Sorry, I realise that's not what you are posting about, OP. I'm not shocked tbh because it's just press drama. No one should actually be offended. I'm Scottish btw.

SantanaLopez Sun 07-Apr-13 13:12:37

Didn't the Herald pull a similar stunt a while ago? I remember that photo quite clearly.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sun 07-Apr-13 13:20:44

I saw this too and couldn't believe it!

It was just such a shocking, and inaccurate image.

So " press drama" makes it okay Sundae, do you also agree with the Daily Fails use of the Philpotts to hurt all people on benefits?

I agree with you on the fact that the Scotsman might see it as getting publicity at any cost but sometimes negative publicity sticks - I just hope it sticks to them like shit.

We need open, honest debate and this is a very clear example of the Bitter Together's campaign and negative attitude to the debate through a powerful media - whatever happens to The Scotsman they are one of our biggest newspapers - and although I have not bought one of their papers for a long time because they do not represent my views, I still think they need to apologise for this - it is insulting on so many levels. We have press complaints commission for a reason, and thinking it is okay to print trash needs to be called wrong. Or does anything go?

Santana can you find the Herald article? I did a quick google but couldn't find anything.

SantanaLopez Sun 07-Apr-13 13:50:07

I can't. I am sure I remember something very similar though.

I disagree with 'press drama'. There is drama and there is the clear insinuation that the Yes campaign/SNP are fascists, which is insulting to them and those who suffered from fascism no matter which way you will vote.

Bitter Together grin brilliant!

SantanaLopez Sun 07-Apr-13 13:52:10

Ah, DH has just told me the photo is from the front of Devine's book. I don't know why I connected it with the Herald confused

SantanaLopez Sun 07-Apr-13 13:52:50

[[http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scottish-Nation-1700-2000-Tom-Devine/dp/0140230041/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1365339134&sr=1-5&keywords=tom+devine Here] is the original.

SantanaLopez Sun 07-Apr-13 13:53:05

Shit. Here

SundaeGirl Sun 07-Apr-13 14:22:03

I just think I have thicker skin, that's all. Dramatic imagery is used on all sides of the debate. I wouldn't use Nazi imagery to depict nationalists, but then I wouldn't describe unionists as Bitter either.

MrsBungle Sun 07-Apr-13 14:24:53

shock I cannot believe they have done that to The Saltire angry

I think the bitter was a typo sundae hmm

SantanaLopez Sun 07-Apr-13 14:45:16

I've heard Bitter Together used quite often.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now