Anyone seen the new Class System Calculator? A right load of old trash.

(19 Posts)
IntheFrame Fri 05-Apr-13 22:30:28

I thought it totally missed the town /country divide. It was all very urban.
I guess it's just for marketing purposes though - who will buy what. Country types don't tend to buy a lot though if they have pots of cash or nothing.

sensesworkingovertime Fri 05-Apr-13 19:28:05

Ghosts, our posts crossed, I don't honestly set out to get anyones back up. I totally do get your point about public transport!!!! I think I was just getting annoyed that this thing might just serve to make rich people more smug and poor people feel worse maybe?

sensesworkingovertime Fri 05-Apr-13 19:24:30

Ghosts, I suppose jumping on a poster immediately to say ^ you don't have a clue^ is not in the least condescending on your part? And I wasn't aware there was an age limit to having an opinion?

I took the phrase calm down dear from the fairly recent insurance ad by the way.

ok fair enough, ignore my last post I'm having a bad day. Apologies. I kind of get what your trying to saying now. I just didnt think you quite got my point about public transport.

sensesworkingovertime Fri 05-Apr-13 19:16:27

I was just trying to say the whole thing seems a bit pointless and I'm not sure how they work these things out, the questions I saw being asked seemed a bit glib.

I think it would be more useful to society to find out how many people had jobs, homes and earned enough to travel (basic travel, not jet setting) and buy decent meals and do stuff they wanted to do (eg. visit a museum), take a holiday, or whatever. If putting people in these boxes benefits society all well and good, I didn't really see an explanation as to the point of it though.

And your point was senses? Your op didn't make much sense to me.

And how old are you? 95? 'calm down dear' 'tots'

Very condescending attitude. You've put my back right up

Don't patronise me please have a brew yourself

'So does that mean the people the prof was talking about don't go anywhere if they have to get a bus......I think not'

If I don't have the money for a bus fare I don't go anywhere. Simples

I wish bus travel was free for children in this area amberleaf sad Over fives have to pay.

sensesworkingovertime Fri 05-Apr-13 19:02:11

Ghosts, calm down dear, have a brew why is it you can't make a point on MN without someone shouting you down and totally missing the point the OP is trying to make in the first place? I know public transport is not free, unless you're a tot. So does that mean the people the prof was talking about don't go anywhere if they have to get a bus......I think not

AmberLeaf Fri 05-Apr-13 18:01:32

I live in london, public transport costs a bomb

So do I and I know, having lived elsewhere too that Londoners can get around cheaply if they need to.

travel costs have gone up, but if you use buses you can get around cheaply.

AmberLeaf Fri 05-Apr-13 17:59:34

At my poorest museum trips were the best thing to do because they were free and as I live in London, bus travel for children is free and would have cost £2 there and back with an oyster card for me, so I dont think the OP is far off actually.

I know other areas don't have such affordable transport though.

I think the class calculator is a load of tosh though.

It appears to go by income alone which is nonsense really.

sittinginthesun Fri 05-Apr-13 17:56:17

I tried it in the morning and it said one thing. When I showed DH in the evening, I got a completely different result!

I'm sure I was the same person, with the same income etc, so I can only assume my social interests had changed in the few hours I was at work.

dotnet Fri 05-Apr-13 17:44:55

I read in the i today a letter from someone who did the test and found himself classed 'traditional working class'. That's how my test came out as well.

Then he redid the test, only changing one answer - the one about income. Changing his income from the low amount it actually is, to £50K per annum, made him immediately emerge as Elite.

Sounds as if the questions about interests and hobbies are just a smokescreen...

What a lot of nonsense

GrowSomeCress Fri 05-Apr-13 09:51:35

I pretty much think all this 'class' stuff is bollocks anyway

NiceTabard Fri 05-Apr-13 09:50:55

Is there anything else you base you apparent outrage at this piece of work on apart from the fact she said the poorest people in society can't afford days out?

NiceTabard Fri 05-Apr-13 09:50:06

I didn't hear the professor speak but agree with ghosts that of course just because entry is free does not mean an entire outing is free. I live in london, public transport costs a bomb.

They maybe free to get in but not free to get there are they? Especially if you are relying on public transport and you have several dc. Hmm let's see. I'm on benefits. I have four dc. Ones disabled. I have to pay 2.40 child return each as the bus isn't free for the over fives. So that's £7.20 plus my return fair 4.00 so that's £11.20 in total. Plus money for picnic stuff, I've run out of bread and ham so that's another 3.00 at least. So nearly fifteen quid for a free museum trip.

You don't have a clue.

And for what it's worth I actually thought that professor had a point.

sensesworkingovertime Thu 04-Apr-13 20:37:12

What a load of bollocks, so we belong to one of 7 classes do we? Who the f*ck cares? I saw the Professor who was responsible for it on BBC Breakfast yest, she actually said that the lowest class of people who had little money were not able to go to museums/galleries because they had no money.

Most museums and galleries are FREE, I know this and I am not a professor of sociology, I just know it.

I repeat total and utter bollocks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now