I don't full understand this whole North/South Korea thing - can someone explain it to me?

(210 Posts)
KenAdams Wed 03-Apr-13 19:30:09

And why have America got involved. And what is the big deal about Chinas position?

I feel very thick blush

CheerfulYank Fri 05-Apr-13 18:44:59

Maybe people would be glad. But then it'd be "oh those ham fisted war mongering Americans" again.

And those oppressed innocent people bombed to smithereens.

harbinger Fri 05-Apr-13 19:03:01

From what I can gather Kim Jong il had three sons, with Kim Jong Un the youngest. Son Number One showed some gumption, went AWOL and does not live in NK. He has a son that seems to see NK's drawbacks.
Son number two still seems to be in NK.

I suspect that Kim Jong Un has internal power struggles with his generals.

Goading from brother number one? Brother two ?

niceguy2 Fri 05-Apr-13 19:14:05

The most likely is that the general's are the real power in NK and the 30yr old is a mere figurehead/mascot/puppet/scapegoat.

I suspect the generals are manipulating him like mad.

NicholasTeakozy Fri 05-Apr-13 21:13:25

Article on RT's website on how the US want to take South Korea into a war with the North.

Apologies for the link, for some reason I can only get on RT via the ixquick proxy. hmm

grimbletart Fri 05-Apr-13 21:28:24

I see China is moving a lot of troops up to the N. Korean border - probably to stop an influx of Korean refugees if the balloon goes up, or maybe to intervene....

If this basket case of a country did attack S Korea and the US stepped in as a result, what would China do.......? On the one hand it is clearly royally pissed off with its mad neighbour. On the other it is N Korea's backer.

harbinger Fri 05-Apr-13 21:35:12

There have been photos of KJU holding a gun.

Is the gun American?

lottieandmia Fri 05-Apr-13 22:00:09

Neither the UK nor Russia is planning to evacuate their embassies at this point according to the news.

KenAdams Wed 17-Apr-13 15:57:55

Just wanted to update as I'm halfway through the book now. You were right, it's fascinating. I genuinely didn't realise they were so oppressed. Very interesting.

quoteunquote Wed 17-Apr-13 16:03:37

it is a real insight to how this is happening, just wait until you get to the end.

AnneEyhtMeyer Wed 17-Apr-13 19:57:48

I'm half way through the book too. It is shocking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now