IDS "I could live on £53 a week"

(108 Posts)

The Work and Pensions Secretary said he could get by on 7.57 per day if he "had to"

Ok then, let's see him do it.

And not just for one week, one week is easy. He wants to try it for longer than that. Say 6 months.

And he wants to do it down south, just outside London. Somewhere with London's costs, and none of it's benefits (eg. cheaper convenient public transport). During that time he should have to apply for jobs and get to interviews - to the full distance that the jobcentre specifies.

Have to deal with emergencies like cooker breaking down etc.

On and if he could spend the first few weeks without any income at all due to delays in processing, that would add a good level of authenticity.

CecilyP Tue 09-Apr-13 12:58:04

No, I think you must be mixing him up with Ed Miliband. IDS has lived through hard times. There's an interview with him in today's Mail where he talks about living in a one-room bedsit with his girlfriend, where they shared a bathroom with three other bedsits.

Oh, for goodness sake; a small period of not being employed between leaving the army and getting a permanent job is really not living through hard times. It really isn't! I assume he left the army with a lump sum, so would have had money in the bank. He was only 27, so presumably could have moved back in with his parents - instead he chose to move in with his girlfriend in London. And, irrespective of her coming from coming from a wealthy family, she had a good job as a secretary - so there were many couples living on far less. And as for ^pounding the streets^; obviously one of them wasn't Oxford Street as I can't believe not even a single shop was hiring!

BoulevardOfBrokenSleep Mon 08-Apr-13 09:48:35

I was looking at his Wikipedia entry - IDS's life story not being at the forefront of my mind - and the only time he could've been unemployed was a brief period between leaving the army in April 1981 and taking a job selling arms at Marconi later the same year.

He married his missus in 1982 so I'm assuming she's who he was dating during said period.

It's all a little hazy as there seems to be some, er, confusion about what colleges he went to; but that seems to be the timeline.

flatpackhamster Mon 08-Apr-13 07:07:44

BoulevardOfBrokenSleep

His girlfriend... the daughter of 5th Baron Cottesloe, on whose estate they now live?

I assume that means that all the stuff that happened in his life before that wasn't real?

There really is a 'prolier than thou' attitude in this thread.

BoulevardOfBrokenSleep Sun 07-Apr-13 23:23:04

His girlfriend... the daughter of 5th Baron Cottesloe, on whose estate they now live?

"But still you'll never get it right
'cos when you're laid in bed at night watching roaches climb the wall..."

flatpackhamster Sun 07-Apr-13 21:43:05

pumpkinsweetie

The man is an absolute twat, who landed his job through inheritance. He never actually tried hard to succeed, it has all landed in his lap.

No, I think you must be mixing him up with Ed Miliband. IDS has lived through hard times. There's an interview with him in today's Mail where he talks about living in a one-room bedsit with his girlfriend, where they shared a bathroom with three other bedsits.

miggmugg Sun 07-Apr-13 05:25:57

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

greta123 Wed 03-Apr-13 17:49:08

I heard the interview with IDS on Monday. After the presenter had interviewd a self-employed man who said he had only earned £2,700 last year working full-time. He was asked if he would like to ask IDS a question. He said he'd like to ask him if he could live on £53 a week. The presenter relayed that to IDS who answered "If I had to, I would" and then went on to say something about how the Jobcentre could help the guy with a different job and/or any benefits he might be entitled to. A bit different to how some of the media presented it.

The man is an absolute twat, who landed his job through inheritance. He never actually tried hard to succeed, it has all landed in his lap.
It's him that should be grateful for what he has received, but instead he chooses to harp on about how easy it is to live of £7 a day.

He said it, in a time when cuts and caps are being made and are going to hit everyone hard so yes he should live up to what he said.

If he doesn't want/think he can, then tough shit he shouldn't have opened his gob before thinking first.

The size of him, cant see £7 keeping him in food let alone anything else grin, he obviously doesn't take note of Change4Life campaign either.

He is a horrid specimen of the highest order, infact in don't even think he is from our planet tbh.

If he won't practice what he preaches, maybe he could tell us exactly how he would live off £53 and have a chat with us mnetters on why he thinks those on welfare live such wonderful lifes.

AndieDisestablishment Wed 03-Apr-13 15:36:42

I'm raging about this flippant and insulting remark and the fact that he's now using the petition as a stick to beat "the lefties" with, saying it's a distraction.
As a family of two adults and two children the DWP expect us to be able to live off £112 per week (our rent and council tax is paid) It costs us £40 per week to feed our gas and electricity meters (that's with all but one radiator off during the day and the boiler being turned off when the kids go to sleep at 7). If I wanted the whole house to be warm it would be £50/£60 per week instead! Despite feeding all this into the meter my last quarterly bill was in debt (how do they work out that you're in debt on a prepay account?!) We have other debts from before we started claiming as my partner was self employed and was hoping beyond hope that he would obtain a new contract and not need to claim benefits, which in themselves took a month to process. So we have around £20 per week of debt to pay. A weekly bus pass is £15 which is needed to get to the jobcentre, shops, interviews (ha!) So that leaves us with £37 per week to feed four, pay water rates, telephone, Internet (telephone and Internet are apparently essential because DWP are using the Internet for everything now and you have to phone them constantly to remind them they're not doing their jobs properly!) My tax credits have been cut off because they didn't send me the right forms when I moved in with my partner so I am currently super gluing my DS's shoes so that he has something to wear to school. It's a good job he's on Easter holiday as I can't afford to wash his uniform this week! So if IDS would like to try living on JSA (however much it is for a single person because even £71 doesn't cover much) then I bloody well think he should.
NB: My partner and I will be off benefits soon but not much better off as child care will set us back £270 per week so that lovely £1200 per year they're giving us after slashing our tax credits will be SO welcome. Clueless gits.

BertieBotts Germany Tue 02-Apr-13 23:22:04
Jux Tue 02-Apr-13 21:47:51

My fantasy about IDS now is that they make him do a reality tv show where he has to live on benefits, find a flat, survive until we the voters vote for him to go home again. We could keep him there for years, and he'd never kow when he was going home.....

BertieBotts Germany Tue 02-Apr-13 21:00:18

Yes, I got it from the library and then liked it so much I bought it and used it in one of my university essays about the welfare system!

Something which really struck me was when she bought some curtains but then got back to realise she didn't have a curtain rail, and lacked the money to buy one, and ended up making some makeshift curtains with a sheet or something. Then the next day when she was walking around the estate she noticed that loads of other tenants had similar arrangements, sheets, towels, flags hung up crudely in windows instead of curtains. I always notice it now too. It's the kind of thing that makes a house look like the inhabitants are lazy/workshy, but in reality it's just the kind of thing that's never going to make it to the top of the priority list over other things like food, debts, bills etc.

ttosca Tue 02-Apr-13 20:49:37

A DirectGov petition finally made it through, after one was denied:

epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47898

If you'd like to see IDS subsisting on £53 / week debated in Parliament, we need 100K signatures. ;)

Please sign.

BertieBotts, the book by Polly Toynbee was called "hard work", I got it from the library one time. She lived on the breadline, taking on a series of minimum wage jobs and exploring the initial costs of setting up home etc. it is most enlightening, IDS should read itwink.

Jellykat Tue 02-Apr-13 19:56:26

Wow, over 300,000 signatures!
They mentioned the petition on the 10 o clock news last night, hope more media pick up on it and it keeps gathering momentum.

ssd Tue 02-Apr-13 19:48:12

she is a total hypocrite

Viviennemary Tue 02-Apr-13 19:29:02

I quite like Diane Abbot. But for all her leftie views she still sent her son to private school. sad

ssd Tue 02-Apr-13 19:15:33

Dianne Abbot cant stand her

Because however much it will never change his life, it may change his thinking and hopefully make him realise a life on benefits isn't something people choose or aspire to.

Chipstick10 Tue 02-Apr-13 19:03:27

That's what politicians do every day of the week. Laws are made that wont affect them. Diane abbot was quite happy to send her child to a very expensive school. Not so happy for us to do it though.

ssd Tue 02-Apr-13 18:57:38

the point is he's making laws that force others to do something he has no idea of

Chipstick10 Tue 02-Apr-13 18:04:44

Of course he will never have to do it. What politician would be in a position where they would have to. It's like when people where berating the queen when she had to do a photo opportunity drinking tea in a council house. Poor woman looked completely uncomfortable just as the woman whose house it was would be if she had high tea at buck house. I don't get the point.

Tortington Tue 02-Apr-13 17:56:58

hes worth over a millioin - or his wife is, he will never 'have to do it'

its a bit like me saying ' I could walk on the moon if i had to'

Chipstick10 Tue 02-Apr-13 17:51:08

He didn't actually say he could do it, he said he would do if it he had to. That's something completely different.

ssd Tue 02-Apr-13 17:38:01

keep on signing folks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now