Tory scum about to unleash a sh*tstorm of destructive policies over Easter - who wants to bet on riots?

(115 Posts)
ttosca Fri 29-Mar-13 00:17:20

The 'Bedroom tax', Universal Credit, and various other welfare and public service cuts to be implemented in the coming weeks and months.

Tens of thousands of people will be utterly f**ked by this government. What do you think is going to happen?

www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/mar/28/benefit-cuts-monday-defines-government

The last time the Conservatives had a majority was 20(?) years go. Who wants to bet they'll never have one again?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 29-Mar-13 13:44:24

That's brilliant Pan !

Pan Fri 29-Mar-13 13:47:01

it is isn't it? IT would just be funnier if there was a bit less truth in it. Tories have been gagging to do this sort of stuff for years.

montmartre Fri 29-Mar-13 14:31:50

shro- that was 2011, nothing to do with politics, and everything to do with jumping on a bandwagon and doing a bit of looting.
Last year was the olympics.

And following on from richelieu's quip of it being too cold to riot... the august 'riots' stopped as soon as it started raining. (In bham at least)

Startail Fri 29-Mar-13 14:50:14

I think inciting riots is illegal?

scottishmummy Fri 29-Mar-13 14:56:46

Why have you censored shitstorm,with cutsey whops don't say it *
Riots unlikely,I don't think people are that politicized
Snp councils apparently refusing to implement this

ttosca Fri 29-Mar-13 14:58:04

Err... I'm not inciting riots. I'm not telling anyone to do anything. I'm saying that there could be an outbreak of violence when thousands of people find themselves literally unable to afford to live and pay the rent anymore.

I agree that peaceful civil disobedience is the way forward, seeing as violence alienates the middle-classes and allows the state to frame any dissent as thuggery.

ttosca Fri 29-Mar-13 14:58:58

> Why have you censored shitstorm,with cutsey whops don't say it *

Not trying to be cutesy. I have no problems with cursing. I just thought that MN would probably censor it for me if I didn't do it myself. They've censored headings before.

Leithlurker Fri 29-Mar-13 15:18:55

I was making the point that civil disobedience was needed, but if you consider the actions of people with impairments in London back in the 80's where they chained themselves to buses, brought major roads in London to a standstill, created a massive amount of disruption, pissed of many thousands of people, most of whom got angry. The possibility of violence is always present especially in places like London and Glasgow where we have seen some very handed policing. The police in Edinburgh on Thursday were brilliant and totally understood our right to make our protest. They have in the past and I hope to god they continue to see that we have a perfect legitimate right to protest and to voice our opposition. The bedroom tax marches all across the country tomorrow will be interesting to see both how they are reported and how they are policed.

Be in no doubt though that we are sitting on a powder keg, people who have nothing to lose because they are starving, homeless, cold, and demoralised see little point obeying rules that only seem to be their for the purpose of denying them their democratic right to dissent. The same democratic right that every politicle party wants us to exercise every election.

Chipstick10 Fri 29-Mar-13 15:24:20

Why would anybody want to see rioting.?

perplexedpirate Fri 29-Mar-13 15:27:30

I think there may well be riots. sad
Seeing their children starve tends to re-politicise a population fairly quickly.

Leithlurker Fri 29-Mar-13 15:28:53

If you want to be pessimistic about it, the con deems want to see rioting so that they can say to the hard pressed middle "See this is why we need welfare reform, and mandatory workfare, the poor need a firm hand."

ttosca Fri 29-Mar-13 15:35:21

Our Last Good Friday: Easter Monday Beginning of the End for UK Poor

As the UK breaks up for Easter weekend most people are quietly ignorant, by circumstance or choice, of the beginning of the end of the welfare state, which begins on Easter Monday. Today we take a look at what will be happening, how people will be hit, and what we can all do to bring it to a full stop.

scriptonitedaily.wordpress.com/2013/03/29/our-last-good-friday-easter-monday-beginning-of-the-end-for-uk-poor/

MiniTheMinx Fri 29-Mar-13 15:41:56

Very good point leith. I agree with you we need civil disobedience. We need every worker not just union members to down tools and refuse to work until Scameron agrees to pack his suitcase. I would place a bet that it would take a maximum of three or four days. After the twin tours in New York, Julius came out the next day and told the New Yorkers to go back to work and get out their credit cards. 24 hrs is all it took for the city leaders to realise that no work and no spending means imminent collapse of the economy. It would take only a few hours for scameron to realise that staying put would be irresponsible. What is needed is for people to start finding other non-monetary means of exchange and building solidarities so that basic needs can be met whilst we all strike.

Leithlurker Fri 29-Mar-13 16:50:40

Whoa steady on there minx, I like the cut of your jib but I think the idea of all out strikes are consigned to the 1920, and even then a goodly number of the right and entitled middle class and the upper classes as well as fascists went and drove trams, worked in power stations, did whatever they could to break the general strike. Now I think the danger is that people are far too self centred and concerned only about themselves to think about taking collective action.

On the whole though I do agree that marching is pointless, for some it's a pleasant day out for others it's a political act, and for many disabled people its a pointless waste of scare energy. We need something short and sharp, downing tools for an extended lunch break, from 11 till 2, no one does anything at all. Or hit and run actions, remember the fuel protests? But seriously Blaire showed that if you have the brass neck you can ignore mass marches. I will still be going tomorrow weather permitting, but it is to show solidarity with my friends and community members not in any expectation that it will change anything, and certainly not to listen to politicians using a grass roots protest to help themselves.

Nancy66 Fri 29-Mar-13 17:10:32

The riots of 2011 were fuck all to do with welfare cuts or any other polical agenda

nenevomito Fri 29-Mar-13 17:19:04

Riots?

What about the disabled who are affected by the benefit cuts? How will those with mental health problems or physical disabilities or learning difficulties get out there and riot, while they are systematically fucked over and left struggling financially.

It makes me sick.

I get DLA. My DF had a rant about people on DLA, but apparently its not ME he has a problem with, just the people who claim who don't deserve it. His diet of the Daily Express means he's too tied into the "scrounger" dictum that he can't see that its people like me that its talking about.

perplexedpirate Fri 29-Mar-13 17:19:06

Is anyone saying they were? confused

MiniTheMinx Fri 29-Mar-13 17:28:05

So if talking gets us nowhere, riots get you bludgeoned by a copper, ranting gets you removed, holding up a card to scameron lands you in court and the sick, disabled and poor are just too weak to fight........what then? Surely we can't just sit back and let people starve and be made homeless. I'm angry that capitalism makes people defunct, unwanted and unemployed, creates welfare need and then the same capitalist scum make those same people starve. Its sick and its about time the middle class wake up otherwise the water will be washing around their knees too.

ttosca Fri 29-Mar-13 17:29:06

The disabled, those who have suffered the most at the hands of this sociopathic government should be at the centre of any protest.

I think the Coalition of Resistance are organising a big demo - aiming to be larger than the anti Iraq war demo of 2003 - some time in the summer. It is obviously inclusive for all people, families, and disabled people.

I'll try and find links to upcoming protests in the coming days and weeks.

buckingfollocks Fri 29-Mar-13 17:40:08

Another change that sees to have escaped media attention is the end of Council Tax Benefit. The Tories have stopped it, forced local authorities to come up with localised policies, massively reduced funding and have protected their core voters pensioners. The result of which is in most local authorities all people of working age are now having to pay Council Tax, including those on Income Support, Job Seekers and ESA. I wonder how long it will be until large numbers of these start getting behind with their payments, start getting reminders and being summonsed and then having to pay additional costs? What will their reaction be? If it was me and I was being asked to pay £10 or £15 a month out of only £65 a week I would be very upset

LineRunner Fri 29-Mar-13 17:45:16

bucking I think that lots of people won't pay the (approx) £2.50 a week because word is out that councils won't be able to afford to collect it.

However, I think that could be wrong - and I imagine that is some areas there will be long dockets for mass enforcement hearings (hundreds at a time); and also that people's credit ratings will be stuffed so they can only get ridiculously expensive loans which will put them into more debt and mess up their housing options in the future.

LineRunner Fri 29-Mar-13 17:45:41

in some areas

lottieandmia Fri 29-Mar-13 17:52:17

I don't know how or why anyone can support these policies. I find it utterly disgusting that they are restricting the way that people claim so that some people are simply unable to do so.

expatinscotland Fri 29-Mar-13 17:53:52

They do not give a flying fuck about anyone but their own, rich cronies. They spin and sheeple fall for their Wag the Dog BS.

lottieandmia Fri 29-Mar-13 17:54:58

ttosca, do you know how we can find out about these protests? I've realised I need to go to them. It's no good just moaning about these arseholes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now