Petition about the Daily Mail

(21 Posts)
Roisin Sun 24-Mar-13 14:35:16
HeySoulSister Sun 24-Mar-13 14:42:37

do we know for certain this is why she committed suicide

he seems horrible!

kim147 Sun 24-Mar-13 17:35:19

Please read the thread here - it's a very complicated issue. I don't think the DM is to blame but I do think the media have a lot of responsiblity in how they treat people leading innocent lives.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/in_the_news/1713675-Transsexual-teacher-commits-suicide

HeySoulSister Sun 24-Mar-13 18:15:55

The media here is just one man.... Ok he sounds awful.... But petitions against him etc, isn't that just doing the same thing all over again?

Hounding him. Does he have a wife? Kids?

Smudging Sun 24-Mar-13 18:19:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KirstyoffEastenders Sun 24-Mar-13 18:27:53

Signed and linked to FB. It's about time that scumbag was sacked.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sun 24-Mar-13 18:29:35

And how will you all feel if Littlejohn tops himself?

Smudging Sun 24-Mar-13 18:42:05

lemonmuffin Sun 24-Mar-13 18:44:45

It would be a loss to his wife, children and family.

Redbindy Sun 24-Mar-13 18:56:41

The DM has always employed columnists like him. he's just a paid mouthpiece (and not very original at that). The petition should be against the editor and managers who sanction his diatribes rather than just him. As for his wife and kids - feel sorry for them.

kim147 Sun 24-Mar-13 18:57:03

I just hope this episode makes the media reflect on how their words can have an effect on real people just trying to live their lives. It's all very well to spout an opinion but words can have a damaging effect.

Smudging Sun 24-Mar-13 19:35:32

hatgirl Sun 24-Mar-13 19:41:37

I agree with other posters who feel this type of witch hunt makes us as bad as the perpatrator - I have highlighted Lucy's death in my own life both on facebook and in person but I have stopped short of mentioning RLJ or the daily mail specifically and have asked people to make their own minds up.

This what I wrote on my facebook page

^For anyone remotely interested in the whole newspaper free speech etc etc debate, please remember/ think for a moment about Lucy Meadows who died this week.

Most of you won't of heard of her... and those of you that have probably never would have if it hadn't been for sensationalist reporting. Because, Lucy didn't set out to ever feature in the media, it was forced upon her by people wanting to sell papers or make money out of selling 'someone elses' private story to the papers^

www.newstatesman.com/media/2013/03/press-regulation-freedom-speech-and-death-lucy-meadows

www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/mar/22/lucy-meadows-press-harassment

sexonomics-uk.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/her-name-was-lucy-meadows.html

personally I hope that this makes RLJ realise the enormity of what he has done, but I doubt it. People like him don't consider that there may be be another view point.

kim147 Sun 24-Mar-13 19:49:32

I really hope it does make him think. But it was not just the DM but also the local media.

Thing is - trans people are still targets. This sums up why this story is important.

faeinterrupted.wordpress.com/2013/03/24/whats-it-all-about/

I posted a thread about the original article back in Christmas as it really upset me and I could see the effect it would have. Unfortunately some people defended the freedom of speech.

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Sun 24-Mar-13 19:49:33

Isn't this almost exactly like what happened to the nurse involved in the Royal family prank?

The DJ's were sacked.

hatgirl Sun 24-Mar-13 21:33:38

I only saw the national news at the time and not the local news.

one day people such as Lucy will just be able to get on with their lives, it WILL happen.

People just aren't going to get angry enough about transgender issues yet, it is too alien for most people still... gentle awareness and acceptance is the first battle, but there isn't going to be huge public outpouring of grief like the kate middleton nurse for sometime yet.

in my life.. posting inflammatory information on Facebook wasn't going to get me very far. Too many ill-informed people about that sort of thing that are otherwise rational people. Framing it in terms of a press regulation basis rather than a transgender specific issue is the best course of action I can see at the moment.

Ponders Sun 24-Mar-13 21:34:39

not really, puds.

& the nurse had previous mental health problems, poor woman.

& the DJs weren't sacked afaik?

Nancy66 Mon 25-Mar-13 10:33:49

The DJs weren't sacked and neither will Littlejohn be.

The wording of the petition is ridiculous

GroupieGirl Mon 25-Mar-13 10:41:18

Littlejohn is just one man. There have been many inflammatory articles about trans-women and -men, going back years. Julie Burchill. Suzanne Moore. Sacking Littlejohn would not change our society's general attitude to trans-people.

kim147 Mon 25-Mar-13 10:44:12

The sad thing is also how her death was reported in the papers. Her wish was to be a women but in death, the media still used male names, male pronouns and a photograph illegally taken from her sister's FB account.

I fear that this is the way trans stories will continue to be reported and nothing will be learnt.

MaidMiniEgg2012 Wed 03-Apr-13 21:08:24

Fucking signed it.

Stuff Littlejohn, small minded prig.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now