Transsexual teacher commits suicide

(227 Posts)
kim147 Thu 21-Mar-13 13:48:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kim147 Thu 28-Mar-13 13:57:41

beansmeansbooks Thu 28-Mar-13 10:27:10

This is a very good breakdown of how the "story" unfolded and to which extent the DM is / isn't to blame.

SpecialAgentDaenerysTargaryen Thu 28-Mar-13 09:04:16

SergeantSnarky Wed 27-Mar-13 02:08:49

Excellent article today and petition going strong

GoshAnneGorilla Wed 27-Mar-13 00:10:28

That is great news, worth writing to our M.P's about.

LandofTute Tue 26-Mar-13 22:56:38

Good news

kim147 Tue 26-Mar-13 22:45:15

siiiiiiiiigh Sat 23-Mar-13 23:45:18

I worked with a woman, who'd presented in a man's body. Forgive me if that's not PC way of putting it - I remain, to my shame, clumsy.

The point is, she told me that her condition was a terminal one. That, if she couldn't transition in her workplace, and live her life as she needed it to be, that it would be unbearable. And, like Lucy, she worked with vulnerable people (in NHS)

Anyhoo, OUR workplace closed ranks round her and spat in the faces of the hacks round the hospital gates until they got bored and wandered off.

She's now post-op. And, happily, alive.

Trans can be a life-limiting conditon. It's not, but, it is.

That's tragic. I'm glad it worked out well for my colleague, and sad that it did not for Lucy. Just, pure, sad.

Fucks' sake. Not sad, just, pure, mad.

RIP, Lucy.

kim147 Sat 23-Mar-13 21:16:35

Ponders Sat 23-Mar-13 20:29:54

the Littlejohn piece was actually published three months ago, on 20th Dec. That was just one day after news articles appeared in the Lancashire media, accompanied by comments from families attending the school suggesting that some of them were already a bit concerned about the situation.

eg Lancashire Telegraph, 19th Dec

Has the DM published anything else about it since? Is this sad outcome really their responsibility?

WidowWadman Sat 23-Mar-13 19:33:13

Looks like some people have started organising boycott against advertisers of the Daily Mail in protest.

kim147 Sat 23-Mar-13 09:11:37

JillJ72 Sat 23-Mar-13 08:49:27

I think it's poppycock that children can't be told a simple version of the truth. They are a lot more accepting than adults. I have signed. I am saddened by this. Just because I am happy in my skin doesn't mean it's OK for someone else not to be, because they're "not like me". Equality and diversity, more and more those words make sense to me. Things have got to change, and that starts with our children.

Kim - I wish you well.

KRITIQ Sat 23-Mar-13 01:33:43

Kim, only just saw this here, but been thinking of you since story broke on Twitter. I have no words for what happened. RIP Lucy Meadows and please, please take care if you do decide to share your story anywhere. Seem to be alot of women being blasted for speaking out about misogyny, transmisogyny, racism, etc on t'interweb. Take care of yourself x

MsTakenidentity Fri 22-Mar-13 23:26:46

I've contacted the Guardian as I want to tell my story. Apparently one of the editors was in the same year as me at school > God bless you Kim - but please take care x

WidowWadman Fri 22-Mar-13 22:54:38

Reading about the doorstepping, the hounding, the bribing to get pictures of someone who was just going about their own life is making me angry. There was no need for this, they don't have the public interest defence.

The phone hacking scandal was bad. This is worse.

And at the same time there's all the gnashing of teeth and wailing about Leveson wanting to kill the free press by the same outlets who have driven this woman (and doubtlessly other people too). Wankers.

Smithson6 Fri 22-Mar-13 22:28:45

I totally understand why you would want to do that but would still worry about confidentiality in the press. I've seen the Guardian's anonymous features on first person experiences and enjoy reading them but would still worry about you. Its hard to retain anonymity when there are such a small pool of transexual teaching staff, you might be more identifiable than you think- even as an anonymous voice.

kim147 Fri 22-Mar-13 22:23:22

Smithson6 Fri 22-Mar-13 22:18:23

Kim are you sure? you are hurting right now- that's a big decision. maybe take a couple of weeks and see if you still feel the same way then? I'm not saying dont do it, just give yourself a bit more time maybe?

Sunnywithshowers Fri 22-Mar-13 22:16:32

That's a much nicer article Kim.

It is so nonsensical that people are being discriminated against in this way.
I'm so sad that Natacha is able to be herself at Goldsmith's (am a student there and it's great) but has to be someone else for her students. sad

kim147 Fri 22-Mar-13 22:15:02

siiiiiiiiigh Fri 22-Mar-13 22:03:18

Kim, a close friend of mine committed suicide. For a long time I felt terribly guilty - if only I'd called, if only I'd popped round, if only I'd been more attentive she might not have done it. But, she wanted to die. And so, she did. It's heartbreakingly sad, and it's painful still - but, you shouldn't feel responsible for Lucy's pain. After all, you were not the cause of that pain which she could not suffer. x

Smithson6 Fri 22-Mar-13 22:02:37

RIP Lucy and love and support to Kim. So, so sad. x

kim147 Fri 22-Mar-13 21:52:05

kim147 Fri 22-Mar-13 21:50:20

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now