Transsexual teacher commits suicide

(227 Posts)
kim147 Thu 21-Mar-13 13:48:09

A teacher who came out as transsexual and was treated to a horrible article in the DM by Richard Littlejohn has committed suicide. Despite support from the school, she received loads of hate mail.

That should have been me in the media but they never found out. I can't believe society.

RIP Lucy Meadows

HippiTEEHoppoTEE Thu 21-Mar-13 13:51:23

How sad. I don't see any news reports about it, though. How do you know?

PigeonStreet Thu 21-Mar-13 13:51:29

That is Such sad news. I am really appalled by some people's narrowmindedness and cruel behaviour.

Bloody hell! Here we go again. I hope he is sacked, yes I actually do.

what, she received hate mail for daring to be born in the wrong body?

absolutely disgusting that attitudes like that still exist nowadays.

kim147 Thu 21-Mar-13 13:54:31

It's come out on my FB page from someone who knew her.
The bloody media have gone too far this time feeding people's prejudices.

Sorry Kim,bit confused are you saying you are transsexual?
What I'm confused by is, isn't his article direct discrimination? I know in an employment setting it would be illegal, how about here? Wonder whether he gets the same opportunities to air other no doubt bigoted views.

OHforDUCKScake Thu 21-Mar-13 13:55:22

How do you know this?

No lessons are learned.

OHforDUCKScake Thu 21-Mar-13 13:56:02

Sorry X posted.

kim147 Thu 21-Mar-13 13:56:39

spb Yes - I am a transsexual teacher. I came out 2 years ago and the biggest thing I worried about was the media reaction.

Darkesteyes Thu 21-Mar-13 13:57:10

Oh my god. Thats awful. Poor woman.. Cant Littlejohn be prosecuted for transphobia.
I cant believe the cruelty of people. i am fast losing faith in human nature.

RIP Lucy .

Good for you Kim.
I hope he is sacked, despite all that happened when Kate Middleton was in hospital.

sad

In 2013. Some people are still in the Dark Ages.

I don't want a link to rhe article but does anyone know what it said?

PetiteRaleuse Thu 21-Mar-13 13:59:58

I remember that article he wrote - it ws vile even by his standards. How sad that it led to this. RIP Lucy.

SergeantSnarky Thu 21-Mar-13 14:01:29

Oh God that is awful Kim.

I remember reading the letter the school had sent out and being so impressed with how supportive the head seemed.

That is a great shame, it really is.

As for you my lovely - am always impressed with your input on threads and if any media arse were to give you any shit then am sure mumsnetters would rally round you smile

Ok just read it. I started off thinking you were overreacting but actually the stuff at the bottom is basically WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN and saying she should change school.
Children will not be damaged by this. They will be damaged to see that if there's anything differnt about you, you live in fear of disapproval.

Darkesteyes Thu 21-Mar-13 14:03:37

Yes we would.

I wish shed been on mn

Sunnywithshowers Thu 21-Mar-13 14:05:35

That man is utter, utter scum.

I'm so sorry for that poor woman. There's no way she should have been hounded. sad

ElliesWellies Thu 21-Mar-13 14:06:19

Oh no, how terribly sad. It must be hard enough to feel like you were born into the wrong body. Why on earth does anyone need to make it harder? People should just shut up, live and let live.

Fluffymonster Thu 21-Mar-13 14:06:36

I'm hoping this isn't true - no sign of it on Twitter or Google.

So very sad if it is - the school seemed very supportive (well done them), the teacher was described as popular...so tragic if she was subjected to hate mail.

Ignorant, hate-filled shits.

kim147 Thu 21-Mar-13 14:07:12

The school website has the news on the front page sad

Icelollycraving Thu 21-Mar-13 14:09:01

Very sad. Tragic. I do not know the story,but prejudice is such hateful human behaviour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now