Transsexual teacher commits suicide

(227 Posts)
kim147 Thu 21-Mar-13 13:48:09

A teacher who came out as transsexual and was treated to a horrible article in the DM by Richard Littlejohn has committed suicide. Despite support from the school, she received loads of hate mail.

That should have been me in the media but they never found out. I can't believe society.

RIP Lucy Meadows

kim147 Fri 22-Mar-13 10:23:49

This is probably the best place to get advice especially for journalists.

www.transmediawatch.org/media.html

I think it's polite to use "she" even when referring to the past.

Sunnywithshowers Fri 22-Mar-13 10:28:56

Today's Metro used male names and pronouns too sad

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 22-Mar-13 10:39:13

Hi there,

We've moved this to ITN now.

beansmeansbooks Fri 22-Mar-13 11:44:01
TheYamiOfYolk Fri 22-Mar-13 12:18:36

I've been thinking about this since I heard he news yesterday evening. Poor, poor woman.

TheYamiOfYolk Fri 22-Mar-13 12:53:00

And I would be happy for you to teach my kids, Kim, and I live in your area.

That what makes it so horrible, as well. It's not just one woman being driven to her death (although that's the worst part), but hundreds of other people in fear of media exposure, and employers having the media to consider when they hire someone new, and people being scared of being open and honest because what happens is that you get a hateful colums written about you.

notcitrus Fri 22-Mar-13 13:10:19

Thank you people on this thread for restoring my faith in MN as being mostly full of decent people. Too often threads on trans issues are full of people claiming trans women aren't really women and to say they are is unfeminist, which is a pile of crap but the threads stay...

Good luck Kim.

kim147 Fri 22-Mar-13 13:19:19

Thanks - the support means a lot to me. I can't explain how much this story has affected me. I knew that the media story might happen to me but I was lucky as I did not have a full time class and was mainly a support tutor and part time teacher.

I was terrified the first day I came out - I looked for any media as I drove up. But nothing. The children were really good. I also did support at a secondary school - walking round that school was frightening. Never had so many looks. The head there approached it differently - she rang up the parents who I tutored. 1 parent was not happy having me sad

But I escaped media coverage. Lucy didn't. Apparently the press were hounding her at her house, ringing her up and trying to get a photo. How do you cope with that?

I'm still crying over this.

Sunnywithshowers Fri 22-Mar-13 13:26:49

(((Kim))) thanks

GoshAnneGorilla Fri 22-Mar-13 13:33:04

Kim - you know I think you're amazingly brave, although I wish you didn't have to be, it should be no big deal to live the life that is right for you.

I'm glad this thread has been supportive, there has been hideous transphobia on MN, I hope all those who were defending/justifying Julie Birchill's vile piece take some time to reflect.

Transphobia isn't just nasty, it kills. R.I.P Lucy.

With this and the handling of other recent stories, I'm disgusted with the U.K media.

MardyBra Fri 22-Mar-13 13:48:10

I was in a cafe earlier and flicked through the papers. I couldn't see this story covered at all in The Times and there was just a small paragraph hidden away in the depths of the DM. I wouldn't have been aware of this without MN. Thanks for bringing it to our attention kim.

giraffesCantDateDucks Fri 22-Mar-13 14:00:01

sad

Fluffymonster Fri 22-Mar-13 15:00:34

It's weird, this story has affected me too - I can hardly believe it, but have been quite teary when I read this thread, yet I have had no personal dealings in RL with trans issues.

Perhaps it's just a simple matter of feeling really sad that anyone can be made to feel so sh*t about who they are deep down - I think 'being born with a girl's brain trapped in a boy's body' is a really good way of putting it. How is anyone in a position to judge that? Sigh. Heavy heart these past couple of days.

I've actually felt compelled to write to the Head Teacher of the school, to pass condolences to Lucy's family and to the staff and pupils - and to say I applaud the support they showed. Don't know if it would help, but just wanted to take the time, say something. Not written a real (as in handwritten, on paper) letter in years!!

kim147 Fri 22-Mar-13 15:03:18

I emailed the head yesterday and thanked them for their support.

everlong Fri 22-Mar-13 15:07:35

I think this tragedy has affected many for different reasons.

Suicide is an extremely sensitive area for me. Anybody that feels that desperate to go through with it touches me. Especially in cases like this where someone is publicly humiliated.

Kim I hope you feel the support here for you flowers

BornInACrossFireHurricane Fri 22-Mar-13 15:51:03

Kim, I think you're wonderful. I really hope all the support and love you have on here goes some way to helping with all the utter crap you have to deal.

RIP Lucy xx I truly hope that odious, smug little man loses his job so he can't spread his bile anymore.

MuggleMum Fri 22-Mar-13 20:44:43

Found the petition. Here it is, if you haven't signed already,
t.co/qSZFDJIsOb

MuggleMum Fri 22-Mar-13 20:45:44

http://t.co/qSZFDJIsOb
You have to scroll down a bit ...

AllPurposeNortherner Fri 22-Mar-13 21:12:13

A trans friend of mine blogged about it here

AllPurposeNortherner Fri 22-Mar-13 21:17:43

Something about the Mail article saying "Miss Lucy Meadows" but not "Mr Nathan Upton" is horrible. I think it just makes it sound more mocking somehow - it is obviously that Lucy is a female name, putting in the Miss makes it sound somehow mocking.

Completely agree with you AllPurpose - I noticed that emphasis. The original article was absolutely disgusting too, just so mocking and cruel.

WidowWadman Fri 22-Mar-13 21:35:27

The Bethany Black blogpost is brilliant. Loved the "but we've just built a conservatory" bit.

Meanwhile, a Daily Fail Spokesman is quoted to have said

""It is regrettable that this tragic death should now be the subject of an orchestrated twitterstorm, fanned by individuals – including former Labour spin doctor Alastair Campbell – with agendas to pursue."

Speechless

kim147 Fri 22-Mar-13 21:35:43

The Daily Mail does not think it's done anything wrong.

www.channel4.com/news/transsexual-teacher-dies-after-hitting-headlines

"In a statement, a Daily Mail spokesman told Channel 4 News: "It is regrettable that this tragic death should now be the subject of an orchestrated twitterstorm, fanned by individuals – including former Labour spin doctor Alastair Campbell – with agendas to pursue.

"They might do well to consider today's words of media commentator Roy Greenslade: 'Let me begin this posting by urging that people do not rush to judgment... It is important to note that there is no clear link – indeed any link – between what Littlejohn wrote and the death of Lucy Meadows.'

"Our thoughts are with the family and friends of Lucy Meadows.""

Does he have no idea of the sheer hell Lucy went through once her story came out?

It's been great reading the support on MN. It's been a very hard day and it is so close to home for me. I just wish I could have been there for her and supported her through this as a fellow transsexual primary teacher.

Darkesteyes Fri 22-Mar-13 21:39:06

Kim you sound like a lovely person and a wonderful teacher and if i had Dcs i would be pleased if they had you as a teacher thanks

Im sorry you are so upset sad

Darkesteyes Fri 22-Mar-13 21:42:31

I saw Alistair Campbells tweet earlier. The Mail really have no fucking idea do they. They hounded someone to their death. BASTARDS.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now