Phillpots trial is anybody following it?

(174 Posts)
Minimammoth Thu 14-Mar-13 18:51:30

I am shock.

Pantah630 Tue 02-Apr-13 23:52:58

Apparently Maireads sisters tried to get her to leave but she wouldn't. Therefore she had help if she'd wanted it, maybe she was so scared she couldn't go or maybe she wanted to stay. We'll never know the truth in her actions.

The BBC documentary was very distressing and you can feel the despair at the inability to understand the Philpotts actions coming off her family, their friends, the police and teachers in spades. The priest and headmaster of the senior school not though, they seemed more bemused, I can't put my finger on why, but I was confused at their words. A very, very sad story, those poor children.

DolomitesDonkey Wed 03-Apr-13 10:34:29

I'm curious about Mairead because it's been implied that she came from the travelling community - whom I thought were very protective of their community and really do not like the girls "marrying out". Can anyone shed any light on this?

DolomitesDonkey Wed 03-Apr-13 10:34:54

i.e., why didn't her brothers & cousins beat 7 shades of shit out of him 10 years ago?

phantomnamechanger Wed 03-Apr-13 11:28:28

I watched the news and panorama weeping last night.
I wanted to watch it to try to fathom how these people live and think.

Aside from their sex lives, the most shocking facts for me were the singing karaoke days after the deaths, and the food fight in the hospital while the older boy, who they did not go and see, lay dying.

Amazing that the children all seem to have been so well adjusted and happy at school etc, RIP babies. So tragic.

her sisters seem to have tried again and again to get her to see sense and leave Mick - what the attrcation was I will never comprehend, but he was certainly a bully and a control freak and I doubt he knew the meaning of "love" as the majority of parents understand it.

vivizone Wed 03-Apr-13 16:24:53

Can someone link the Panorama show. Thanks

EmmelineGoulden Wed 03-Apr-13 16:54:33
IrrelevantElephant Wed 03-Apr-13 17:40:51

I saw they were found guilty, but I hadn't seen anywhere what sentences they had been given- has that been decided yet?

Minimammoth Wed 03-Apr-13 17:43:01

No, the judge has said she needs more time to think on it. I imagine Mairaed's sentence will be shorter.

vivizone Wed 03-Apr-13 18:05:56

Thank you Emmeline.

I can't imagine what it is like to lose 6 kids in one go. They both can't be 'normal' in the head. They just can't.

How does a mother lose her senses enough to be involved in the murder of her 6 kids? had the kids survived they would have had to live with the knowledge their parents poured petrol to their home whilst they were sleeping. It's utterly mind blowing.

Do you think the parents suffer from under development of the brain? I don't know how to ask this question properly but I am leaning on learning development not functioning.

How did the brain decide this was a good idea? a 10 year old could tell you this is not a good idea under 5 seconds.

To imagine children being brought up by such senseless people is just sad. I could weep.

MinnieBar Wed 03-Apr-13 18:36:59

If you read any of the threads on here where a woman is in either an emotionally, financially, physically or sexually abusive relationship you'll see that it's never so easy for them to 'just go'.

Their mindset has been so twisted and changed that they often can't / won't trust their own thoughts, even if it means continuing to put their children at risk.

WhatKindofFool Wed 03-Apr-13 19:23:03

Her relationship with Mick is no excuse. Your children are your prime instinct. They didn't even bother shutting the bedroom doors. If you watch the Panorama programme it shows Maraid as being very cold, uncaring and a liar.

donnie Thu 04-Apr-13 08:40:33

The sentences are due today; with all the information which has emerged about Mick Philpott's violent history, I really hope the Judge gives him a life sentence which can be passed in manslaughter cases. I expect Mairead Philpott will get a shorter sentence.
It might sound awful but really I do believe people like this deserve to be forcibly sterilised sad

Philpott's got 15 years.

ChazDingle Thu 04-Apr-13 11:07:24

am following the court proceedings on thisisderbyshire.co.uk they keep updating every few minutes, sounds like the judge is building up to give Mick Phillpott the longer sentance saying it is clear he was the ringleader etc

janey68 Thu 04-Apr-13 11:08:06

He's got life. Minimum 15 years

Shit, Mairaid's got longer ! 17 years. Why? shock

Mosley also got 17 years.

I get that neither of them have life sentences and the judge has said that "Whether you are ever released is a matter for the parole board" to Philpott but he could potentially be out, albeit on licence, before his wife.

Remotecontrolduck Thu 04-Apr-13 11:14:10

Mairead will only serve about half of her sentence, so about 8 years. Mick will serve 15 years minimum, he got life. It is a bit confusing though, they should just give them the time they will actually serve!!

Its unlikey either Mairead or Mosley will serve the whole 17 years whereas Philpott can't even be considered for parole for 15 years.

janey68 Thu 04-Apr-13 11:15:33

The wife and other guy haven't got longer. They have 17 years, philpott has life. The sentencing system is complex, but the minimum tariff does not mean he'll get out before them. They won't actually serve 17 years I doubt, and I imagine philpott will serve more than 15. So let's not get hung up thinking wrongly that they've been given a harsher sentence.
Frankly I wish none of them would get out, ever, after their despicable crime

Mandy2003 Thu 04-Apr-13 11:15:43

To recap: Mick has been given LIFE and both Mairead and Mosley have both been handed 17 year jail sentences. They will serve half that.

From Daily Mirror Live

janey68 Thu 04-Apr-13 11:16:14

X posts there chaz

MinesaBottle Thu 04-Apr-13 11:17:13

I highly doubt Philpott will be out in 15 years. He'll be a target for every other prisoner and will have a hard time keeping his nose clean.

The other guy Paul Mosley - what a callous sod. I can't fathom how none of them seemed to be able to feel or show deep emotion about what they did and what happened.

www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Child-killer-Paul-Mosley-came-Derby-Telegraph/story-18606352-detail/story.html#axzz2PT9f3QFl

Minsa
I was thinking the same. I would imagine MP is not going to be a model prisioner with his history of violence. I would assume he is going to be in quite a few fights / incidents in prison.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now