Phillpots trial is anybody following it?

(174 Posts)
Minimammoth Thu 14-Mar-13 18:51:30

I am shock.

Minimammoth Mon 25-Mar-13 17:11:56

I've not seen any updates recently in the national news. Do they report judges summing ups.

georgedawes Mon 25-Mar-13 18:12:04
hackmum Mon 25-Mar-13 18:23:52

From that report: "Mr Nolan [Paul Moseley's barrister] said his client's "peculiar personality would not make him a good witness".

georgedawes Mon 25-Mar-13 18:25:28

Looks like the jury will go out on Wed. I wonder if there will be a verdict before Easter? Probably not.

Nancy66 Mon 25-Mar-13 18:57:00

...i would expect a quick verdict on this.

hackmum Mon 25-Mar-13 19:32:56

Yes, I think it will be a quick verdict too. Is it possible to say that without being prejudicial?

If they go out Wednesday morning, I bet they`ll be back in by afternoon tea.

georgedawes Mon 25-Mar-13 19:48:49

Really? I thought it might be longer as they've got to consider the three verdicts.

alcibiades Mon 25-Mar-13 20:31:07

I don't know very much about what a judge can say to a jury in his/her summing up, but can the judge indicate to the jury that a quick verdict wouldn't be a good idea, even if the jury could reach unanimous decisions within a short amount of time? I'm thinking of the adage that justice should not only done but be seen to be done.

georgedawes Tue 26-Mar-13 08:13:08

No the judge can't say that, I'm sure they'll stress that they need to consider all the evidence and be sure beyond all reasonable doubt of their verdict.

Does anyone know if the judge has summed up yet?, I cant find any news on it today.

hackmum Tue 26-Mar-13 17:12:30

The judge has begun summing up, but hasn't finished. The national press hasn't been that good at reporting, but there's a fairly full account in This is Derbyshire:

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Philpott-deaths-Live-updates-day-30-trial/story-18521454-detail/story.html#axzz2OfOBmp3z

georgedawes Wed 27-Mar-13 14:23:43

Jury has retired to consider its verdict.

moonabove Wed 27-Mar-13 14:51:07

I get the impression the national press are being careful about waiting for the verdict before going to town on the story. I agree the jury will probably not be out very long.

Minimammoth Wed 27-Mar-13 15:00:21

I think you are right moonabove.

My feeling is that Maireads verdict might hold them up a little as there seems to be factors that could make hers a little difficult to decide outright, does that make any sense to anyone? (probably only my muddled mind)

WhatKindofFool Wed 27-Mar-13 15:43:52

Seems from what I have read that there is not that much evidence against any of them.

georgedawes Wed 27-Mar-13 16:10:16

The evidence is certainly circumstantial, it's up to the jury really to decide if it's enough to convict. I agree with dreams though, I think that they will take a while to decide because there are 3 defendants and they will need to be sure of a verdict on each of them.

georgedawes Wed 27-Mar-13 16:30:30
TomDudgeon Wed 27-Mar-13 16:31:36

I suspect its evidence and beyond all reasonable doubt that'll make it take a while.
Forensics on the petrol is amazing isn't it

Domjolly Wed 27-Mar-13 18:00:44

The thing that did it for me is i would not expect anyone to be having a threesome the night there six children die

I could imagain lots of men who might get very drunk and have a one night stand in these circumstances a few days later ect but i could not imagine any mother being able to lift here head from her pillow let alone have sex and threesome at that

georgedawes Wed 27-Mar-13 18:16:40

I think it was before the fire they did that dom (and in the days afterwards).

Not defending them btw!

DolomitesDonkey Wed 27-Mar-13 19:21:57

No george. It was the night - before the fire - and in the hotel afterwards when suffering grief.

georgedawes Wed 27-Mar-13 19:59:23

Yes sorry we're saying the same thing I think. I just meant it wasn't the following night after the fire I don't think (still fucking unbelievable tho).

edam Wed 27-Mar-13 23:20:40

Dom, I think perhaps a woman might be, for instance, in the habit of being controlled by her partner and going along with his wishes. Not necessarily the case here, clearly we need to wait for the verdict. But as a for instance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now