Gwyneth Paltrow and avoiding carbs for kids - what do you think?

(536 Posts)
JaneGMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 13-Mar-13 13:49:10

Hi,

You may have read news stories today about Gwynneth Paltrow avoiding carbs for the whole family, including her children aged eight and six:

"Sometimes when my family is not eating pasta, bread or processed grains like white rice, we're left with that specific hunger that comes with avoiding carbs."

We'd be interested to hear what you think about this story.

Does your own diet influence the way you feed your children?

Thanks,

MNHQ

expatinscotland Wed 13-Mar-13 16:48:15

BunnyLebowski summed it up.

znaika Wed 13-Mar-13 16:48:36

It;s not the food itself though is it? - it's the neurosis. She reminsd me of the Friends episode of Monica recording a phone message saying "I'm breezy", when that's the last thing she is. Eat good wellmade food at home by all means, many people (esp us non westerners) do anyway, but quit with the fetishing and banning and stressing.

duchesse - a raw vegan diet??

I would, quite frankly, rather be dead.

kerala Wed 13-Mar-13 16:53:09

I used to live in Gwynnie's neighbourhood and often saw her kids and nanny out and about (funnily enough never saw her). Once my friend and I saw the kids at soft play AND THE NANNY GAVE THEM CRISPS WHICH THEY GOBBLED UP. I will say no more....don't believe what you read in the paper wink

expatinscotland Wed 13-Mar-13 16:55:17

'Her kids are going to rebel and only eat junk food from about 14 onwards. We'll see how smug she is then.'

Probably more likely to be hoovering up hard drugs having to live with her whackoness.

kerala Wed 13-Mar-13 16:57:13

I used to babysit for an uber health conscious very middle class hippyish family - no wheat or sugar allowed. The kids were pale and always ill and went into melt down in shops at the sight of sweets (which was fun for a teenage sitter there were 3 of them). The eldest is now a drug dealer.

DewDr0p Wed 13-Mar-13 16:57:18

Lol Kerala. I think she has a bizarre relationship with food and is at risk of screwing up her kids' view of it too.

EwanHoozami Wed 13-Mar-13 16:57:58

Ha - I just came on to say wot BIWI said grin

I'm a long-term low-carb (not no-carb) eater. I have a 3yo so this is something I've thought about quite carefully. I've come to the conclusion that I don't want to exclude anything from his diet and feed him really good, fresh non-processed grub across the spectrum. He probably does get less pasta / bread / biscuits than his peers because I don't have much in the house but I'm not going to sweat it if he comes back from a birthday party full of wotsits and jaffa cakes. That's all part of being a kid and I don't want to get all Gwynneth about it.

And "specific hunger" just sounds really fucking pretentious.

HorribleMother Wed 13-Mar-13 16:58:25

What I think about this story is...

I barely understand who Gwynth Paltrow is and I don't give a toss how she feeds her kids.

Of course how I eat influences what I feed the DC, keep it simple.

EwanHoozami Wed 13-Mar-13 16:59:34

PS last time I saw GP she was drinking a Budweiser

WowOoo Wed 13-Mar-13 17:03:44

She can afford to eat supremely healthily.

I'd love to have my own personal chef and food advisor--and her figure, wardrobe and bank balance--.

I like her. Just ignore her if you don't.

WowOoo Wed 13-Mar-13 17:04:18

Strikethrough didn't work, damn it. blush

BeCool Wed 13-Mar-13 17:21:49

I was really horrified to read that she is imposing her own dietary restrictions on her young DC.

GP's diet needs will be largely motivated from needing to stay extra thin and trim, being a Hollywood actress.

However she says "Sometimes when my family is not eating pasta, bread or processed grains like white rice, we're left with that specific hunger that comes with avoiding carbs."

It's really hard to know what this means - are the DC avoiding carbs completely (madness)? or are they having brown rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes etc (quite healthy really)?

On the one hand she says they are gluten intolerant - well that doesn't mean avoiding carbs completely, just those with gluten. Then she talks about the hunger from not eating carbs which leads me to think it's not about gluten avoidance, but about carb avoidance - which is madness for young children.

I think from what I've read it's impossible to tell - perhaps it's just a poorly edited article?

Mellywardy Wed 13-Mar-13 17:23:09

The kids may be wheat intolerant....But how does she fill them up if not feeding them carbs, my son would never survive, he eats as much as me!

Bunfags Wed 13-Mar-13 17:35:25

Processed foods of any kind are unhealthy, especially refined carbs, your body treats them the same as sugar. So, I can understand wanting to limit your DC's consumption of white bread, white pasta, potatoes and white rice - but cutting them out completely? I'd lose the will to live.

However, Gwyneth looks as though she lives off beansprouts or similar. That quote brings to mind an image of a miserable family, huddled round a bottle of wheat grass juice. I can only imagine that meals at Chez Paltrow are a joyless affair without some spuds, bread or cake.

motherinferior Wed 13-Mar-13 17:38:06

Has she actually had her kids tested? It's complete idiocy to say 'all nutritionists' think wheat is the devil's food - plenty of proper dieticians (you know, the ones who are properly trained, don't just decide one day that they are nutritionists) are totally fine with it. Lots of cultures survive on bloody wheat.

It seems to me that giving kids lots of carbs makes them get used to eating lots of carbs, i.e. it will shape their way of eating as adults. Since getting to know a very little bit about low carbing this seems wrong.

On the other hand surely active children need more carbs than sitting on their bum all day sedentary adults.

happybubblebrain Wed 13-Mar-13 17:44:01

Anyone else just a teensy bit bored of what the celebs are eating this week?

StoicButStressed Wed 13-Mar-13 17:55:21

Bit confused by lots upthread referencing GP/other pastas & other 'carbs' her DC's must be havinghmm... Agree pretty reasonable assumption that l'il Apple & Moses must (MUST!) get a LOT of fruit & veg, but the quote seems kinda specific & precise vis pasta/carbs per se?

'Sometimes when my family is not eating pasta, bread or processed grains like white rice, we're left with that specific hunger that comes with avoiding carbs.'

Quote rules out pasta full stop; so presumably both wholegrain & gluten free corn pasta etc ARE included within that exclusion?

Notion of her DC's (or anyone's TBH) being left with a 'specific hunger' (i.e. not 'craving' or 'longing for' - which would sort of understand - but 'specific hunger' ) leaves me a bit speechless TBH.

The 'that comes with avoiding carbs' DOES clearly sort of state she IS referencing 'avoiding carbs' (at risk of stating obvious given it IS what she apparently said?) - IE the whole food group.

Just leaves me thinking those basics of tad concerned re food issues when older, and that DCs need ALL food groups? Anyway, hope she's braced for the kick-back risk when they're older - "Hey Mommy, I had a GREAT Big Mac today" grin

Xenia Wed 13-Mar-13 18:06:35

Let us not forget that most English children eat a dreadful diet of soft drinks, crisps and junk. It is perfectly possible to be very healthy indeed on a diet without refined carbs and white bread.

What is a shame is when a traditional English diet and indeed diet of mankind for 2 million years which is the opposite of fussy and is what we were made to eat is regarded by obese ill badly fed British mothers as deranged because it is a diet of foods which are good for children. That is the position we are in.

Day after day parents and schools peddle sugar at their children at every turn, at parties, as treats at school, at stations, in machines at school on and on and on until it has become almost normal in effect to poison children who are now going to be the fattest in history and die young and yet we turn on a mother who is feeding by contrast her children rather well.

StoicButStressed Wed 13-Mar-13 18:10:37

Kerala & WowOoo both hit (diff!) nails on head but identical theme... ze STAFFgrin:

1 - About 8 million yrs ago I was a Nanny (in that kind of neighbourhood IYKWIM) whilst studying. Was astounding how many of the Mothers who frequently had Jack to do with their DC's, ESP the ones who WEREN'T working Mums would impose own - UBER tight as they wanted to be thin...sad - diets on DCs. Without fail, all of the nannies would let l'il Johnnie or Phoebe have an odd hot chocolate or something as felt so bloody sorry for them...

2 - GP is at most a size 6-8 and a BMI that is obv lower than recommended for her, ahem, age. She puts in hours (plural) at Madge's gym with her Personal Trainer (more staff!!!) and then yep, CAN come home to a pretty gorgeous quinoa and beetroot salad etc as has SOMEONE ELSE to make it for her!

And whilst she has at least been honest enough to fess up to fact she is ALREADY at risk of Osteoporosis; to then follow that up with that diet imposed on DC's really alarms me/make me think she may have screw loose? seems a tad nuts?

nuttymummyof2 Wed 13-Mar-13 18:21:33

You shouldn't ever put children on a no carbs diet, unless they have a specific dietary requirement under exceptionally rare circumstances and several dieticians have considered this beneficial and these children are very closely monitered by them.
However I felt gwenyth was refering too the processed white carbohydrates, and not all starchy carbs. Most older children and adults would certainly benefit from this.
No carbohydrate diets have not been proved safe and you should certainly not inflict faddy diets on children, rant over

But what are her nutritional qualifications?? Why is she given freedom to spout her idiocy and why do we permit her to get airtime?

She is about as qualified as Gillian McKeith - and we all know how that ended

StoicButStressed Wed 13-Mar-13 18:38:01

In a pile of shit?;)

vegetables are carbs. if you means she is keeping her kids off processed pasta and bread you can't blame her for feeding her kids well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now