Pryce/Hume get 8 months

(7 Posts)
CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 16-Mar-13 08:06:03

The question is really is less about proportionality and more about whether the sentencing guidelines were followed appropriately in both cases. Driving offences certainly used to attract very low sentences and Ahmed's case was tried before the 2008 change to the guidelines.

muminlondon Fri 15-Mar-13 23:35:02

Apologies for not reading the other thread but I've just been reading about Lord Ahmed getting a 12-week sentence for dangerous driving (texting, then killing someone) and serving just 16 days. Then blaming a Jewish conspiracy for convicting him. Do you think in comparison Chris Huhne and Vicky Pryce got proportionate treatment?

niceguy2 Tue 12-Mar-13 11:40:57

Personally I think they both should have gotten longer. 8 months is the sentence but they will be out much earlier.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 12-Mar-13 11:27:37

When it comes to punishments, crimes against the justice system are dealt with really harshly. Perjury, perverting the course of justice, contempt etc. It may have just been point-switching on her part but the principle of deceiving the courts and then lying to cover up the deception means community service was never on the cards. Suit-wearing has no bearing. However, a more 'street-wise' couple would have known to keep quiet.

2rebecca Mon 11-Mar-13 17:46:21

He should have got longer than her, he was the one speeding and the one who gained by the point switching. She should have been found guilty but have got community service. At least imprisoning her will mean it's clear in future that if you lie on a legal document to protect your spouse you don't blab to the papers when you get divorced. A huge amount of public money has been wasted on this pair. neither of them seemed particularly likeable. poor kids.

ubik Mon 11-Mar-13 17:22:24

link

Many people seem to think that if you wear a suit you shouldn't have to go to prison -but many ordinary people go to prison for less

ubik Mon 11-Mar-13 17:16:42

Well that's a long time to think about things...I think te judge was right.

This is a very serious crime...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now