Since when is donating blood a 'right'?

(25 Posts)
AThingInYourLife Wed 20-Mar-13 00:27:44

None of those uses of the word applies to giving blood.

It's just sloppy writing.

ttosca Wed 20-Mar-13 00:21:16

OK, without actually going in to the politics of this, or the BBC, it might be helpful to look at the phrase purely semantically:

How is: "Denied the right..." used?

a) Denied the right to attorney = denied a current legal right

b) Women were denied the right to vote = denied a demanded right

c) Denied the right to die = denied a demanded right

d) Children 'denied the right to play' = denied an assumed, 'natural' right (not legally demanded)

allafrica.com/stories/201302121266.html

--

So perhaps, and I'm not say it's the case either way, but maybe the BBC used 'Denied the right to donate' in one of the other senses other than a).

AThingInYourLife Wed 20-Mar-13 00:01:01

Great.

I don't really give a shit about who or what is considered high risk.

I just want the decisions to be made on a sound basis.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Tue 19-Mar-13 23:53:36

This story has got nothing to do with homosexuality.

Having looked at the link, I too am amazed he's lived in the UK for 8 years without learning English. I applaud his desire to help people.

Trekkie Tue 19-Mar-13 23:45:07

There is no reason that the risk assessment in the NHS and the risk assessment of insurance companies should be the same though. What stands to be lost is different, the purposes the organisations are different etc.

Trekkie Tue 19-Mar-13 23:42:49
Trekkie Tue 19-Mar-13 23:42:12
Trekkie Tue 19-Mar-13 23:39:06

AThing making assumptions about insurance risk based on a person's sexual orientation (or assumed sexual orientation) is no longer practised within the insurance industry in the UK, for reasons of discrimination and not being great practise anyway.

These days insurance applications are designed to find out about specific behaviours that are higher risk and underwriting decisions are made on that basis.

The insurance industry in the UK has not assumed that gay men = high risk simply because of their sexuality for a number of years.

AThingInYourLife Tue 19-Mar-13 10:52:01

" But why should it be deemed that a healthy monogamous gay couple are high risk but a straight person can go out every night they like, and engage in however much bum fun or whatever else with any number of anonymous strangers if they so wish, and still not be classed as high risk."

I don't know.

Ask an actuary.

They don't just pull the numbers out of their arses.

They get paid the big bucks for calculating risk at a more sophisticated level than "everyone who has sex is at risk".

I agree make thought the ignorance of it being a gay disease was well over. Everyone who doesn't practice safe sex is at risk!!!

Yes I totally agree that its up to the blood service to make the rules to ensure blood safety. But why should it be deemed that a healthy monogamous gay couple are high risk but a straight person can go out every night they like, and engage in however much bum fun or whatever else with any number of anonymous strangers if they so wish, and still not be classed as high risk. It just doesn't make sense to run it this way.

AThingInYourLife Tue 19-Mar-13 09:15:41

Nobody describes gay men as "diseased" in this context.

Whether or not higher risk groups should be allowed to donate should be left to actuaries and not decided by the offended and their mates.

MrsHoarder Tue 19-Mar-13 07:56:28

The forms aren't supposed to be linked to your nhs records because you are asked to be honest about illegal activities.

And I can see the point gay men have (would you like to be described as diseased because you sleep with the healthyperson you love?) but not the language thing. There are 3 nurses in the truck when I go, its a bit much to demand a translator.

AThingInYourLife Tue 19-Mar-13 07:53:15

linics, the OP is correct that giving blood is not a "right".

Sloppy journalism from the BBC (again).

AThingInYourLife Tue 19-Mar-13 07:52:10

Whether or not it makes sense to provide interpreters at mobile blood donation cl

So is it just for donations that these translators aren't available? Surely if ever someone needed treatment they would find someone who could talk to them to get consent and explain procedures?

Information gained through the blood donations forms could be kept on record so that in the unfortunate event of an illness or accident the form could be used at very least for contact numbers and Pre existing conditions.

The majority of blood isn't donated in hospitals though but at mobile donation sites and even if there was a form written in polish for them to use the blood donation team still need to be able to communicate at the time as much of the donation process is verbally communicated to ensure the person donating understands the important bits.

Surely there's at be a worker in the hospital who speaks polish. ??!!! We are a multicultural society I find it hard to believe that in these large hospitals there is not any members of staff that can be trusted to translate. It's ridiculous to turn away people who could be valuable sources of rare blood types , he clearly wants to help, let him.

Tau Tue 19-Mar-13 07:16:31

Since more blood is always needed, I think it would be easy enough to offer a Polish translation of the questionnaire. The fact that this man hasn't managed to learn English in the years that he's been living here doesn't mean his blood couldn't save someone's life!

cumfy Fri 08-Mar-13 19:11:21

I assume it's to do with discrimination.

Bue Thu 07-Mar-13 22:27:03

I have never understood the concept of blood donation as a right. So many people - including people from high risk groups - seem to think it is, though!

Waferthinmint Thu 07-Mar-13 21:13:15
Waferthinmint Thu 07-Mar-13 21:07:16

No sorry it was on BBC 6 o clock news. Will hunt for a link

HillBilly76 Thu 07-Mar-13 19:12:25

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Waferthinmint Thu 07-Mar-13 18:43:22

Bloody BBC, I hate their language sometimes. A man has been 'denied the right' to give blood because he can't read the forms. He is angry. He has been living here for 8 years and can't speak English!

It isn't his right, it is my right to know that the person donating blood has understood the medical and health questions being asked.

Bloody BBC and "rights"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now