I won't let my children play with friends I deem beneath them

(130 Posts)
Millais Thu 21-Feb-13 00:20:36

I know it is in the DM - can't go to bed yet and needing to stay awake.
www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2281959/I-wont-let-children-play-friends-I-deem-beneath--thats-caring-mothers-Apprentice-star-admits-targets-playmates-good-influence.html

Surely this must be a joke- how can she or her children face their classmates on Monday?

NigellasGuest Fri 22-Feb-13 20:48:13

have I missed something?
WHY does she not send her kids to private school?

VincenzaOfSaragossa Fri 22-Feb-13 21:50:06

Because she's not classy enough. We wouldn't have her in our playground. grin

kimorama Sat 02-Mar-13 11:35:18

In truth CLASSES in broad terms do not intermingle. Social climbing is getting on in a country like ours. Mine is a large family 2 went posh, and it did change peoples attitude to them

dashoflime Sat 02-Mar-13 12:21:47

Oh dear God, where to start....

How about here:

First off we have a really snotty catalogue of little Charmaine's working class signifiers followed by: "a study confirms exactly what I have always believed. Academic success is infectious. Pupils 'catch' cleverness from their friends."

Unless that study covered the influence of pink leggings, electronic toys, pierced ears and soft play on intellectual development- then the study does not "confirm" her stupid prejudices.

Cleverness is not an exclusive middle class trait- IQ varies among individuals of all classes. Class privilege can effect attainment and life outcomes however, which is why I would assume that a study looking at the effect of friendships on achievement would control for class.

This alone should put Katie on guard against applying the findings rigidly to her own children's lives: as they very much do benefit form class privilege. This is a very important factor in predicting their course in life. Much more so than any effect of their choice of friendships I would expect.

She makes a couple of references to children's attainment coming from the attitudes and commitment of the parents, which is closer to the mark (and contradicts her own argument!). She wants to be cautious about assuming her own home is some kind of intellectual hothouse however, when its clear from her own writing that she is unable to formulate a logically consistent argument.

I have to agree with the person up thread who predicted lifelong problems forming friendships for her children.

lrichmondgabber Fri 08-Mar-13 11:41:21

well, classes are bout people mixing with others in similar circumstances. And we have a rabid class system So why the suprise at the op

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now