Gay parents the new norm?

(190 Posts)
yummymummy345 Tue 19-Feb-13 21:04:52

Is it just me? but I do not entirely relish the idea of same sex couples being parents and thus becoming the norm. Watching Channel 4 news, they are highlighting books aimed at children with same sex couples instead of the traditional man/woman combo. I'm really not trying to offend anyone but I think men and women are generally different and so offer different things to a child, can 2 women or 2 men offer the same? I know 2 women/men would love that child just as much but is it all about love and security and thats it?

Gay marriage in the news also is looking to change our culture to make it the norm although I dont understand why civl partnership which affords the same rights? is not enough? A church marriage is for 2 people to procreate (if possible) so why does this all need to be changed?

I am interested on peoples opinions these are obviously just mine but would like to add I am not religious or homophobic .

anonacfr Wed 06-Mar-13 19:05:07
castellburt Wed 06-Mar-13 01:55:19

But you are being homophobic! The civil partnership is not equality with marriage - property inheritance is not covered for a start. When people say or write that they are afraid of gay marriages becoming the norm, it seems to show that heterosexual marriages are so insecure they are threatened by gay marriages! I think there will be much more security in the world when people who are different are allows to live their lives peacefully, contributing their special gifts to society.

Smudging Tue 26-Feb-13 20:06:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Writehand Tue 26-Feb-13 19:47:49

Yep. Here's yet another post saying you're not a yummy mummy. You're a bigot. And "Are gay parents the new norm?" Well not while we heteros make up most of the population you moron silly woman.

As many have pointed out, gay adopters, like all adopters, are more likely to be loving and committed parents than so many loosely attached couples whose babies come from a drunken shag.

American research shows that the kids of lesbian parents do best in terms of well being and achievement. Of course, they're not intrinsically better because they're lesbian -- it's because they've usually had to put no little work and effort into becoming parents, so (on average) they take more care of the kids they have and have planned their family life in a way some heteros would do well to copy.

FellatioNels0n Sun 24-Feb-13 15:53:53

I don't think they are likely to become 'the norm' exactly, do you?

Although there are plenty of supposedly 'normal' male/female parent combos I'd frankly quite like to see exterminated and replaced with decent, functional, non-abusive, loving gay couples.

I wear comfortable shoes and elasticated pants. I thought it was only sensible and being middle-aged. Now I find I must be gay. Poor DH, he'll be very disappointed when I tell him we must get divorced immediately. sad

yummymummy345 Sat 23-Feb-13 19:27:10

probably makes you old? ooops perhaps I am now ageist too... OOh what else can I say that you will assume my thoughts from.....

You have forgotten glasses surely - dead giveaway.

I'm off to tell DH that I wear comfortable shoes. He wears comfortable shoes too. I think that might mean we are in a lesbian relationship. Do I need to have my hair cut short to match my comfortable shoes?

tribpot Sat 23-Feb-13 18:15:25

I think this probably makes you responsible for the bisexuals, motherinferior.

BIWI Sat 23-Feb-13 18:15:21

You are uber gay, motherinferior!

motherinferior Sat 23-Feb-13 18:13:13

I wear comfortable shoes AND comfortable pants.

tribpot Sat 23-Feb-13 18:07:30

Yes - if we all wore uncomfortable shoes it is a scientific fact there would be no gay people requiring their human rights to be respected.

Amphitrite Sat 23-Feb-13 17:21:54

I always wear comfortable shoes. Is that how DD caught the gay? If only I had worn stillettos in her formative years she might have ended up 'normal' like the OP.

BIWI Sat 23-Feb-13 16:52:58

I always wear comfortable shoes. grin

tribpot Sat 23-Feb-13 15:14:10

You mean this whole thing about 'women in comfortable shoes' isn't true either?! shock

(I am a woman in comfortable shoes - out and proud).

In fact, it's homophobic to make any assumptions about gay people at all apart from that they prefer to have sexual relations with people of the same gender.

SmileAndPeopleSmileWithYou Sat 23-Feb-13 11:38:40

Gay marriage in the news also is looking to change our culture to make it the norm although I dont understand why civl partnership which affords the same rights? is not enough?

erm...if that is your argument, why is civil partnership not enough for everyone? Why not get rid of religious ceremonies all together?
BECAUSE RELIGIOUS PEOPLE MIGHT WANT TO GET MARRIED IN A CHURCH!?

Why does it matter if those religious people are gay/straight?? I genuinely don't understand!

The priest told us that the marriage wouldn't be legal until consummated.
I'm pretty sure gay people have sex... whats the issue?

Lastofthepodpeople Sat 23-Feb-13 11:35:14

I really couldn't care if a child's parents are gay or straight. Homophobic parents on the other hand can do a lot of damage...

What is the opposite of acceptance? I can't think of any positive alternatives.

ubik Sat 23-Feb-13 11:21:29

Indeed - homosexuality is normal. To think anything else is homophobic.

"accepted part of our culture as much as a hetrosexual couple."

And this would be bad because.......?

You do realise, when you say that having two gay parents may not be best for the child, that plenty of "normal" heterosexual couples are absolutely crappy parents, yes? The ability to be a good parent is not in any way connected to a person's sexuality.

And BTW, you are homophobic if you think that anything involving homosexual people is wrong or bad.

Amphitrite Sat 23-Feb-13 11:11:49

OP, I have three teenage daughters. One of them is really good with children, she is gentle and kind, the sort of person that toddlers always gravitate to at parties and who is really sweet with them, spends hours playing with them and reading them stories. The other two have no interest in small children whatsoever.
Guess which one is gay? Should she be denied the chance to marry the partner of her choice and have a family to appease your blind and random prejudice?

cory Sat 23-Feb-13 11:04:01

WishIdbeenatigermum Fri 22-Feb-13 20:59:06
"A church marriage is for 2 people to procreate
That bit is true. As many shocked relatives and friends of DH and mine can testify. The priest told us that the marriage wouldn't be legal until consummated."

Only if you're a Catholic.

BertieBotts Sat 23-Feb-13 00:01:23

Lol tribpot. Exactly. Single gender role model in the case of a single parent = fine. Single-gender role models in the form of a gay couple as parents = not fine apparently.

I mean, surely even if you do subscribe to this horseshit theory that men and women are programmed to be totally different, if single parents can get around the problem of having a single-gender role model surely gay parents can?

tribpot Fri 22-Feb-13 23:02:37

So your argument is that there are fundamental differences between men and women - and that successful childrearing requires both. Except in the case of single parents, where it doesn't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now