Gay parents the new norm?

(190 Posts)
yummymummy345 Tue 19-Feb-13 21:04:52

Is it just me? but I do not entirely relish the idea of same sex couples being parents and thus becoming the norm. Watching Channel 4 news, they are highlighting books aimed at children with same sex couples instead of the traditional man/woman combo. I'm really not trying to offend anyone but I think men and women are generally different and so offer different things to a child, can 2 women or 2 men offer the same? I know 2 women/men would love that child just as much but is it all about love and security and thats it?

Gay marriage in the news also is looking to change our culture to make it the norm although I dont understand why civl partnership which affords the same rights? is not enough? A church marriage is for 2 people to procreate (if possible) so why does this all need to be changed?

I am interested on peoples opinions these are obviously just mine but would like to add I am not religious or homophobic .

chickensarmpit Tue 19-Feb-13 21:36:34

Am I the only person to think children are not a right? They aren't fucking handbags and I'm finding a lot of people using them like some sort of fashion accessory.

BIWI Tue 19-Feb-13 21:36:57

YummyMummy345

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt.

I'm also going to assume that you have young children (you don't have a profile, so I have no reason to assume otherwise).

Just imagine that your lovely son, or your lovely daughter tells you, age 17, that they are gay and that they have a boyfriend/girlfriend.

Fastforward a few years. They have their degree, and they are settled in a good job. (They have achieved what you always wanted for them, in other words.)

They come home one day, with their partner, and tell you that they are getting married.

Surely you would rejoice? (I'm assuming, for the sake of the story here, that you like them, by the way!)

Why, then, would they not be allowed to marry in the same way that a heterosexual couple wouldn't marry?

There are various different ways in which they can produce their own children.

Skullnbones Tue 19-Feb-13 21:39:40

You are homophobic, I suggest you find a rock and crawl under it, you may find similar folk there who share your views!

hermioneweasley Tue 19-Feb-13 21:41:42

Chickensarmpit - can you clarify your post. Who are you suggesting are having kids as accessories?

HotheadPaisan Tue 19-Feb-13 21:43:02

We're all the rage. Not keen on handbags though so I had kids instead.

I do not entirely relish a parenting forum where parents from a minority group are made to feel lesser and that they shouldn't have kids.

MajaBiene Tue 19-Feb-13 21:43:11

Bollocks. No one has children as an accessory - it's a basic biological drive to want to have kids, many/most people do, and no-one does it for purely selfless reasons.

LizzieVereker Tue 19-Feb-13 21:43:21

Read this. It might help you allay your fears about "the gays".

Because the majority of children brought up by same sex parents are successful and well adjusted, perhaps because they are resilient, having had to deal with the prejudices of people who may or may not realise they are homophobic. hmm

yummymummy345 Tue 19-Feb-13 21:44:18

OK for the record I dont think any less of Gay people/couples. Is it a right to have a child (thats a whole different topic) Just thinking from the childs perspective are they getting an all round upbringing.

So you all agree that they do, Im not sure I entirey agree -apologies about that,- each to their own.

I didnt mean that soon everyone will be in gay couples raising children I meant the norm as in accepted part of our culture as much as a hetrosexual couple.

chickensarmpit Tue 19-Feb-13 21:45:13

Lots of people. Straight, gay etc.. I don't like the idea that having children is some sort of right.

MajaBiene Tue 19-Feb-13 21:45:30

Do children of single parents get an all round upbringing?

Chubfuddler Tue 19-Feb-13 21:46:26

It's not a right, but it's certainly not something you should be prevented from doing due to your sexual orientation, or compelled to deny your true sexual orientation to achieve.

BIWI Tue 19-Feb-13 21:47:17

WTF is an 'all round upbringing'?

You really need to engage brain, OP, and explain a little bit more about what your problem is/issues are.

BIWI, you are so reasonable. This post is just about the last straw in a month of shitty homophobic incidents, and I'm almost in tears of rage and frustration. Thank you for your eloquence.

Chubfuddler Tue 19-Feb-13 21:48:04

If you don't think any less of gay couples why you see normalisation of gay couples and parents as a bad thing? Have you actually challenged yourself on this issue?

sittinginthesun Tue 19-Feb-13 21:48:07

Not a right, but a basic human urge, surely? That applies whether you are straight, gay, whatever.

OP, do you know any gay couple, with or without children? What are you so scared of?

hermioneweasley Tue 19-Feb-13 21:48:49

Yummy, you are contradicting yourself. You say you don't think any less of gay couples, but it worries you that it will one day be acceptable to be gay parents. It logically follows the you believe gay parents are deficient and therefore you are not ok with it.

You have decided in your little homophobic head that it must be damaging for kids when all the evidence is quite the contrary. The evidence is compelling or reproductive medicine clinics wouldn't treat gay couples as they have an ethical and moral obligation to the potential children.

yummymummy345 Tue 19-Feb-13 21:49:49

What do you think MajaBeine? Why bring single parents into this? That is generally not a choice i.e having children and rasing them alone.

Chubfuddler Tue 19-Feb-13 21:51:05

Actually lots of people choose to be single parents. Some of them are even gay single parents.

tribpot Tue 19-Feb-13 21:51:57

Ahhhh, so if only these pesky gays would choose to be straight? confused Seriously ?

BIWI Tue 19-Feb-13 21:52:38

Agent - only reasonable on the outside wink

Can I just clarify that my "hide the hand bags " comment ( it was a jome) was aimed a response about all the gay babies to follow. It by no means was any reference to children being accessories!!

Jome)? Joke [auto correct fail ]

HotheadPaisan Tue 19-Feb-13 21:54:22

I don't understand this desire to sit around pontificating about my life and kids as some sort of intellectual exercise. I use that term loosely obv. What right do you have to do that?

ImNotDrunkIJustCantType Tue 19-Feb-13 21:54:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MajaBiene Tue 19-Feb-13 21:54:38

Because yummymummy you said children need a male and a female parent to have a rounded upbringing, and single parents are generally only of one gender.

So single parents by choice are also a problem for you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now