Gay parents the new norm?

(190 Posts)
yummymummy345 Tue 19-Feb-13 21:04:52

Is it just me? but I do not entirely relish the idea of same sex couples being parents and thus becoming the norm. Watching Channel 4 news, they are highlighting books aimed at children with same sex couples instead of the traditional man/woman combo. I'm really not trying to offend anyone but I think men and women are generally different and so offer different things to a child, can 2 women or 2 men offer the same? I know 2 women/men would love that child just as much but is it all about love and security and thats it?

Gay marriage in the news also is looking to change our culture to make it the norm although I dont understand why civl partnership which affords the same rights? is not enough? A church marriage is for 2 people to procreate (if possible) so why does this all need to be changed?

I am interested on peoples opinions these are obviously just mine but would like to add I am not religious or homophobic .

exexpat Tue 19-Feb-13 21:23:48

You say give it another few years and it will become the norm - are you somehow arguing that allowing gay marriage is going to turn the heterosexual majority gay? Because personally, the fact that I might be allowed to marry another woman hasn't made me start fancying one. Or will it suddenly all change the moment the bill is passed?

why do I bother posting from phone sad. single is what I was saying at the end there if you can figure out the rest

Flossiechops Tue 19-Feb-13 21:23:56

greythorne it's jam first definitely. Op, seriously?? You need to ask this shit? In 2013?

yummymummy345 Tue 19-Feb-13 21:23:57

Ah so just me then!

And what does your comment about yummy mummies mean? Because if were having a pop it's worth noting there are a lot of homophobic idiots out there too

BIWI Tue 19-Feb-13 21:24:23

<chortles>

In my outrage, I hadn't even noticed the stupid use of 'norm'!

hermioneweasley Tue 19-Feb-13 21:24:25

Arf at chubfudder.

motherinferior Tue 19-Feb-13 21:24:28

No, I don't agree that children need a nuclear family of a male and female parent. I don't think that men and women have intrinsic qualities that they need to contribute to raise children effectively.

And if more same sex parents rock up at the school gates, no, I have no fucking problem with that whatsoever.

exexpat Tue 19-Feb-13 21:25:16

Yummymummy - you might find this graph educational.

motherinferior Tue 19-Feb-13 21:25:28

If 'it' becomes 'the norm', by which presumably you mean more people acknowledge and act on same-sex attraction, so bloody what?

Exexpat I was wondering if they'd start doing forced gay marriage, you know, quotas or some such. Nows the time to find a female friend who irritates you least and agree to marry before the government make you.

But...we're not all suddenly going to turn gay. So it will never be the 'norm'. Unless you mean that eventually, same sex couples raising children won't be any big deal. In which case, yes, I certainly hope so.

noisytoys Tue 19-Feb-13 21:25:53

Gay parents aren't a new thing. I am 25. My DM had been in a lesbian relationship with the same woman for 23 years. YABU and very homophobic

hermioneweasley Tue 19-Feb-13 21:26:31

Yummy, don't worry, it's not just you that thinks homosexuality is toxic, wrong, disgusting and lesser - there are plenty of homophobes to keep you company. Just not on this thread apparently.

Chubfuddler Tue 19-Feb-13 21:28:00

LOL exexpat

OpheliasWeepingWillow Tue 19-Feb-13 21:28:10

So you're not homophobic huh?

Massive eyebrow raising here. Well done.

hermioneweasley Tue 19-Feb-13 21:28:39

Exexpat - there is also a graph which shows how many hetero marriages have broken down due to being in the proximity of a stable gay relationship. (clue- it's 0)

exexpat Tue 19-Feb-13 21:30:59

SBP - ah, is that how it's going to work? I have a few female single-parent friends, I'm sure one of them might be willing to enter into a marriage of convenience with me. She might draw the line at putting up with my secret heterosexual obsessing over Benedict Cumberbatch, though.

I just can't believe people still think that gay is all someone is. Who someone goes home too is up to them. Why does it have to be called gay marriage. Surely two people getting married is just marriage? No one says I'm
Going to a straight wedding. Children are screwed up from bad up bringings, parents who didnt care, being abused, starved, unloved abandonned etc none of which is exclusive to gay or straight parents. If a child is loved, cared for fed clothed and supported they will be just fine!!!

MajaBiene Tue 19-Feb-13 21:32:24

Now we have gay marriage, there will be lots of gay babies and they will outbreed us shock

Maryz Tue 19-Feb-13 21:33:17

ODFONTAD.

It isn't the norm. As in the average. But it is perfectly normal. Gay people have always had children.

Just in the bad old days they had to pretend they weren't gay hmm.

flippinada Tue 19-Feb-13 21:34:48

So what if it does become the "norm". Can't bring myself to get worked up about this but then I'm not a mealy mouthed bigot.

What are all these new acronyms people are throwing around?
Oh and BAGSY JENNIFER ANISTON

maja quick hide the hand bags grin

AmandinePoulain Tue 19-Feb-13 21:36:03

What if all these gay parents at the school gates spread the gay around? Will no one think of the children? hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now