Stanbridge Earls School tries to exclude girl after allegations of rape.

(112 Posts)
Narked Mon 21-Jan-13 22:38:31

Here.

It describes itself as 'a small, independent, day and boarding school for girls and boys aged 10 to 19 with Specific Learning Difficulties including Dyslexia, Dyspraxia and Dyscalculia.'

The tribunal said it had cause for "grave concerns" about safeguarding at the school.

The First-tier Tribunal Special Educational Needs and Disability found the school failed to protect a vulnerable disabled pupil who was a victim of grooming and sexual abuse by male pupils at the school.

The tribunal said head teacher Peter Trythall's conduct "borders on contempt for statutory duties".

LesBOFerables Thu 24-Jan-13 10:12:21

Because it is in

LesBOFerables Thu 24-Jan-13 10:13:25

Because it is important to say "I believe you" to victims. And disgusting that some people don't.

One meaning of the word 'tribunal' is a committee which is appointed to adjudicate on a particular matter.

Which is what this tribunal has done.

There findings have to be taken seriously and it's victim blaming to attempt to explain away what has gone on or to minimise the school's actions towards the female pupil.

TrampyPants Thu 24-Jan-13 10:32:56

How the living fuck can anyone make excuses? I'm appalled. That poor girl.

StewieGriffinsMom Thu 24-Jan-13 10:48:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AbigailAdams Thu 24-Jan-13 10:59:52

I believe her. She should not have had to endure that. It was wrong. The school was wrong on so many levels. If the head had been cited as having contempt it wouldn't surprise me if this was systemic. In fact for these boys to get away with it there must be something seriously wrong with the supervision.

And as for the victim-blaming, words fail. True colours shown.

MrsGeologist Thu 24-Jan-13 11:00:01

Repulsive? Really? A girl was abused at school, and the school tries to cover it up, but people rightly condemning that action are the repulsive ones?

MmeLindor Thu 24-Jan-13 11:06:03

Whatever your personal connection to the school, and good memories of the school, surely we can all agree that in this particular instance, the school spectacularly failed to protect a vulnerable child in its care.

For that there can be no excuse and of course it is reasonable to have this discussion in the open so that those responsible can be taken to task, and so that parents can make a decision on whether to leave their child in the school's care.

I also think that we should be aware that anyone can read this thread, even journalists, so if posts have personal information about the school, or mention teachers or staff by name, even obliquely, they should be deleted by MNHQ.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 24-Jan-13 12:48:32

Afternoon.

We have no wish to stop this discussion but we need to let you know that we will delete any potentially libellous posts that are reported to us.

We should also warn you that anything you disclose here is available to public view and could, potentially, be used in ongoing proceedings.

As it our normal policy, we would urge anyone with knowledge of any specific incidents relating to this case or this school to report it, in the first instance, to the police or other relevant authorities.

Narked Thu 24-Jan-13 13:26:49

You don't seem to understand the concept of a tribunal.

It is an independent body that investigates, takes evidence from both sides and attempts to find where the truth lies. The school have had their say. And the tribunal didn't find them very convincing.

Narked Thu 24-Jan-13 13:31:33

Obviously I can't know if this applies to this specific case, but generally, when there has been a situation where this kind of abuse has gone on and where those who owed a duty of care have failed to live up to their responsibilities, even blaming the victim, there will be other people they have let down.

Marlinspike Thu 24-Jan-13 13:34:51

I am very surprised that the school achieved an "outstanding" Ofsted rating for its residential care last year. I have some experience of a similar setting, and my experience is that the ofsted care visit is thorough. The tribunal points to shortcomings in the school's procedures, and especially the lack of joined-up thinking between different staff in the school. That would suggest that the correct procedures aren't in place, or being followed, and I would have thought that Ofsted would have picked up on that.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 24-Jan-13 13:36:29

Narked

You don't seem to understand the concept of a tribunal.

It is an independent body that investigates, takes evidence from both sides and attempts to find where the truth lies. The school have had their say. And the tribunal didn't find them very convincing.

Is this comment directed at us, Narked?

If so, we should probably make it clear that the tribunal was ruling on the girl's expulsion.

It was not a criminal prosecution for rape. Nor was it a civil proceeding against the school.

Either of those two things may well happen. But they haven't yet.

colettemum3 Thu 24-Jan-13 13:47:34

School's know how to work Ofsted, they know how to hide stuff that may show the school in a bad light. My eldest daughter has gone to two school that have been classed as 'outstanding' and the stunts that both school's have pulled on my family is unbelievable. Gotten to the point that going in to a new school or dealing with a new head teacher, i'm now watching my back for knives.

Narked Thu 24-Jan-13 13:58:32

No shock, not at you! At the new poster who is suggesting that the report is somehow one sided and that the school hasn't had a chance to be heard.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 24-Jan-13 14:01:16

Narked

No shock, not at you! At the new poster who is suggesting that the report is somehow one sided and that the school hasn't had a chance to be heard.

Oh right. grin

Apols for misunderstanding.

QuickLookBusy Thu 24-Jan-13 14:02:40

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 24-Jan-13 15:00:03

Just to add: we have changed the thread title to 'Stanbridge Earls School tries to exclude girl after allegations of rape', as it has been drawn to our attention that this is a more (legally) accurate description of events.

Narked Thu 24-Jan-13 15:29:59

Legally that is better for MN.

We believe her.

Badgers5 Thu 24-Jan-13 18:24:26

This is all beyond me. If it was a LA school the Head Teacher and staff concerned would be removed pending the outcome of an investigation.What about the safeguarding of vulnerable children in that school.

ladievix Thu 24-Jan-13 19:13:36

Thank god for Bambisalive. I cannot believe the lynch mob mentality. You are not in possession of all the information. So please wait to hear it all before you judge.

Seabright Thu 24-Jan-13 19:23:56

Ladievix - a tribunal does listen to the both sides, it considers all the information given to it by all parties. Why should we disbelieve an independent tribunal and believe the word of the pro-Stanbridge Earl poster on this thread, all of whom are brand new to Mumsnet?

ladievix Thu 24-Jan-13 20:05:54

Now again you are jumping to conclusions. Think as an individual, not as a mob of beying animals. I am absolutely not pro Stanbridge Earls. I have no feelings for it one way or another. I am pro truth.

Seabright Thu 24-Jan-13 20:34:50

And so is an independent tribunal, the members of whom are known and information about which is in the public domain.

The Stansfield Earl defenders are all brand new to Mumsnet, so nothing about them and their motives is know. Plus you, Ladievix, have insinuated that you have more information than we or the tribunal has.

Why should we put more faith in the opinions of three Internet posters with no history rather than an independent tribunal who will have considered all the information put to them ans uncovered in their own and other investigations?

ladievix Thu 24-Jan-13 21:15:22

I apologise. I insinuate nothing. I just find the whole senario so sad, I just dont think all this aggression and paranoia solves anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now