Argh - I'M in the news - the Daily Mail Online!!!

(76 Posts)
DillyTante Fri 28-Dec-12 10:41:42

So, a couple of months ago I did a short phone interview on Radio 4, about my yarn bombing.

I didn't realise until today that the Daily Mail Online have basically cribbed the interview and made it seem like I spoke to them!!! Ok, so they've linked to my blog so I should be grateful, but doesn't this seem like cheap journalism? Plus, I don't endorse the Daily Mail at all.

I want to show you all but don't want to link. Isn't there a way that you can link to a site without it showing on their stats?

ouryve Fri 28-Dec-12 13:58:34

I think the Saltburn yarn bombers are still a secret aren't they?

The Northern Echo would be all over it if they thought it was you, Dilly, even if you are at the opposite corner of the country!

trumpalot Fri 28-Dec-12 14:00:01

its all bonkers !"!

juniperdewdrop Fri 28-Dec-12 14:01:59

Saltburn's been going on for ages. I don't live far and have yet to go and see it.

ssd Fri 28-Dec-12 23:03:56

I love saltburn

Ponders Fri 28-Dec-12 23:07:12

The DM nicks articles from other media all the time

lazy bastards journalists

they do usually give some kind of credit somewhere in very small letters

ivykaty44 Sat 29-Dec-12 16:33:40

Op where I work had a similar thing recently with the DM - they stole the photographs from our work website and wrote what they wanted just cribbing agian from the website - it wasn't a bad piece - but the fact was they never asked permission or contact my place of work and there isn't a thing really that can be done, unless you want to spend a large amount of money.

beaver33 Sat 29-Dec-12 16:57:59

hmmm, well, as a journo myself I'm not sure you can call what You magazine - not, incidentally, the DM as they're run entirely separately - bad journalism.

I'm afraid once you put yourself into the public domain what you say in that domain becomes public....IYSWIM....so as long as what you're credited as saying is accurate then it's entirely fair to use.

It's good practice to contact the person concerned and say we'd like to talk to you about 'X' after your Radio 4 interview blah blah, but if you said no, your original comments are still in the public domain and can be used.

You may not like that, but it's not illegal or unethical. And I presume if the same comments had appeared, say, in the Guardian you wouldn't be upset, or be describing it as 'bad journalism'. You just don't like it....and that's different.....

beaver33 Sat 29-Dec-12 17:06:15

I'd add that your situation, ivykaty44 IS bad journalism because your workplace has copyright (presumably) over the pics and words on your website.

And in my book I'd always contact a company and, out of courtesy, mention that I'm referring to them and ask permission to use any web material. Most organisations are delighted to help if it's a bit of free publicity, so it's an incredibly easy and non-time consuming thing to do.

ivykaty44 Sat 29-Dec-12 19:31:08

yes it was a copyright issue, but not a straight forward one for us and caused a lot of problems. We gained publicity but it cost us more than it was worth....

Nancy66 Sat 29-Dec-12 20:30:54

i doubt the quotes came from Radio 4 - more likely from a quick Google - as there seems to be plenty out there.

JessBrodysTits Sun 30-Dec-12 18:16:11

You are clever! I love the idea of it grin

<wishes AGAIN that I knew how to knit>

NuclearStandoff Sun 30-Dec-12 21:20:40

I'm also a journalist and think that is it is poor journalism.

Quotes should be correctly attributed - and you should not imply someone has spoken directly to you if they have not (unless you are quoting direct from a press release). You can always say "... as XX says on their blog" or " ... as YY said in a recent interview on Radio 4."

lalalonglegs Sun 30-Dec-12 21:23:49

Hmm, I'm an (ex) journalist and I do think that it is wrong to try to pass off comments that have been made in another article/an entirely unconnected programme as your own. The standard form is at least to allude to the fact that you are quoting from a different source, eg, "Dilly has previously said,'We are mums of young children...' " After all, Johann Hari caused a scandal when it was revealed that he was copying quotes culled from other articles in his interviews and passing them off as ones that had been given direct to him by the interviewee.

Btw, I love yarn-bombing, Dilly, I'm going to start following your blog (unable even to knit a row in once colour myself).

lalalonglegs Sun 30-Dec-12 21:24:31

x-post nuclear.

Trills Sun 30-Dec-12 21:26:57

A yarnbomber called Dilly has broken cover to reveal that she and two friends are responsible for brightening up bollards, trees, patches of wasteland and benches in their home town of Cheltenham. ‘We are mums of young children; people with an interest in craft, taking it to the next level, being a little bit renegade and subverting a normally feminine medium,’ she says. They gave a horse statue in the town rainbow legwarmers, and attached a knitted heart with a chalkboard to a tree for Valentine’s Day, so people could write messages to loved ones. The Cheltenham yarnbombers no longer operate under cover of darkness, but in broad daylight. ‘We don’t look anyone in the eye and pretend that we are just supposed to be there,’ says Dilly. See her blog at dillytante.wordpress.com.

Trills Sun 30-Dec-12 21:28:11

They haven't said that you told them, they've just said that you've "broken cover" - did they tell you that they were quoting you (maybe get in contact via your blog) or did you find out some other way?

Xenia Tue 01-Jan-13 10:22:56

Isn't it litter though? If you drop an apple core the police fine you. Why is a knitted doll any less an offence?

Pinot Tue 01-Jan-13 10:52:12

Yawn, Xenia.

NuclearStandoff Tue 01-Jan-13 11:19:37

I see they do credit the blog in the piece, so not as bad.
Still, it's lazy journalism.

Pantomimedam Tue 01-Jan-13 11:29:06

That's partly why it's subversive, Xenia.

Johann Hari was of a completely different order - he pretended he had done 1-1 interviews that he wrote as lengthy profiles, with all sorts of made-up details about what had happened.

But it is Not Good Form to lift quotes without attribution. One of my mates went to work at the Mail. He described Sunday shifts (for Monday's paper) as 'copying out of the Sunday papers'.

Nancy66 Tue 01-Jan-13 11:32:04

'lazy journalism' MN favourite phrase.

It's very clear that it's not part of the main feature and they do not pass Dilly's one, singular quote off as part of the interview.

Pantomimedam Tue 01-Jan-13 11:34:32

It's not lazy, exactly, the writer of the Mail article will have been hard at work but doing what their news editor told them.

Nancy66 Tue 01-Jan-13 11:35:22

All newspapers look at stories in their rivals and decide whether to lift them, ignore them, follow them up.

Snorbs Tue 01-Jan-13 12:07:41

It is lazy journalism. I used to be a journalist (albeit not for a newspaper) and I'd have been shot if I'd lifted quotes from other sources rather than contacting the person I was quoting. And when I rose to the position of editor I'd have had serious talks with any of my staff who did the same.

It's also risky. If the "quote" you lifted turns out to be false then you have potentially repeated a libel which puts you in a dangerous position. I know that the Mail is rarely bothered about printing lies but more reputable publications do worry about that kind of thing.

Nancy66 Tue 01-Jan-13 12:18:17

Named sources yes. This is a quote from an, effectively, anonymous source.

We're talking about people who cover railings in crochet here - not the Middle East peace talks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now