OMG I am shocked .Lostprophets

(149 Posts)
threesocksfullofchocs Wed 19-Dec-12 11:26:02
threesocksfullofchocs Thu 20-Dec-12 11:24:55

surely they can only find people guilty ......if they are guilty.

Xenia Thu 20-Dec-12 11:25:10

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

wonderstuff Thu 20-Dec-12 11:28:27

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

FryOneFatChristmasTurkey Thu 20-Dec-12 11:29:39

Xenia Quote from Guardian:

The 35-year-old has been charged with conspiracy to engage in sexual activity with a female under 13 and possession/distribution of indecent images of children.

EldritchCleavage Thu 20-Dec-12 11:30:33

PandaWatch Thu 20-Dec-12 11:35:08

Izzyschangelingisarriving Thu 20-Dec-12 11:40:15

panda it can take up to 10 weeks to get a magistrates court date - even for this sort of offence - maybe it shouldn't but in practice - it does.

EldritchCleavage Thu 20-Dec-12 11:46:31

Not 10 weeks for the initial hearing, surely. People get arrested and brought before Magistrates for hearings very rapidly after arrest, even on Xmas Day, etc. How else could bail/remand be decided?

SchroSawMummyRidingSantaClaus Thu 20-Dec-12 11:47:24

FanjoTimeMammariesAndWine Thu 20-Dec-12 11:49:25

I would say trying to rape a 1 year old is "something real" hmm

Izzyschangelingisarriving Thu 20-Dec-12 11:51:26

Yes they can only find people guilty if they are guilty - but sexual offences are very hard to prove - especially in a one person's word against another scenario - find people not guilty when they are is far more likely under our adversarial system where a trial is simply a chess game between 2 barristers and it is no-ones job to find the truth in court.

Far too much is excluded - to protect through defendants rights - which makes for a fair trial for the accused but not for the victim.

Until I got dragged into this system - I had no idea how poor it is - I naively believed the truth would out - but I have discovered the truth has no place in a trial.

Izzyschangelingisarriving Thu 20-Dec-12 11:52:25

Yes I cab assure you 10 weeks from charge to magistrates is a real lifer example

Glittertwins Thu 20-Dec-12 12:00:01

When I first heard about this, it did cross my mind that it was a 12-13 yr old fan that looked and acted a lot older as this does happen. But the more I have now read makes me feel very squeamish and I really hope it is untrue for the children's sake.

Gah, meant to add, I am in now ay legally trained. This is just my understanding of the 'making indecent images' law. I believe it was brought in to prosecute paedophiles who were amassing images and sharing them. Am prepared to be corrected.

FryOneFatChristmasTurkey Thu 20-Dec-12 12:03:04

werewolvesdidit Thu 20-Dec-12 12:06:11

poor little girl sad

ThePoppyAndTheIvy Thu 20-Dec-12 12:11:07

Jesus Christ! I had never even heard of Ian Watkins before this (when I heard the news I thought they meant H from Steps - real name Ian Watkins blush). I have a one year old daughter - I really do feel sick having read the details, I was also assuming the charges would relate to a 12/13 year old he had met who looked & acted much older (not that that would be OK of course).

Not much shocks me, but that ANYONE could plot to do that to a baby is one of the things that does sad.

MyChemicalMummy Thu 20-Dec-12 12:12:48

@Izzy

he wouldn't have know any court dates in Nov when the tour was canceled. he was only arrested on monday.

SchroSawMummyRidingSantaClaus Thu 20-Dec-12 12:21:52

Chickens But would that not come under possession and distribution?

Izzyschangelingisarriving Thu 20-Dec-12 12:27:25

Izzyschangelingisarriving Thu 20-Dec-12 12:27:37

SchroSawMummyRidingSantaClaus Thu 20-Dec-12 12:38:07

I'm totally prepared to be wrong, I just thought that file sharing would have been distribution.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now