OMG I am shocked .Lostprophets

(149 Posts)
threesocksfullofchocs Wed 19-Dec-12 11:26:02
FlourFace Thu 20-Dec-12 09:05:23

I was thinking of sub judice, terpercent. And defamation with regards to other stuff I see on here. Not an entirely ridiculous question, especially given people's lack of understanding re total anonymity for victims of sexual offences for life. ^

FiercePanda Thu 20-Dec-12 09:12:37

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

threesocksfullofchocs Thu 20-Dec-12 09:23:07

it is in the news...
it is in Kerrang
of course people are going to talk

Feenie Thu 20-Dec-12 09:34:57

Oh well, if it's in Kerrang....

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pagwatch Thu 20-Dec-12 09:36:41

I can perfectly understand the shock and surprise of people who are fans etc.

But personally I think that the sooner we get beyond the ridiculous notion that paedophiles are a sordid looking type the better. Our children might be a bit safer if people really process the idea that a popular, good looking, young person can be a paedophile.

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

EldritchCleavage Thu 20-Dec-12 10:11:18

Proceedings are now 'active' under the Contempt of Court Act. Linking to earlier internet allegations and alleging guilt (directly or tacitly) is not a very good idea.

noddyholder Thu 20-Dec-12 10:11:24

Aboutlastnight Thu 20-Dec-12 10:15:07

I think this thread will be pulled - it is contempt of court.

In fact if you want to ensure the trial go ahead I would STFU now as you may prejudice the proceedings.

We are a civilised country, he is entitled to a fair trial whatever he is accused of.

threesocksfullofchocs Thu 20-Dec-12 10:17:24

don't be silly
how can saying you are shocked about a news story be contempt.
and do have a look at the JS threads if you want that.

Surely it's not contempt of court to talk about what is already out in public? Otherwise the papers wouldn't have been able to publish the article linked to in the OP?

Talking about stuff not published I can understand. But stuff that is?

Pag Absolutely. With the whole Saville thing there were a lot of comments about how he "looked the type", which is ridiculous. And why so many get away with it.

Though in this case my shock is less to do with how this guy looks, or who he is, more the thought that anyone could even think about doing anything like that to a 1 year old. It's just totally beyond my comprehension.

Aboutlastnight Thu 20-Dec-12 10:27:07

I am not being silly.

It is contempt of court. Once someone has been charged you are only allowed to print basic details, what charged with, who they are, where appearing etc. links to idle Internet speculation, commenting as if he is guilty; that is contempt.

But go ahead...

threesocksfullofchocs Thu 20-Dec-12 10:34:30

"We are a civilised country, he is entitled to a fair trial whatever he is accused of."
I agree.
but he has been named in the press, so people will talk about it.

EldritchCleavage Thu 20-Dec-12 10:35:12

Doesn't matter whether material is 'public' in the sense of having been published or not. What matters for contempt is whether it poses a 'serious risk of substantial prejudice' to a future trial.

Telling people that a person charged with an offence has been credibly accused of it before by people who apparently have evidence to back up their claims has the potential to do that. Talking about the person charged in a way that assumes (i) his guilt; or even just that (ii) he does have a sexual interest in children, also has the potential to do that.

Aboutlastnight Thu 20-Dec-12 10:40:36

Question is, do you want his defence to claim his trial has ben prejudiced due to Internet speculation? Would you be happy to see the trial collapse?

Ah, thank you for explaining that Eldritch

BornInACrossFireHurricane Thu 20-Dec-12 11:01:16

Fucking hell. A one year old?

I have a one year old daughter and could honestly be sick reading that.

threesocksfullofchocs Thu 20-Dec-12 11:05:20

then report those post.
mn hq can delete them
but stopping people from saying they are shocked is sill

wonderstuff Thu 20-Dec-12 11:05:34

It is awful. But it is the case that paedophiles appear to be nice, normal people. A ex-friend of mine was convicted of holding indecent images and abusing a girl several years ago - I had known him for years, had lots of friends in common, no one had any idea at all until it went to court - it was truly shocking.

I think that crimes like this are much more common than we think because everyone is, understandably, so reluctant to believe that people we know and trust are capable of this. I imagine that sexual offences against babies are rare - I fucking hope so - but crimes against young girls and holding and sharing images - I bet loads of people get away with that. sad

AlienRefucksLooksLikeSnow Thu 20-Dec-12 11:10:01

Oh Christ, It's horrific, not that it's a pop star, I don't give a rats wank what he does to earn a crust, but that a baby a baby could be raped, it's so heart breaking and what the Mother must feel god only knows. Start chemically castrating peadophiles is my honest opinion, you can no more 'rehabilitate' a persons lust for children that you could a normal man of fancying women.

PandaWatch Thu 20-Dec-12 11:11:57

The rest of the band have released a short statement www.lostprophets.com/. Aside from Ian and the drummer, all the others are married with young children. I can't imagine for one minute they had any idea about these allegations until now.

threesocksfullofchocs Thu 20-Dec-12 11:13:17

it must be very had for the band as their lives are now up in the air

Izzyschangelingisarriving Thu 20-Dec-12 11:22:30

Izzyschangelingisarriving Thu 20-Dec-12 11:24:13

alien the start needs to be a system that results in more guilty verdicts far too many people walk free

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now