Female genital mutilation

(12 Posts)
nellyjelly Mon 26-Nov-12 18:32:45

Horrific. Saw it too. Additionally a 4 week old baby boy died from a circumcision in manchester. No anaesthetic used. Poor little mite. Horrible.

Bloodybridget Sun 25-Nov-12 19:41:25

I read in yesterday's Guardian that the UK government wants to tighten laws. Apparently there has never been a prosecution here! 3 cases were started but dropped because mutilated girls (victims) changed statements etc.

Sleepstarved Wed 21-Nov-12 09:49:31

This kept me awake last night, so upsetting.
Feel like I must do something useful, no I will do something useful...

Euphemia France Tue 20-Nov-12 17:22:52

Thanks Angie.

angietrish Tue 20-Nov-12 14:22:48

If you want to know more about how you can help to end this awful practice that destroys girls' lives, you can go to this site www.orchidproject.org/
They also have more information on Indonesia, here: orchidproject.org/2011/08/indonesia-ministry-of-healths-guidelines-on-female-genital-cutting/

Meglet England Mon 19-Nov-12 12:31:09

yes, I heard France were trying to crack down on it. I don't have a problem with compulsory examinations, hell, they can check me too if they want to do everyone.

Childrenofthestones Mon 19-Nov-12 09:35:49

You dont have to go abroad to see this practice. It happens here in the uk in large numbers. Many girls are flown back to see grandparents etc and have it carried out there, but Britain has the worst record of it happening in the EU.
There are examples of women being flown in to carry out this practice on groups of girls at " Cut Parties" in private homes. It keeps the cost down for their parents.
Despite this being illegal for years and punishable by a 14yr stretch in pokey nobody has ever been charged let alone sentenced.
I read a while ago that France seems to be willing to grab the bull by the horns with compulsory physical examinations at the beginning of each school term.. Literally a 2 second examination by a nurse is all it would take.

Meglet England Mon 19-Nov-12 07:00:05

Yes, it was the first thing I read in the paper yesterday. I don't know what I can do to stop it but I couldn't ignore it. I couldn't beleieve how blatant it was. I remember reading Waris Diries book many years ago and that was lower key and took place in the countryside. This was turned into a public celebration sad.

I'll see if the journalist is on twitter for a start.

CalamityJones Mon 19-Nov-12 06:49:33

I read it, cried, and went to cuddle my sleeping one year old daughter. The hurt in that little girl's eyes.. Unimaginable

Euphemia France Mon 19-Nov-12 06:45:05

I also have a daughter, and the thought of this being done to her horrified me. The huge eyes on the baby at the end will haunt me for a long time.

I'm going to have to find out more about the organisation the journalist mentions which is trying to stop this.

angry

EnyainIkea Mon 19-Nov-12 00:42:12

I read the headline, had a fleeting glance at the photos of the crying girls and quickly turned the page whilst physically shaking. I've heard about FGM, read about it before but nothing affected me as much as just a glimpse of those faces. Maybe it's because I now have a daughter. I also felt for the journalist - how must she have felt witnessing that barbarism on such a vast scale? I am a total coward for having skipped the article I know. Can anything be done??

Euphemia France Sun 18-Nov-12 22:19:08

I cried reading this article in The Observer today. sad

What can I do to help try to get this barbaric practice stopped?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now