Sgt Danny Nightingale court martial

(35 Posts)
difficultpickle Wed 14-Nov-12 21:44:04

Is this madness or am I missing something? confused

I really don't understand why he has been shown no leniency.

AmberLeaf Fri 30-Nov-12 20:50:42

Has anyone else read the court martial document?

He knew he had it.

It was in a case on a shelf in his wardrobe, the ammo was in a box under his bed.

His housemate was also jailed for 2 years for the weapons/ammo found in his possession in the same raid.

There was lots about this case that [understandably for his case] wasn't mentioned in all the publicity.

edam Fri 30-Nov-12 21:33:33

Ah, I hadn't heard that Amberleaf. If true, that does put rather a different complexion on it.

madwomanintheattic Fri 30-Nov-12 21:40:10

exactimo.

And as I said earlier in the thread, he was never going to do 18 mos.

Silly boy. Should have dealt with it properly at the time. He had two years to do so before his collapse.

Hopefully this will have the added effect of highlighting the truly shocking abomination that is the MOD's response to head trauma/ brain injury and return to work, though.

The two things need to be dealt with completely separately.

If it all works well, they will instigate routine and frequent checks for head injured personnel (rather than the 'ohhhhhhh, you should be all right, let us know if you feel poorly' bollocks that leads to folk with TBI being left in charge of planes and weapons) and tighten up their extraordinarily lax attitude to war trophies.

<brushes off hands>

Jobs a good 'un.

AmberLeaf Fri 30-Nov-12 21:40:36

It certainly does.

Link to court martial document

AmberLeaf Fri 30-Nov-12 21:43:26

I agree that the MOD/british army seem to have a relaxed attitude towards brain injuries etc and being passed fit for duty [I don't have any personal experience of this, just things Ive read]

But Im amazed that people truely believe this sort of thing is not usual.

This happens. A lot.

Its just most people on the whole get away with it.

AmberLeaf Fri 30-Nov-12 21:44:18

By 'this sort of thing' I mean soldiers having weapons they shouldn't have.

madwomanintheattic Fri 30-Nov-12 21:47:25

Well, exactly. There are thousands of war trophies all over the country, from this sort of pistol crap to rocket launchers and pretty big pieces of kit.

The boys all know the rules and they just ignore them.

He had two years to get it decommissioned and presented to the mess. Quite what he actually thought he was doing with the fecking ammo is a whole other ball game.

Idiot.

AmberLeaf Fri 30-Nov-12 21:58:47

I don't believe he ever intended to hand it in/get it decommissioned.

madwomanintheattic Fri 30-Nov-12 23:09:29

Nah, of course not. The idiots just keep them as gizzits. <sigh>

They are quite commonly brought back under that pretext though, so it was a good excuse to use in the first instance.

I'm slightly alarmed by what in the lord's name the pair of them thought they were doing in their little housy with all that crap everywhere, though. And however much of a war hero, blah, I have no idea what he's got on his commanding officers to cause them to make that much fuss on his behalf. (One assumes they ditched they own trophies or got someone else to carry and sort out the proper paperwork).

I am glad he's home, but the whole thing is a bit of a mess.

AmberLeaf Sat 01-Dec-12 01:05:06

The more I read about this case the more it angers me TBH.

His family, his defence team and the media are liars.

It shows how the media can manipulate the gullible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now