I don't know one single reason why Scotland would want to quit the UK

(366 Posts)

I'm genuinely interested in the reasons why Scotland want to break away from the UK. I'm sure there must be many good ones but I jyst can't see any atm.

forgetmenots Sat 17-Nov-12 09:11:17

Haha prettybird - YANBU!!!! smile

Shenanagins Sat 17-Nov-12 09:18:12

Both myself and my partner voted for the snp at the last election but neither of us will vote for independence.

we both believe that Scotlandwill make it as an independent country but it will be a long hard process, much harder than what we are being told. i do also believe that many English underestimate just how much of a negative impact it will have on them.

what many people in England and the snp fail to realise is that many of us from across the political spectrum vote for them is because right now they really are the only viable party in Scotland and have done an ok job in running the country so far.

JennyPiccolo Sat 17-Nov-12 09:55:48

Would be interesting if Scottish folk could post where they are in the country and whether they think most people they know would vote yes or no.

I'm in Glasgow, most of my friends here would vote yes. My DP is from fife, most of his friends would vote no, though a couple are strongly in favour. He would vote yes, but has only recently come to that decision.

Most of the no camp have said they would be inclined to vote yes if there was a risk of nhs privatisation in Scotland.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sat 17-Nov-12 10:26:09

There was an interesting story in the Sunday Times the other week that suggested a "yes" to independence vote is more likely if voters think the Tories will get back into Westminster at the next election. Go, Dave! grin

prettybird Sat 17-Nov-12 12:57:58

I'm in Glasgow and most of the people I know who expressed a preference are going to vote "yes" - although it's not really something that has been discussed much in places where I don't already know other people's views (eg at the rugby club).

I have a couple of former colleagues from work who, judging by their fb posts, are going to be voting "Yes" and I know that my dad has friends in Fife who will be voting yes. Dh is (I think) still undecided.

But in general, it doesn't seem to be a topic that people are openly talking about. I almost get an impression that both "sides" don't want to hurt the feelings of the other, so therefore people's opinions are being kept personal and private.

Ds (who will only be 14 when the vote takes place so is disappointed that he won't be able to vote) has asked me to vote "No" so that he can still(!wink) be part of the British Cycling team and compete with them in 2020 Olympics! grin

PoppyAmex Sat 17-Nov-12 14:09:27

"But in general, it doesn't seem to be a topic that people are openly talking about. I almost get an impression that both "sides" don't want to hurt the feelings of the other, so therefore people's opinions are being kept personal and private."

prettybird I've noticed this too, which is interesting. It's especially noticeable between people who know they will disagree on the matter me and MIL grin

prettybird Sat 17-Nov-12 14:44:09

I have one friend who voted SNP last time, will probably vote "Yes" at the vote but whose parents were/are pillars of the Conservative Party (we're talking MBE for services to politics).

His mother never knew that he had voted SNP - but, if you believe in the after-life, she does now! wink (don't worry - we've joked about this with him)

JennyPiccolo Sat 17-Nov-12 14:59:47

Lots of people I've spoken to about it seem to express a strong viewpoint then state 'well actually I don't know much about it but ill probably vote X'

WELL BLARDY EDUCATE YOURSELF. It's not fucking X factor.

So mostly I've stopped talking to people about it cos I get wound up.

prettybird Sat 17-Nov-12 16:24:17

Interesting comments from one of Scotland's richest people.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 17-Nov-12 16:36:24

I'm in Glasgow and don't know anyone who will be voting no. The only people I know who are against it are my relatives in england/Wales, and their argument is against is the whole too wee/too poor/too stupid thing.

PoppyAmex Sat 17-Nov-12 16:50:45

prettybird interesting article and, more importantly, what a great point he makes!

JennyPiccolo Sat 17-Nov-12 17:31:41

Yeah. Really, things will not stay the same either way. We need to know what a no vote would mean as well.

mirry2 Sat 17-Nov-12 18:38:12

Jenny I wouldthink it would depend on the proportion of nos to yeses. If the vast majority voted no, I suspect nothing much would change as it would appear that most were happy with the status quo.

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Sat 17-Nov-12 20:17:57

gosh yes what an interesting point that article makes, the Better Together people almost aren't mentioning what they can do for Scotland in teh future, they're just offering more of the same.

(that said, i just can't see how anyone can vote yes in the absence of an agreement with the rest of the UK as to what the financials will be).

prettybird Mon 19-Nov-12 15:46:02

Read a good review of this book "Arguing for Independence: Evidence, Risks and the Wicked Issues" by Stephen Maxwell in the Herald this weekend.

Haven't read it myself though.

PoppyAmex Mon 19-Nov-12 20:00:56

prettybird thanks for that; might investigate and see if I can get it for Kindle.

awaynboilyurheid Tue 20-Nov-12 18:50:58

A definite NO vote here for independance and no one I know (west coast of Scotland area) wants it either, personally I am terrified at the prospect, we have a say in how our country is run by having our own parliment so I just cant understand why we need to be seperate, much stronger joined together.

prettybird Tue 20-Nov-12 20:14:16

I am interested to know why you are terrified at the prospect. What is it you are scared of?

prettybird Wed 21-Nov-12 08:43:15

Another interesting article, this time from Patrick Harvie, (Green MSP), calling for reasoned debate.

Here

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Wed 21-Nov-12 12:23:25

as an undecided head/heart voter, i'd love to think we could have that reasoned debate but remember the No To AV lies that we were told by Baroness Warsi et al.

JennyPiccolo Wed 21-Nov-12 12:30:32

There's a good article about the finances in the herald today by Ian bell. I don't know how to link it on my phone, but it's worth a google.

prettybird Wed 21-Nov-12 12:35:26

I know where you're coming from Aitch .

In the same way, I'm extremely distrustful of the "Trust us, vote No and we'll give you more undefined powers after the vote but don't expect us to give you any detail or indeed any firm commitment " message that is coming from the Westminster parties. hmm

If it's such a good idea, why can't they give us proposals now?

OneMoreChap Wed 21-Nov-12 14:00:56

See the Herald article in question

JennyPiccolo Wed 21-Nov-12 14:17:57

Ah, thanks.

Solopower1 Wed 21-Nov-12 15:02:13

I don't know if we're ever going to settle the 'Would we be better off financially?' debate, because there are too many unanswered and unaswerable questions, and no-one trusts or accepts anyone else's figures.

I've read the whole thread, but there are still so many things I would need to know before I voted yes or no to independence, and there are no solid answers, not one, none at all that I can trust!

The main problem is that whatever agreements the SNP signs now with Westminster, whatever promises they or any other party make, could change as soon as we have the first elections as an independent Scotland.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now