Naming a rape victim - not as serious as wearing an offensive T-shirt, apparently

(8 Posts)
lionheart Wed 07-Nov-12 15:12:26

It is quite arbitrary, or so it seems.

edam Wed 07-Nov-12 14:32:58

Thing is, naming a rape victim is clearly illegal and wrong in itself, but it's also close to contempt of court or interfering in the administration of justice or something like that - it's flouting not only a law but the administration of the law. I'd say that makes it an extremely serious matter. Far more serious than wearing an offensive T-shirt or tweeting a stupid joke. Yet apparently a judge didn't think so. (Although the judge did say it was very serious, so why the extremely lenient sentences?)

MooncupGoddess Wed 07-Nov-12 14:03:00

There has been some ridiculous sentencing recently. I try not to get worked up into a Daily Mail-style 'judges are bonkers' froth, but I do wonder what's going on sometimes.

lionheart Wed 07-Nov-12 13:59:01

I wonder how the conversation in the staff-room or with the Head went.

edam Tue 06-Nov-12 21:28:24

bump - would be surprised if no-one else was bothered by this...

FrothyOM Tue 06-Nov-12 16:03:36

£600 is not a deterrent. angry

JuliaScurr Tue 06-Nov-12 15:28:47

yep

edam Tue 06-Nov-12 15:25:10

the price of naming a rape victim is just 600 One of the criminals was a teacher, FFS...

People have been sent to actual prison for making racist remarks on twitter, for posting about the riots on facebook, for joking about an airport being closed... yet naming a rape victim, something that most people would agree actually is quite a serious offence, is treated far more leniently. Seems all out of kilter.

(I'm not in favour of the ludicrously heavy sentences for jokes or T-shirts, personally, but I do think naming a rape victim should be treated as an extremely serious matter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now