A school with only ethnic miority children would the education level be like?

(38 Posts)
alfy Wed 31-Oct-12 22:47:57

A school full of only ethnic minority children would the education level be low and would these kids be able to mix with white children when older?

threesocksonathreeleggedwitch Wed 31-Oct-12 22:55:39

wtf?

TaggieCampbellBlack Wed 31-Oct-12 23:02:32

What? Like every child from a different ethnic minority? Or like all of them from the same ethnic minority (so therefore, the ethnic majority)?.

I din't get it.

McPhee Wed 31-Oct-12 23:03:50

Strange person hmm

TaggieCampbellBlack Wed 31-Oct-12 23:03:57

And if all the children were an 'ethnic minority' and only one 'white' one then the white one would be the minority and the bkack/brown/purple ones be the majority.

Ponders Wed 31-Oct-12 23:05:06

how many children in the school?
how many different "ethnic minorities"?
what ages?
what do you mean by "would these kids be able to mix with white children when older"?

noddyholder Wed 31-Oct-12 23:05:42

?

TaggieCampbellBlack Wed 31-Oct-12 23:05:49

And I might have missed something but if a group of children are a 'minority' does that stop them 'mixing'?

Their parents wouldn't want them to mix with 'white' people such as yourself I'd imagine.

threesocksonathreeleggedwitch Wed 31-Oct-12 23:07:47

maybe the op has posted in this topic by mistake.
she meant to post in cooking and talk about mixing there.....

TaggieCampbellBlack Wed 31-Oct-12 23:09:20

God I need cake now. Stop talking about mixing.

sausagesandwich34 Wed 31-Oct-12 23:10:09

My DD went to a primary where she was the only white child in the year but not the school

we moved from the school, not because of that but because we were renting and the landlord wanted to sell the house and we couldn't find a house in the same area

70% of the children entering the school has english as a second language

work was still diferentiated, they still taught phonics etc and DD was above national targets when she left the school towards the end of Yr1

so in my experience of primary then you can still have a school producing good results

in terms of mixing, there are an awful lot more factors involved than the school

ThePathanKhansWitch Wed 31-Oct-12 23:17:13

I live beside a girls Islamic school. All of the children are from a Asian/Arab/African heritage. Gcse results are amazing, children very lovely, all local schools had an interfaith day recently.They didn,t have any problems mixing.
Why do you ask?

noblegiraffe Wed 31-Oct-12 23:17:40

Some ethnic groups do better at school, on average, some worse on average, than white British children. Statistically speaking.

nailak Wed 31-Oct-12 23:17:52

bilingual children have better outcomes by the age of 11 due to the skills needed in understanding two sets of grammar etc, i wish my kids were bi lingual.

and kids are colour blind tbh, my dds dont notice their friends colours, or special needs or anything like that.

RinderThrillerNight Wed 31-Oct-12 23:21:42

I dunno, but perhaps they might be able to construct a sentence.

I really don't understand your question OP. Why on earth would the education level be low? Why would they not be able to mix with other people?

BackforGood Wed 31-Oct-12 23:26:01

In our Local Authority, the 'minority' group are the white children. Does that help with your strange thinking at all, or just confuse you further ?

Mybabyseyes Thu 01-Nov-12 00:44:28

According to govt statistics, the ethnic group struggling the most in school is white working class boys. Statistics also show that when certain ethnic minorities move into areas with low attainment, the attainment level goes up. Might give you something to think about Op.

claig Thu 01-Nov-12 00:47:52

OP, is your surname Garnett?

EmpressOfTheSevenScreams Thu 01-Nov-12 00:53:14

My Black British DD (Yr 7) is in top sets for most subjects at her comp and G&T in Drama, English & History. If you're counting her as ethnic minority, OP, you'd need much more than a low education level.

And if what you're actually thinking about is DCs who don't have English as a first language, quite a few of them will be white. And quite a lot might even be intelligent.

WofflingOn Thu 01-Nov-12 05:41:42

Worked in a school like that, in a very deprived area. First generation immigrant parents mostly, and a lot of children arriving straight off the plane too.
Excellent attitudes to education and very ambitious for the most part, they saw it as a way of escaping the poverty and illiteracy of many of their parents.
And they did.
Several of my pupils not only mixed with white children in secondary and at uni, they even married them. Did you mean your post to sound as racist and negative as it did?

cornybeefhash Thu 01-Nov-12 10:28:06

Last stats I saw indicated that white working class boys are statistically the worst achievers in primary schools.

MrsDeVere Thu 01-Nov-12 10:32:28

Would you include my children as one of the ethnics?
Being brown I suppose they would be classed the same as kids newly arrived from Pakistan?
But then what about the Polish children who look alright but don't talk proper yet?
Or the African kid whose parents are doctors at the local hospital?

It's just so confusing being bigoted. I don't know how people keep it ip, I really don't.

TantrumsIsTheREALPumpkinKiller Thu 01-Nov-12 10:44:43

I suppose mine would be "ethnic" as well, despite being born in this country.

Well if it makes you feel any better OP they are top set for everything, and even have white friends.

What an odd OP

Primafacie Thu 01-Nov-12 11:27:54

I went to an all-white school and married a 'brown' guy, so I don't think the ability to mix with another ethnic group would be compromised once the children grow up.

As for whether the education level would be low if the school is full of ethnic minority children, it depends. Are you talking about a single ethnic group or a mix? Some minorities (e.g. Indian) are known to perform significantly better than British white children, whereas others (e.g. Black Carribean) are substantially behind at KS3/KS4.

Can you clarify your OP?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now