'Number 10 link to paedophile ring'-Press association

(346 Posts)
kweggie Wed 24-Oct-12 15:59:44

'There is "clear intelligence" suggesting a historic paedophile ring may be linked to Downing Street and a former prime minister, MPs have been told.

Labour MP Tom Watson alleged a member of a notorious group was connected to a former No 10 aide'

Am I the only one who thinks I may have been living my who;e life in a parallel (decent)universe.....
how much more sleaze is going to emerge......I'm shocked

bringupthebabies Fri 09-Nov-12 19:05:38

www.channel4.com/news/child-abuse-north-wales-waterhouse-inquiry-sian-griffiths

Just wanted to copy this interview over to the new thread because, for those who think it's just a load of internet-inflated exaggeration, or the allegations are motivated by compo claims, the C4 interview with Sian Griffiths corroborates the allegations and the subsequent establishment cover-up, as well as the truth of the accusations against 3 people in high positions.

bringupthebabies Fri 09-Nov-12 18:55:56

What did people expect?

If you were accused of child abuse and had actually committed that most heinous and immoral of crimes, would you ignore the accusations for years and years and then suddenly confess?

Or would you deny it, hoping that it would be suppressed and covered-up as it had been for the last 30 years?

I don't think the statement today makes one jot of difference to anything - innocence or guilt.

When I read Lord McA's name linked to Bryn Estyn I must admit I immediately thought of the McAlpine I know of in north wales during that time - the one who owned Penrhyn Quarry - less than an hour's drive from Wrexham.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penrhyn_Quarry

NapDamnYou Fri 09-Nov-12 18:43:39

am i being paranoid to now think it isn't so surprising that trying to get anonymity for those accused of rape was one of the tory parties first orders of business upon getting into power? it seemed such an odd starting point at the time.

Jux Wed 07-Nov-12 10:40:06

Not patronising, Emmeline; I meant the thanks genuinely. I did and do find your post helpful!

EmmelineGoulden Wed 07-Nov-12 08:46:02

Sorry, I wasn't meaning to patronize.

I think our libel laws are frequently used to protect the guilty as well as the innocent. I don't think we've got the balance right at all, but I'm not sure what the best way to change them would be. There are always unintended consequences.

Jux Wed 07-Nov-12 00:13:30

Thank you, Emmeline. I kind of knew that really, but it's helpful to have it spelt out clearly. It is morally right too, the intention is to protect the innocent. At the moment though I think there are probably at least some innocents caught up in it.

EmmelineGoulden Tue 06-Nov-12 17:35:47

Jux Papers can report if someone is arrested or charged. They can make other factual statements about what goes on in court and what claims are made in court because court proceedings have a protected status. But if they take that further and suggest an accused is guilty before being convicted, there is a possibility they will be sued for libel.

Victims can make statements to the police, but they can't publish those accusations anywhere without risking being sued. Newspapers etc. reporting that x says such and such about y, if that claim isn't made in court (or under parliamentary privilege), can be sued for publishing the claim made by x. So if they cannot substantiate the claim to the high standards required by our libel laws, they are in danger of having to pay substantial damages.

MrsjREwing Tue 06-Nov-12 14:55:36

Is he even in the Uk?

I don't understand why else he hasn't been arrested?

Jux Tue 06-Nov-12 14:52:37

One very bad thing about Newsnight and so on bottling out, not naming names, is that a lot of speculation goes on, with the risk of irrevocably damaging innocent people too.

I am getting fed up with hints and winks, and speculation gone wild - not here - and just want someone to say "no, not him/her, that's not who I'm talking about; I'm talking about X". Can even the victims not do that?

Why was that footballer, who recently went down for rape, named before trial, and none of these people?

sieglinde Tue 06-Nov-12 09:43:33

Wow. Excludes the name of the minister of whom I was told. So more to emerge, I think.

Hummingbirds Mon 05-Nov-12 22:37:50

link of barrister's site here:

barrister's blog

MrsjREwing Mon 05-Nov-12 22:30:37

I hope you don't mind, I reported as the link names people, if the link said "look here" for example I wouldn't have reported.

Hummingbirds Mon 05-Nov-12 22:15:00

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Hummingbirds Mon 05-Nov-12 22:14:35

Further to the link to the Jailhouse Lawyer blog which named four Conservative politicians: my intuition was right. According to a former barrister,

"He [Jailhouse Lawyer] says he’s got sources for the allegations and will go to prison to protect them."

And the barrister himself claims also to have sources for allegations against three of the men:

"I will say that my source was a senior public official who was involved with the tribunal of inquiry into the abuse of children in care in North Wales, known as the Waterhouse Inquiry."

Explosive stuff indeed!

margerybruce Mon 05-Nov-12 09:46:14

Greeting Cards for Justice

Please join in with this ........

co-ordinated campaign to send a card to highlight abuse of children and demand action

sieglinde Mon 05-Nov-12 08:51:41

Thanks for that link, napofthedamned.

NapOfTheDamned Mon 05-Nov-12 01:23:57
NapOfTheDamned Mon 05-Nov-12 01:23:33

A good thread on the subject on another forum.

http://www.urban75.net/forums/threads/how-much-evidence-is-there-of-long-term-high-level-uk-paedophile-ring.301059/

Site editor is libel conscious so should be safe...

mignonette Sun 04-Nov-12 08:42:01

I'm not sure, Jux...sad...I would think that there have been cases, plenty of cases where charges were made irrespective of whatever victim/perp wanted but cannot be sure regarding such a high profile case.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-20196086

i want to see the names released and a full proper open enquiry.

Jux Sun 04-Nov-12 01:12:08

Could the CPS do that then, though, mignonette? I'm not sure they could. There was a girl in my year at school - early 70s, we were 14ish - whose 25 yo boyfriend was up in court for statutory rape, as her dad pressed charges. There was some talk at the time, among the adults, that if she'd been able to persuade her dad not to, nothing could have been done.

Strange to remember how none of us saw it as abusive, or disgusting; simply how mature she must have been, almost as if she were a different breed from us low-lifes, that she had a bf so much older. Not that any many of us would actually have done anything other than run away had we had similar opportunity.

LineRunner Sun 04-Nov-12 00:16:18

Ecen now the media, if you look, say things like Mandy Smith at 13 'lured' Bill Wyman.

mignonette Sun 04-Nov-12 00:00:35

Yes.....<<<<<< blech >>>>>>

LineRunner Sat 03-Nov-12 23:59:56

Didn't the mother then have a thing with Bill Wyman's step-son?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now