'Number 10 link to paedophile ring'-Press association

(346 Posts)
kweggie Wed 24-Oct-12 15:59:44

'There is "clear intelligence" suggesting a historic paedophile ring may be linked to Downing Street and a former prime minister, MPs have been told.

Labour MP Tom Watson alleged a member of a notorious group was connected to a former No 10 aide'

Am I the only one who thinks I may have been living my who;e life in a parallel (decent)universe.....
how much more sleaze is going to emerge......I'm shocked

limitedperiodonly Sat 27-Oct-12 15:58:36

Deborah Orr is right. I long for this to be the death knell of the celeb tsar who is appointed an expert by any govt just because something horrible has happened to a relation and they're famous

Won't happen though.

Darkesteyes Sat 27-Oct-12 16:23:38

Unfortunately limited i think you are absolutely right.
In fact its probably even more likely that we will end up with another celeb tsar due to the celebrity culture we live in today. The obsession with celebrity is much much worse now than it was in the 60s 70s and 80s even the 90s.

LaVolcan Sat 27-Oct-12 16:23:43

It will be interesting to see how many 'stars' decide to leave the country.

I was working for the tax office about the time Ken Dodd was being taken to court for tax irregularities. A surprising number of people suddenly decided that it was time to put their tax affairs in order.

Darkesteyes Sat 27-Oct-12 16:26:03

LaVolcanSat 27-Oct-12 16:23:43

It will be interesting to see how many 'stars' decide to leave the country.

Ive been saying this to my DH. In fact i remember saying to him that if i was working in an airport or on Eurostar etc id certainly be keeping my eyes out.

noddyholder Sat 27-Oct-12 16:48:55

Silence from his old mate prince charles

WynkenBlynkenandNod Sat 27-Oct-12 16:53:14

The last week few weeks have been incredibly disturbing. I saw the clip of Tom Watson asking his question at PMQT. Cameron responds he's 'not entirely sure' which PM Watson is referring to.

What is very very disturbing is the fact Savile's child abuse appears to have been an open secret in some circles. He was closely linked to Margaret Thatcher (a number of sources on the Internet allege he spent a fair few Christmas's with her). There are a number of photos of them together and tons with the Royal Family. Surely those close to Royals and PM's are thoroughly vetted in the interest of security ?

It seems inconceivable given what has been revealed recently that his abuse was not known by the advisors to the Royal Family and top politicians. Serious questions have to be answered as to what culture existed/exists that it was deemed acceptable for him to be linked with these people when he clearly was a prolific sex offender which a lot of people knew about? If the rumours of his abuse didn't reach the ears of those that vet the people surrounding our top public figures then that in itself is a huge failure and needs to be investigated.

It seems that after Tom Watson's statement it's all gone very quiet and the public focus has been diverted onto the celebrity aspect. Which is important but the issues of the paedophilia claims in government need to remain high on the agenda, there are serious questions that need answering and I feel we should not rest until they are. I for one shall be writing to my MP, not that I feel it will do any good but I have to do something.

edam Sat 27-Oct-12 17:00:18

Maybe the reason the coverage is rather quiet on the government/royal connections is that the people concerned still have considerable power. Not least, among the press. Can't imagine the Telegraph having a pop at Thatcher or the Royals, Murdoch has his own agenda (bashing the Beeb for commercial reasons/to distract everyone from his own wrongdoing), the Mail and the Express also hate the Beeb for commercial/ideological reasons... it's convenient for much of the media to focus on the Beeb, it's convenient for those with money and power, those with money and power have considerable influence over much of the media...

edam Sat 27-Oct-12 17:00:51

(Let's hope the Guardian, Indie, ITV and Channel Four are paying close attention.)

Abra1d Sat 27-Oct-12 17:10:20

JS was working for the BBC. Not the Daily Telegraph.Or the Mail. Let's not forget that. The same BBC which takes money from everyone in the country who wants to watch a TV set, even if they don't want to watch BBC programmes. All of us who watched television back in the seventies, eighties and nineties have thus been paying JS indirectly.

Jux Sat 27-Oct-12 17:31:55

I'm willing to bet that the Beeb is not the only broadcast organisation where this went on. Why would it be? Celebrities exist on all channels, after all.

seeker Sat 27-Oct-12 17:34:57

The Honours Committee that approved his knighthood has questions to answer....

MrsjREwing Sat 27-Oct-12 17:36:45

I agree Noddy, the silence is deafening.

Abra1d Sat 27-Oct-12 17:43:48

Lots of people have interesting silences at the moment.

Harriet Harman became legal officer of the National Council for Civil Liberties (NCCL) soon after it campaigned for a more relaxed approach to sex with children.

WynkenBlynkenandNod Sat 27-Oct-12 17:45:37

Exactly Edam. But it's not on and money and power should not allow anyone to be immune to the laws of the land as they are what should be keeping a culture civilised and in order.

If 'clear evidence' was held as alleged and has been destroyed this in incredibly concerning and absolutely has to be investigated as to what happened to it and whether it was thoroughly investigated. I saw a post on a site somewhere that listed sex offence convictions across all the major parties . Obviously I have no way of knowing how factually correct that is but it will be a matter of public record and I would really like to see someone publish this. Actually what I'd really like to see are figures of percentage of MP's with sex offence convictions versus that of the general population to set my mind at rest that it is significantly lower as should be in a group elected to govern the country. But that's never going to happen is it.

MrsjREwing Sat 27-Oct-12 17:45:42

HH has interesting relatives.

Darkesteyes Sat 27-Oct-12 17:48:21

Max Clifford video. there seems to be some victim blaming in this.

www.guardian.co.uk/media/video/2012/oct/27/jimmy-savile-celebrities-max-clifford-video?CMP=twt_fd

MrsjREwing Sat 27-Oct-12 17:48:34

It was said on BBC Horizon by Jim Fallon that psychopaths always rise to the top, due to their lack of empathy, manipulative personality and great social skills.

ATourchOfInsanity Sat 27-Oct-12 17:51:17

I think it was very telling when JS said that if he left he would 'take half of the corporation with him' - you don't say that unless you have something on people. If the top bods at BBC know/have been involved in more, it is only a step away from other important and powerful people.

Darkesteyes Sat 27-Oct-12 17:53:08

Clifford makes some damaging statements in that video saying that some survivors have contacted him and that they are after money and that 50% of what they are saying isnt true. angry

ATourchOfInsanity Sat 27-Oct-12 17:53:26

Yes edam if you watched the JS exposee they felt they had to wait until he had died - I think he died on the Sat and the documentary maker went in to his boss to go ahead with the story on the Monday. Unfortunately we probably won't get the full story for a few years to come sad

Abra1d Sat 27-Oct-12 17:55:05

MrsjREwing, indeed.

I can't believe that she really thought it was all right for adults to take photographs of naked 14-year-olds, and that the onus should be on the prosecution to prove that the children were 'actually harmed'.

seeker Sat 27-Oct-12 17:56:44

"Harriet Harman became legal officer of the National Council for Civil Liberties (NCCL) soon after it campaigned for a more relaxed approach to sex with children."

When did the NCCL campaign for a more relaxed approach to sex with children?

Darkesteyes Sat 27-Oct-12 17:58:14

Yes that was Meirion Jones who went to his boss two days after Savile died. His aunt was the head of Duncroft and he remembers going there with his parents as a child. Apparently his parents did ask questions at the time but were fobbed off.
He remembers Savile turning up in his Rolls and how strange it all was.
As he got older he realised something really wasnt right.
I think he had been waiting for years to expose the truth.

Hummingbirds Sat 27-Oct-12 18:04:07

All this reminds me of a documentary made for Yorkshire TV that never aired. It was blocked by people in very high places. Highly recommended, albeit deeply disturbing. You can watch it online: 'Conspiracy of Silence - The Franklin Cover-up'. In a nutshell - top politicians and little boys from children's homes. Even implicated Bush senior, if I remember correctly.

MrsjREwing Sat 27-Oct-12 18:06:42

Do you know who runs childline, nspcc, do you know who runs nspcc?

I see TH's charitable trust decided to close his former home to the public!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now