Are you in favour of Scotland leaving the UK?

(587 Posts)
LadyMaryCreepyCrawley Mon 15-Oct-12 18:39:05

Lucky bastards! sad

Solopower1 Mon 22-Oct-12 16:34:23

Kentonio, if either side won but there hadn't been a proper debate, it would store up problems for the future. In order to make the right decision, we need to hear all the arguments, imo.

I didn't see the debate, but I would expect equal time to be given to each side.

Kentonio Mon 22-Oct-12 09:40:53

Charlie1972 Why exactly should the BBC or anyone else be bending over backwards to help you destroy the union? You guys are the ones who want to radically change the shape of the country, and you're being given the opportunity to make your case for that. It seems a bit unreasonable however to expect everyone to help you do that.

riveroise Mon 22-Oct-12 05:04:03

Not read all posts in thread!

I'm English born, and have visited different parts of Scotland a few times. Scotland feels like a another country to me, and if the Scottish people democratically vote for independence, then fandabbydosy. smile

(apols. for spellling)

Solopower1 Sun 21-Oct-12 22:22:10

Nicola Sturgeon has announced an extra £9 million for the poorest families.

Expect more of this sort of thing. No complaints here. But it won't affect the way I vote over independence.

Charlie1972 Sat 20-Oct-12 16:30:27

Kentonio

Can't agree with that, as a neutral broadcaster, the BBC should be bending over backwards to allow the two sides equal time. 12% of the time is not equal and shows the BBC up in a very bad light indeed.

Theyre not doing themselves any favours for post-independence, you'd have thought the Beeb would be, if anything, pro-Indy, to give them the best chance of continuing to exist in 2016....

giveitago Fri 19-Oct-12 22:11:54

Yes and I'm saying that I'm in a country that's in this partnership and I certainly don't see the point of it - but noone is canvassing my vote.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 19-Oct-12 22:04:24

It is everyone's issue, but if one partner in the relationship wants to leave, you have to let them go.

giveitago Fri 19-Oct-12 22:03:11

I'm not so happy that this is only a scottish issue. This is everyone's issue surely? I (english resident) would be very happy for scotland to be independent.

No issues about the scots but I have no vested interest in that place at all so why be joined together?

Kentonio Fri 19-Oct-12 16:21:28

It was a discussion panel on more issues than just independence, and they tried to represent a range of Scottish interests. It's becoming depressingly typical however for the pro-independence people to start crying about bias and playing the victim card every time someone dares to disagree with them.

Charlie1972 Fri 19-Oct-12 16:06:08

There has already been a media breakdown of last nights QT discussions, and the length of time that Independence speakers had an opportunity to talk was just 12%. Pretty appalling broadcasting, and dismal bias from an organisation that defends its impartiality.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 19-Oct-12 15:26:14

http://www.egovmonitor.com/2012/10/19/salmond-could-use-devo-max-to-win-scottishindependence

Interesting article....

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 19-Oct-12 11:30:44

I was quite surprised too - i thought part of the Edinburgh agreement was that the BBC had to report independence issues in an unbiased fashion.

The makeup of last night's question time panel was almost totally unionist, as was the make up of the audience (although to be fair the nats were louder!)

I've got a bit of a crush on the that trade union guy though, he was great blush

FannyFifer Fri 19-Oct-12 09:41:37

The usual tactics were deployed by No campaign I see, the booing and talking over anyone not on the same side.
Another 2 years of this shite to look forward to eh.
The trade Union guy was a bit of a surprise, tried to get reasonable debate going.
Curran is a piece of work, I remember her absolutely ungracious victory speech at the last election, embarrassment.

Charlie1972 Fri 19-Oct-12 09:13:20

The fishwife Margaret Curran really is a piece of work eh.

Hard to believe I'm in the same party as she is.....

FannyFifer Thu 18-Oct-12 22:33:20

Great non biased question time tonight then.

JennyPiccolo Thu 18-Oct-12 22:22:41

Should be an interesting Question Time tonight.

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Thu 18-Oct-12 21:25:52

at least with you havign the Princess Catherine figurine there's no question mark over where your loyalties lie, Saltire. grin

Solopower1 Thu 18-Oct-12 21:01:11

I used to fantasise about an independent Scotland along the lines of Finland or Norway, neutral and just peacefully doing its own thing, with no nuclear weapons, fishing its own seas and tending its sheep.

But that couldn't happen, I don't think. In the event of a conflict like the one I so scientifically outlined above, we would be right in the firing line, with nowhere to hide.

But then we are anyway, as part of the UK.

Solopower1 Thu 18-Oct-12 20:56:26

There's a huge shake-up going on anyway in all the Armed Forces. I wonder what form it is taking. Anyone who knows that will know what's projected to happen between the two countries in the unlikely event of Scottish Independence, I should imagine. If they start taking troops/air bases out of Scotland, for example. Which they are already doing.

There is a general scaling-down (which has to be a good sign - ie that no-one thinks any big conflict is imminent - although I am very sorry for the people who have lost their jobs). And the TAs are going to be Reserves, I think.

Saltire Thu 18-Oct-12 20:46:37

The military question is one i have often thought about. DH is RAF. He's done 26 years of service to the UK.

Now if Scotland got indpendance I could see the Army being called the Scottish Army, after all they have all the scottish regiments ,..................................................oops silly me, they aren't regiments anymore are they, they are battalions the KOSB will always be that to me. But I do wonder how the Navy, RAF,RM would come off.

Solopower1 Thu 18-Oct-12 20:38:23

But the lads and lasses in the Armed Forces are the ones who would have to bear the brunt if it all went pear-shaped.

Not that it will, of course. In Alex Salmond-land we're all going to start loving each other and teaching the world to sing.

Once we're independent.

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Thu 18-Oct-12 20:27:05

mmm. kind of a stoopid reason to ditch independence i think. it's always been possible to have family in opposing armies, in fact angry brothers in royal families are very often the starting place for wars...

Solopower1 Thu 18-Oct-12 20:21:20

Well,they are contracted to the British Army, so maybe they would have to stay until the end of their contracts. So maybe a SDF would be started up in Scotland from scratch.

So could we have the situation of a brother in the RoUK force and his sister in the SDF?? It just gets better ..

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Thu 18-Oct-12 20:13:35

i guess they would have the option of remaining in the RoUK army? they're free agents, aren't they?

Solopower1 Thu 18-Oct-12 20:10:46

... the other side to the British Army, I meant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now