Felix Baumgartner

(43 Posts)
McHappyPants2012 Sun 14-Oct-12 22:35:29

just seen this on the news OMG he must have balls of steal

I was thinking this Spat, but he was 23 miles up, and you must go through some massively windy bits <technical term> up that high, jet-streams and wot-not, so even if his trajectory was 1 degree off surely he could've ended up in Mongolia or the middle of the Pacific or somewhere...

LeeCoakley Mon 15-Oct-12 17:17:47

It was great that a historic event like this was filmed from start to finish. I felt like I was a real part of it!

garlicbutty Mon 15-Oct-12 18:12:02

He landed 23 miles from where he took off. There was a beacon in his suit for the recovery helicopter to follow.

I think it was the landing that got me most! Fall 24 miles and land on your feet!!!!!

Props to Red Bull. It's cost millions - I hope they sell loads of their disgusting drink on the back of this astounding feat smile

monsterchild Mon 15-Oct-12 20:38:19

This time of year the jet stream isn't that far south here. The winds aloft change a lot, but he had some control once he stopped the spinning (vomit madness!) and he could direct the 'chute too.

It was totally cool! and happened so fast, really!

WarmFuzzyFun Mon 15-Oct-12 20:43:17

WarmFuzzy lowers the tone...imagine the sex you'd have after that eh?

CookieRookie Mon 15-Oct-12 20:48:40

Amazing! Has the helmet-cam footage been released yet?

LeeCoakley Mon 15-Oct-12 20:50:36

Yes but it's not that good. The bit I saw anyway. It was short and a bit fuzzy, you didn't get a sense of awe

Lukethe3 Mon 15-Oct-12 21:13:04

I missed it, where can I watch it?

MrsReiver Mon 15-Oct-12 21:54:57

Footage from the camera on his chest is fantastic - makes me feel queasy watching it, especially when he goes into the spin.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/videos/felix-baumgartners-jump-video/

It starts about 25 seconds in, and just when you think it's all over - it gets even worse. Absolutely terrifying, and an absolute credit to his skill as a freefaller that he was able to get out of the spin at all.

They filmed the jump cameras fixed inside and outside the capsule, one on his chest and a incredible zoom lens in the New Mexico desert which caught the infra red footage when he was just a little grey blur tumbling through the sky.

MrsReiver Mon 15-Oct-12 21:55:47
MeFour Mon 15-Oct-12 21:57:30

The landing didn't surprise. Once he got to that point he was on familiar territory. He's a very experienced sky diver.
I was just worried he wasn't going to be alive by that point.
I love that kittinger was a major part of the team. It takes something to help someone else break your record.
Just wondering where FB goes from here

LeeCoakley Mon 15-Oct-12 22:07:14

Oh crikey, yes that's good

MrsReiver Mon 15-Oct-12 22:25:45

They filmed the jump WITH cameras, obviously. Damn my fat fingers.

garlicbutty Mon 15-Oct-12 22:38:15

MeFour - What next for Baumgartner?

"I'm retired from the daredevil business," he said afterwards. "I want to find a nice decent job as a helicopter pilot. I'll fight fires and rescue people. No e-mails, no phone calls."

Bless smile

www.guardian.co.uk/sport/shortcuts/2012/oct/15/felix-baumgartner-skydive-key-questions-answered

MeFour Mon 15-Oct-12 22:41:29

Thanks garlic
I'm sure his girlfriend was pleased to hear that
I would put money on him getting bored though, we'll I would if I had any

ThatVikRinA22 Mon 15-Oct-12 23:11:16

there is some amazing footage - i cant quite believe he did it! amazing.

NapOfTheDamned Tue 16-Oct-12 01:19:26

The medical officer on the jump is the husband of one of the astronauts lost in the shuttle disaster - he's using the data to work out the feasability of a high altitude bail out from a stricken spacecraft. The data from the jump's being shared with NASA and interested parties to improve the surivival chances of an incident involving a space craft.

From Guardian comments.

So, even better and WELL DONE FELIX.

ThatVikRinA22 Tue 16-Oct-12 22:51:21

really? i have to now apologise to my son for laughing when he told me that....blush

i do wonder thought what those speeds do to a human body and brain....id be amazed if there were no ill effects somewhere down the line though i hope there wont be, the whole thing was amazing and beyond my imagination.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now