Liquid nitrogen cocktail warning

(16 Posts)
meditrina Wed 31-Oct-12 12:36:53

Just thought I'd give this a little Hallowe'en bump, in case anyone (ort heir teen DC) missed the story first time round. Take care with spooky cocktails!

halloweeneyqueeney Mon 15-Oct-12 16:31:22

We knew what was causing it, but assumed that by the time it was placed on front of us with a straw plonked in it it wasn't as dangerous as it was where it was stored.

why would you NOT think you can drink your drink?

socharlotte Mon 15-Oct-12 14:02:36

I wonder what you thought was creating the misty effect ? Just out of curiosity

halloweeneyqueeney Mon 15-Oct-12 12:50:15

I have a science degree, and have consumed it when out with uni friends (who actually work in science unlike me) because I guess we don't expect to be served ingredients that aren't fit for human consumption!

SamSmalaidh Mon 15-Oct-12 12:44:37

I, with half a brain, didn't really know what liquid nitrogen was and had no idea of it's boiling point until this story, and if a barman serves me a cocktail I assume it is for drinking.

socharlotte Mon 15-Oct-12 12:37:37

Who, with half a brain, would consume liquid nitrogen -200C boiling point!!

meditrina Mon 08-Oct-12 17:45:51
halloweeneyqueeney Mon 08-Oct-12 15:56:34

I've had fancy cocktails with liquid nitrogen smoke before and noone ever told me to wait until all the smoke had gone before drinking! not in busy bars either, in quiet fancy places where you get lots of attention from servers/bar men

SamSmalaidh Mon 08-Oct-12 15:53:45

Horrendous story, that poor girl - of course she would assume that any drink sold to her was safe!

I can understand using liquid nitrogen to freeze things but actually putting in a drink is madness - so dangerous.

Apparently putting it in a drink makes it smoke as the nitrogen boils away. You are supposed to wait til all the smoke has gone before drinking as otherwise it boils and expands in your stomach causing it to burst. But fgs! In a dark, crowded, noisy bar that bit of very important safety advice could easily get misheard.

I would have no idea that drinking a smoking drink could be so dangerous.

Tuttutitlookslikerain Mon 08-Oct-12 15:32:23

DS1 said it is used to make cocktails like a Slushpuppy!

I am really shocked, that as it is so dangerous, that it is legal to be used in this way!

meditrina Mon 08-Oct-12 15:29:47

I though HB used it to achieve really quick freezing, rather than it being any part of what was meant to be eaten. Or does he use it to give the smoking effect too?

I've no idea what one of these cocktails is like - is the liquid nitrogen meant to be on the outside somewhere to give the smoke effect? It's not yet clear what happened, and if some got into the drink itself by mistake.

shrimponastick Mon 08-Oct-12 15:29:25

Blimey. That sounds dreadful. Poor girl.

Hopefully this will stop bars and people using it.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 08-Oct-12 15:25:23

It was a cocktail with liquid nitrogen added rather than just liquid nitrogen. Heston blumenthal uses it in some of his dishes doesn't he?

Poor girl, she'll be affected by this for ever now. You'd assume if a bar was selling it that it was safe.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 08-Oct-12 15:22:49

I heard this on the radio and thought WTF? Why would anyone drink liquid nitrogen tis insane!

I wondered whether to start a thread on this, I was horrified reading the report. The poor girl, what an 18th birthday.

Can you imagine what the bar staff must feel like, presuming that this was human error rather than anything malicious?

meditrina Mon 08-Oct-12 15:17:53

BBC article about a teenager who needed her stomach removed after ingesting liquid nitrogen in a cocktail.

I had no idea that it was used in this way - to give the cocktail a wow factor appearance. No word yet on how it went so horribly wrong. But it sounds like a drink to swerve, and one to tell your older DCs to swerve too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now