Freddie Starr

(14 Posts)
CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 09-Oct-12 13:51:16

It is different now. Not massively better, obviously, as the comments about female whistle-blowers demonstrate, but better than it was. People watch Life on Mars and think Gene Hunt is just some surreal cartoon character. Those people never lived through the 70's and 80's. If you lift the lid on what went on in those times and look at it through the prism of modern standards it was well and truly horrible for women & girls in a lot of respects. Not just when it came to celebrities but in the workplace, the home and everywhere else. Casual sexism was part of the territory. Complaining wasn't taken seriously. We weren't passive little doormats but the onus was certainly on women to look out for ourselves, not on others to do the looking out for us. The laws were there but, as we found with the schoolgirl/maths teacher case recently, attitudes often lag behind.

Frizzbonce Tue 09-Oct-12 11:35:28

Freddie Starr denied every meeting Karin Ward, the lady who said he 'humiliated her and groped her'. In his live show he branded her a 'liar' and boasted that his brief was going to 'tear her to pieces'. Nice man.

Anyway a film has been found proving that this lady, then a fourteen year old girl was with him in the dressing room and he has been forced to retract his statement although he is still denying he groped her.

And people are actually wondering why the victims didn't come forward earlier? Is it any different now? Apparently Colleen Nolan is being trolled for speaking out, there are 'How could anyone want to grope Sandi Toksvig' comments and Karin Ward is being called a 'nutter' and a 'liar'.

ginmakesitallok Thu 04-Oct-12 19:00:15

allegedly

ginmakesitallok Thu 04-Oct-12 19:00:01

Freddie Star is a misogynistic, racist twat

lovechoc Thu 04-Oct-12 18:55:56

I've never seen the appeal to him either...maybe now I know why!

Oh FFS.....are there any decent honourable men left ?

Wouldn't surprise me...never liked him. <shudder>

cornsconkers Thu 04-Oct-12 18:38:33

Oh God was the 3rd man him? shock

lovechoc Thu 04-Oct-12 18:36:47

Before I even opened the thread I knew it was going to be along allegations of this nature....

exactly what I was thinking amothersplaceisinthewrong sad

Pancakeflipper Thu 04-Oct-12 18:18:09

Blimey. Not just hamsters then.

Sunnywithachanceofshowers Thu 04-Oct-12 18:16:15

Oh hell. So awful.

amothersplaceisinthewrong Thu 04-Oct-12 17:48:18

How many more are going to come out of the woodwork

OldLadyKnowsNothing Thu 04-Oct-12 17:44:38

Allegations of having sex with/raping underagers, along with Jimmy Savile and Gary Glitter.

HappyAsEyeAm Thu 04-Oct-12 17:43:23

I see that ITV has had an injunction that Freddie Starr had obtained against them overturned. Any idea what its all about?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now