ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

do "we" have the right to say what benefit claimants spend the money on?

(329 Posts)
DizzyHoneyBee Tue 02-Oct-12 21:01:59

In the news today, a think tank suggests that many would support restrictions on what benefit claimants can spend the money on.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19792066

What do you think?

maillotjaune Wed 03-Oct-12 09:24:43

People who want to will find a way round vouchers, so it will end up penalising the people (vast majority) who already make the "right" choices bug might sometimes choose to spend small sums on a lottery ticket / drink etc.

When asylum seekers were paid in vouchers for supermarkets, I took part in a scheme (church run) to buy these vouchers in return for cash. This meant that people could get to local shops that sold ethnic food more cheaply, as opposed to walk 2 miles to Sainsbury because they had no cash for the bus. And as you pay loads more in cash fare than oyster card the whole system was grossly unfair.

Even a card system could be treated like this - you buy me these items from Tesco that are allowed, and I'll give you cash. Some people might use that to fund their drink/drugs/gambling, but more would do it because there are other essentials not covered by the rules. Pointless waste of money setting the whole thing up. angry

Paintyourbox Wed 03-Oct-12 09:25:28

Eats I totally agree with you! We regularly had mums trying to exchange milk vouchers for makeup and abusing us when we said no.

I know I am talking about the extreme here but I do think we need a way of protecting the most vulnerable members of society. We are talking about people who can't read or write! What difference is a card telling them what they can or can't spend on going to make?

Will crime rates rise if people don't readily have access to money to buy what they want? It's one thing to say limit benefit spending to food but many of the people I worked with already had criminal records for shoplifting etc to find their drug addiction.

maillotjaune Wed 03-Oct-12 09:25:43

Cross post with Eats!

Inneedofbrandy Wed 03-Oct-12 09:26:05

Yy to the poster who said the mothers who do spend it all on going out and getting their nails done would find a way round it. It would most definatly be family's who would use it properly would be the ones to be hurt off it.

This is a terrible idea, it makes me sick that the govs war on benefits has made attitude like I've seen on the thread. Why don't all of you who think being on benefits equals getting smart phones and manicures go and live on these benefits!

MrsBucketxx Wed 03-Oct-12 09:37:05

what makes me think is why want to be on benefits, i would be doing all in my power to retrain start my own business, that doesn't mean having a loan either selling Avon a stall anything.

Because some of us don't have a option but hey ho I'm deemed worthy poor well till consertives got in and changed it

Want to argue UC do you know that if your a carer but also disabled your be told sorry you can only be one or the other

Now you want to tell me how to spend it to .

I buy Fron a market stalk most my fruit and vedge cheaper than supermarkets what happens then .
What happens to corner shops or to the small local butcher as people can't buy from him anymore . So he be along with rest of us queuing up with his vouchers in hand

Leithlurker Wed 03-Oct-12 09:43:23

As I said you have no clue Mrs Buckets. Do you really think it is as simple as people getting up one morning and saying right I will sell avon, or go through the massive paper chase of asking for help to set up their own business?

Some people may be able and well enough equiped as humans to do that, they though like the scrounging minority the right wish to see everywhere will be a very small number.

Lol Avon sorry but don't think they take vouchers either

Think how many small independent shops and traders the voucher scheme would put out of business

Also maybe the person set up own business on eBay what about them when people don't buy Fron them .

GolfOscarLimaDelta Wed 03-Oct-12 09:45:54

Oh this is just ridiculous.

What next? Calling all council housing 'Tax-Payer Funded housing..?'

Oh, wait, they have already suggested that.......

I can't help feeling that this is all just part of the hate campaign designed to make it easier to cut more from those who need it the most.

IneedAsockamnesty Wed 03-Oct-12 09:47:50

openly wonders if some people are really as stupid as they sound when spouting uneducated bile.

GolfOscarLimaDelta Wed 03-Oct-12 09:48:29

Would charity shops accept these vouchers I wonder? I buy most of our clothes and household stuff from them. And carboots.

But if I was forced to shop exclusively in big name supermarkets? It would be much harder to stretch it out.

Whether this has come from the tories or not, these headlines and dehumanising ideas all serve the same purpose.

They take anger and blame away from the government, whose plan hasnt worked, and turn it on the most vulnerable in society.

Leithlurker Wed 03-Oct-12 09:55:34

I just want to be clear on one thing. For me the people who are most trapped and find themselves unable to go out and start selling avon, or open a stall selling coffee, are not the poor they are the middle class who have been silly with their money. Took on massive debts called mortgages on the understanding that life will never change and things will remain sweetness and light for ever more. They then cannot find enough paid employment to cover all their needs and so sit on benefits because it is better than being homeless or in bed and breakfast. So yea the middle classes, the lemmings of the human world.

Viviennemary Wed 03-Oct-12 09:56:05

This would never work. The majority of people are good parents and spend their money whether it be benefits or salary in a reasonable and responsible way to look after their family. If there was some sort of voucher system then some people would just abuse this and sell the vouchers on some sort of illegal market.

Whitecherry Wed 03-Oct-12 09:56:16

Avon? Who buys that these days? You wouldn't make enough to live off. Daft comment!

MrsBucketxx Wed 03-Oct-12 09:57:27

I'm sure I'm not the only one who see's people wasting money that is esentially borrowed (government borrowing) going on stuff that doesn't need to be spent on.

it pains me that there are some out there (some of my own family) on benefits who have a big chunk.of disposable income. which they waste on bingo drinking and smoking, if only i had that option.

Whitecherry Wed 03-Oct-12 09:58:19

All benefit claimants are eligible for budgeting loans..... Up to £1500 interest free ( depends on circs in how much you are offered)

So they can use that to fill the wine cellar!!

MrsBucketxx Wed 03-Oct-12 09:58:45

there are lots of start up businesses you could do thats the point i was making.

thedogsrolex Wed 03-Oct-12 09:59:05

Encourage healthy eating?

Market fruit shop v Asda for example:
Five apples £1 / £2
Box raspberries 50p / £2
Box strawberries 50p / £2

Well, you get the idea. I can get a huge bag of fruit and veg far fresher than supermarket stuff for about £6 from the market. That wouldn't be possible with a card or vouchers.

Whitecherry Wed 03-Oct-12 09:59:18

Do you claim child benefit, mrsBucket ? tax credits?

expatinscotland Wed 03-Oct-12 09:59:22

'I'm sure I'm not the only one who see's people wasting money that is esentially borrowed (government borrowing) going on stuff that doesn't need to be spent on. '

No, you're not. I see this government taking on more and more debt and wasting it on wars we don't need or want, foreign aid being paid to corrupt governments, allowing too many at the top to go without paying tax, all kinds of waste that cost billions.

thedogsrolex Wed 03-Oct-12 10:00:06

sorry, dont know why that came up as a link!

Whitecherry Wed 03-Oct-12 10:00:19

Start up businesses? How do you live in the meantime then?

Where dies the 'start up' money come from?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now