5 yr old girl "snatched" in Wales

(535 Posts)
mumblechum1 Tue 02-Oct-12 04:38:29

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-19795761

Let's all keep our eyes peeled sad

Tuttutitlookslikerain Tue 02-Oct-12 20:41:06

'Wales is usually a lot colder and darker than it is here'

Not true at all. The sun sets later the further west you go, so West Wales would not have been dark last night at 7pm.

Lizzylou Tue 02-Oct-12 20:42:20

Fishwife, I completely agree with Usualsuspect's very succinct opinion on you and your mates.

As has been said a few times, I'll shout though for the hard of thinking

IT WAS NOT DARK AT 7PM, NOT YESTERDAY AND NOT TODAY WHEN THE NEWS CHANNELS WERE REPORTING

Some sixth sense you've got there Lovechoc. 5pm yesterday??? hmm

Does it really honestly matter right now whether April should/shouldn't have been out at that time, all that matters is that that little girl gets back home to her family. All my hopes and best wishes are sent to this family and April to be found safe.

CheerfulYank Tue 02-Oct-12 20:45:59

I don't get this "should be in bed" thing either honestly...maybe it's just an American thing but I know one parent whose kids go to bed at 7:00, and I only know because every one else talks about it like it's bizarre.

Poor little girl...hope she is found soon. She must be terrified.

whistlestopcafe Tue 02-Oct-12 20:49:10

It was dark here at 7 pm yesterday but that is not really relevant. According to reports her parents were at a parents evening with her older brother and April was playing with her next door neighbours little girl right outside their houses.

Perhaps she was playing outside because her parents only planned to be gone a short while and had asked the neighbour to keep an eye on her.

SeaShellsMyDogTrulySmells Tue 02-Oct-12 20:55:22

FFs the reports are saying the man they have arrested was known to the family and she got into the van willingly. If this is the case, she would have been as much at risk in her home as playing outside of it.

When will people realise the boogy man stranger hiding in the shadows is v v rare - it is their caretaker/teacher/priest/family member/trusted friend that could be a risk. Bitching about parenting right now, whilst she is still missing is just so ill judged.

NimpyWindowMash Tue 02-Oct-12 20:57:56

Those complaining about the parents... FFS
Do not judge them. Judge the person who has taken her.

Well i wish my DS went to bed at 7pm .. unfortunately he's always wide awake at that time and so are many other kids well at least they don't look like they're in bed on bonfire night and halloween when fireworks kick off at 8 i don't see loads of parents leaving at 6 30 to make sure they get their kids into bed by 7..

Fwiw Ds1's GP's live in a similar area and all the kids just mill about in little groups or even on their own, its not like inner city or suburbia, the kids have so much more freedom, its great. Until something like this happens.

Some rotten things been said on here really. Hate to point out that most abusers are members or friends of a family, able to get close enough to groom a child.

I hope she is found safe. The people out there searching for her shows real community spirit i hope they get rewarded by finding her alive xx

hellymelly Tue 02-Oct-12 21:08:57

How dark it is depends on where you live. West Wales is dark later than London for instance. I would have thought it was dusk where she was last night, not pitch black night.

ohanotherone Tue 02-Oct-12 21:26:13

It is not really dark here in wales at that time. It is usual for kids to play on quiet estates outsides their homes because everyone knows each other. It seems as if this white man, if he is involved, was a local person or lived locally too. I hope that she is found safe and well. Poor little thing.

It was dusk it said in the paper and on the news about the colour of the van being grey but hard to discern 100% as it was dusk and hard to see.

topknob Tue 02-Oct-12 21:28:38

The girl is missing, they have arrested a man, yet the girl has not been found. Now a 12 mile stretch of road has been closed, pretty fucking obvious what has happened, show some compassion ffs !!!!!!

Houseworkprocrastinator Tue 02-Oct-12 21:37:08

I really hope they find her safe.

I think the parents are going through enough without having their parenting dissected and talked about by people who don't know them or all the facts.
I have a five year old girl and i let her play out in the street have done since she was 4. I think it depends on the area you live and how sensible the child is.

I also live in wales and it was not dark last night at that time.

I think we all just need to hope and pray that she is safe and found soon. The alternative is too awful to contemplate.

My heart goes out to her and to her parents.

caramelwaffle Tue 02-Oct-12 22:04:34

Local man has been arrested.

Hopefully she will be found safe and well soon!

avenueone Tue 02-Oct-12 22:24:14

If I was that child's parent and I knew they were holding someone I just don't know how I would stop myself from heading to that police station. (I know I wouldn't be able to but YUWIM).

Well i just informed DP that if we lived in an area like that i would be happy to let DS2 out at the age of 5 to play. (From looking at the map)

I can't see anything else on the news except what was said 4 hours ago.

We need an amber alert system in this country.

Hope April is found safe and well. Thinking of her parents and family. Heartbreaking to read about it sad

I'm sooo hoping this little girl is found safe and well.

I can only imagine what her parents are going through sad

Tiredmumno1 Tue 02-Oct-12 23:47:10

Fishwife afaik it wasn't the police that named him, it was the locals.

Also it's been reported that they were at a parents evening and had just got back, her mum let April play out for ten minutes whilst she fixed tea.

I think the parents will be feeling bad enough as it is, without having people judging why she was out, I will repeat what other people are saying, the ONLY person to blame here, is whoever took her.

adeucalione Tue 02-Oct-12 23:57:36

The Telegraph are reporting that one of the children April had been playing with was Bridger's daughter, that he had three ex-wives and six children living nearby, and that he was known to April's parents - if true it is unsurprising that she got ino the van willingly.

The fact that his name was given to Police by April's parents when they first contacted them suggests either that he was recognised by one of the children or had a dodgy reputation I suppose.

It seems that police are still searching the river near to where his van was found, really really wishing for a happy ending.

geologygirl Wed 03-Oct-12 00:40:46

Really doesnt matter if it was dark or not - a child can be taken at any time these days. We all have our own rules at home about what time kids should be in, but I just hope they find her and she's OK. She must be so frightened. Poor thing.

Not4turning Wed 03-Oct-12 00:52:11

It's easy to put blame somewhere. The person in the wrong here is the person who took April.

I don't live in such a small community but if I were coming home at dusk in a tiny community such as theirs, I might have said to my 5 year old, 'go on then, just a few minutes and then bed'.

We go camping and allow our children freedom like they have never known.

James Bulgers mum was in the butchers at lunchtime. She didn't know that it was a life changing moment.

I really hope that April is found still alive. I doubt it. This is cringeworthy. Something her parents will have to live with as long as they are alive. It will destroy their family and for what, because some sicko who probably has previous convictions was allowed out into our world, ready to do worse than they'd done before for a thrill!

RubixCube Wed 03-Oct-12 09:33:44

The police have now said to leave searching to them.Doesn't sound good sad

sad I hope she is found safe, but it is looking more bleak.
To also those that want to finger point, the parents will be suffering enoughsad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now