etc

and a lot of sad faces

(to save everyone the trouble)

Whitecherry Mon 01-Oct-12 16:43:24

Very sad indeed

more babies killed by their father - so tragic and sad

talkintome Mon 01-Oct-12 18:14:58

Bless those poor children.

HipHopOpotomus Only 3 posts in to make this a gender issue?

Killings of children by a natural parent are committed in roughly equal proportions by mothers and fathers.

Sad that you first thought is to make it a gender issue.

Alameda Mon 01-Oct-12 18:17:16

is family annihilation not a gender issue suddenly?

Whitecherry Mon 01-Oct-12 18:17:54

talkin I thought that too

My thoughts are with family and friends.... And the poor member if the public who discovered this.

margerykemp Mon 01-Oct-12 18:18:35

talkin- female and male killers of children have very different profiles and motives

women are usually victims in some sense too

why are you so quick to defend male murderers?

talkintome Mon 01-Oct-12 18:20:42

I think it is an innocent children being killed by a parent issue.

HipHopOpotomus's post implies that it is inherently a paternal issue.

Whitecherry Mon 01-Oct-12 18:24:45

There have been a lot of mothers in the news this year for being 'family annihilators'

To me, the circs don't make any difference. You can't justify it

Poor children

FriggFRIGG Mon 01-Oct-12 18:24:59

Oh,that's here....just down the road.
Unbelievably sad.
I'm lost for words,those poor,poor children.sad

talkintome Mon 01-Oct-12 18:27:26

Margerykemp I am in no way defending any murderer of any gender, can you point to where I have done so?

As for the rest of your post, you are falling back on stereotypes with no hard evidence.

Alameda Mon 01-Oct-12 18:33:48

there is plenty of evidence for the massive disparity between the number of men who kill and the number of women - except perhaps when it comes to their own children where there are almost as many female perpetrators as male, but is that inflated by cases of puerperal psychosis or does it include actual murder?

OliviaPeaceAndLoveMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 01-Oct-12 18:39:19

Good evening all
Can we please keep the debate nice and civil thanks

talkintome Mon 01-Oct-12 18:44:04

Alameda To my knowledge there hasn't been enough research to say for certain. I don't think the media help, often insinuating that Fathers that kill their own children are just evil and selfish whereas Mothers are mentally ill.

As a Father with a daughter of similar age I was upset to read of this tragic news.

I was also sad to see it being implied that this is a 'Father' problem.

FriggFRIGG Mon 01-Oct-12 18:50:31

I keep looking at that mans face.
I know that face.
I can't put my finger on it...I just keep hoping I don't.

Alameda Mon 01-Oct-12 18:50:57

well the violent taking of human life is predominantly a male problem, both as victim and perpetrator

but I agree it's not helpful to dismiss women who kill as mentally unwell rather than looking at things a bit more fully if coldly

Whitecherry Mon 01-Oct-12 18:51:34

Was he local frigg?

Alameda Mon 01-Oct-12 18:52:11

sorry Olivia

come and play verbi irregolari with me?

FriggFRIGG Mon 01-Oct-12 18:54:00

No.
He wasn't.

FairPhyllis Mon 01-Oct-12 19:09:06

The Telegraph is reporting that he was a survivor of the IRA nail bomb that killed Household Cavalry soldiers and horses in Hyde Park. He was riding Sefton, the horse that became the symbol of the attack. That may be why you recognise him.

akaemmafrost Mon 01-Oct-12 20:36:23

Another selfish fucker taking their kids with them. Male or female makes no difference. sad

avenueone Mon 01-Oct-12 20:37:53

To put a knife into your own children. .....I can't find the words. The news are also reporting that the family were known to social services.
Those poor children, my heart just breaks for them and the rest of the family and their friends.
Is it happening more or do we just hear more about it with 24 hour news and social media?

Whitecherry Mon 01-Oct-12 20:44:31

Not sure, but I've heard a lot of mothers doing similar this year. The last one also stabbed her child.

mayorquimby Mon 01-Oct-12 21:58:57

"women are usually victims in some sense too

why are you so quick to defend male murderers? "

without a hint of irony

Polyethyl Mon 01-Oct-12 22:04:50

Back in 1982 he saw his friends killed around him. He too was injured in the nail bombing. He saw 7 horses killed, torn apart by shrapnel. His own horse Sefton's survival was a miracle.

One can only imagine what that experience does to your mental health in the long term.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now