Badger Cull

(70 Posts)
RedMolly Tue 18-Sep-12 15:32:05

Just wanted to mention that there is a new petition to try and stop the pilot badger culls:

epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/38257

More info at www.badger.org.uk and www.defra.gov.uk/animal-diseases/a-z/bovine-tb/

Please sign if you think the cull should be stopped. Obviously if you think it should go ahead you won't be signing!

Thanks

Nuttyfilly Wed 31-Oct-12 11:12:59

Oohlaalaa firstly hello fellow dairy farmer, we are lucky that we are tb free at the moment but I have seen the deverstation tb has caused, I no a farmer who has killed himself because he lost everything. And I agree something needs to be done!

RedMolly Tue 30-Oct-12 11:06:09

Did anyone say they were cuddly?

oohlaalaa Mon 29-Oct-12 21:11:47

My husband has lost over a third of his dairy herd to badgers. Having seen a badger close up, in one of cattle buildings, they are viscous and far from cuddly. DH has 12 badger sets on his farm. The countryside is overrun with badgers. Not seen a hedgehog for years.

I am pro cull.

RedMolly Fri 26-Oct-12 09:33:32

Well. We got the debate. The vote was overwhelming! Just a shame it is not legally binding, but let's hope it is the beginning of the end of the road for the cull, and everyone can unite behind developing a workable vaccination programme.

Viviennemary Tue 23-Oct-12 13:58:21

I also heard on the news that the cull has been postponed for a year. And then somebody came on and said that didn't mean it wouldn't happen. But I expect it won't happen in a year's time. I don't agree with culling.

RedMolly Tue 23-Oct-12 11:18:37

It was on R4 news. There was an Archers storyline a few years ago when David Archer was prosecuted for dispatching and dumping a badger - so hard to prove who was responsible in rl unfortunately.

Good, good, but where did you hear that? I thought announcement not till 12.30.

Fear farmers will privately kill anyway- have heard 90% of 'roadkill' badgers killed and later dumped.

RedMolly Tue 23-Oct-12 10:03:53

Just heard that the cull has been postponed for a year!

Franniefanakapan Tue 16-Oct-12 20:54:14

The petition has helped and it has assisted in getting a debate in Parliament today. smile

Ponyofdoom Tue 25-Sep-12 18:27:43

http://www.defra.gov.uk/news/2010/09/15/control-bovine-tb/

I think this sums it up well, I agree with the cull and also think there are too many badgers.

RedMolly Tue 25-Sep-12 10:35:00

Great stuff. There is a template letter on the Wildlife Trusts site if that helps anyone:

www.wildlifetrusts.org/badgers-and-bovineTB

Jellykat Mon 24-Sep-12 21:41:38

Good thinking Jammy
During our campaign in Pembs, we had an AM called Peter Black (Lib Dem) at the Welsh Assembly on our side. He attended quite a few of our meetings and verbally pummelled the Agricultural Minister at every opportunity, it really made a hell of a difference.

Great! Might get letter writing to my MP too, I think she would be the sort to ask awkward (but in this case common sense) questions in the commons.

Jellykat Mon 24-Sep-12 17:55:30

100,777 reached smile

Ony another 2500ish signatures needed, that's gone so quickly!

Jellykat Sun 23-Sep-12 19:58:36

Wow thats good RedMolly, and all in about 1 week...

At least if the debate is booked for a ridiculous time in the house (i.e when most MPs aren't there) it does really show how many people are opposed.

edam Sun 23-Sep-12 17:15:10

signed.

It's a bit rich of human beings to try to blame badgers for the decline in hedgehogs and other species. It's our fault. The decline in hedgehog numbers is (no-one's sure of the exact reason) probably down to factors such as the environment - farming practices and in urban/suburban areas, less shelter and the popularity of decking, so they can't cross from area to area as they used to.

RedMolly Sun 23-Sep-12 17:10:52

The petition is now over 91000. Not many more needed to generate a debate in parliament. Come on folks!

Jellykat Thu 20-Sep-12 20:50:22

Abitwobblynow As Beamur correctly said there are many many reasons why species are struggling - intensive farming and loss of habitat in countryside, increasing use of pesticides and climate change. The later is affecting our seasons which in turn is affecting many food sources and hibernation patterns.
If Badgers are so supposedly riddled with TB in vast numbers, surely a helluva lot will be dying from the disease, no? If that is the case no need to worry about excessive overpopulation then...

Have also just read on DEFRAs website there is a drop of TB reactors in cattle in the last 6 months in comparison to last year.

LadyBeagleEyes Thu 20-Sep-12 18:27:09

I'll sign too, though I don't think petitions ever help sad
But the cull is so utterly wrong, I've seen no evidence at all to let this go ahead.

peeriePistoriuslicker Thu 20-Sep-12 18:17:04

Signed. Will link on FB again too.

RedMolly Thu 20-Sep-12 18:10:02

There is no scientific concensus on the transmission routes of btb from badgers to cattle or from cattle to badgers for that matter. There are theories.

Regarding population size, even the DEFRA website states:

The relationship between bovine TB in badgers and in cattle is highly complex, and the rate of transmission between species is not in direct proportion to badger density.

For the record i live in the countryside, have done all my life, and am an ecologist by profession. I worked for a govt regulatory authority in this field and spent many years liaising between wildlife groups and farmers. Intensive farming practices have had a far more negative impact on the species you mention than badgers. I am not the save the cute furries brigade. Culling does not work, and the tax payer is expected to foot the bill.

lottiegarbanzo Thu 20-Sep-12 18:09:05

Abitwobblynow, please point me to a reputable conservation organisation that agrees with you about the need for a cull of badgers to protect other wildlife. (hint, they don't).

This is not why the cull is happening.

Beamur Thu 20-Sep-12 17:53:41

I don't know if there are excessive amounts of badgers or not, but they are (cull outwith) a protected species; but I'd suggest some of the declines you've mentioned - honeybees, skylarks, etc, are more to do with the changes and intensification of farming methods rather than by predation by badgers.
I do agree though, that we have to live in a way that balances our needs with those of wildlife too.

Abitwobblynow Thu 20-Sep-12 16:22:16

(Any volunteer who doesn't want them shot, but would rather implant with contraceptives, is fine by me. But any acknowledgement that there are too many of them and other wildlife needs protecting too, has to be the first honest step).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now