Police Officer killed during arrest

(262 Posts)
AGoldenOrange Tue 18-Sep-12 12:38:27
TribbleTuckandDismount Tue 18-Sep-12 16:09:35

NoBloodyMore Seriously?! Thats horrid, those poor officers and their families.

sad What an utterly disgusting person.

The officers & staff in the custody suite must all be sitting on their hands.

Giving all the other MN Job families massive unMN ((hugs)).

RIP PC Hughes & PC Bone. A candle will be lit for you both here tonight.

Ninjahobbit Tue 18-Sep-12 16:16:50

Ive just found out the news

RIP to those poor officers and what a horrid thing for the families to go through sad

NoBloodyMore Tue 18-Sep-12 16:17:23

Oscar his mum and sister live on the estate and they've raided several addresses on Hattersley the police seemed to think he'd only been there overnight, I suppose they must get loads of routine burglary reports and it just wouldnt be practical to send armed officers to them all. The people who've been hiding him should be utterly ashamed but I suspect they're scumbags from the same mould as him

I Know but the press Conference just tried to make out that GMP had no idea he was connected to the estate!

Whoever had been harbouring him are
Just as bad as him.

We just drive past the cordon on our way home. It's just so bloody awful. Those officers deserved to go home tonight.

BlackberryIce Tue 18-Sep-12 16:26:35

How awful!

I left the force years ago, my dad says it was one of the happiest days of his life. Ge hated me in that job, worry, worry, worry.

Just horrible, feel for their families.

susiedaisy Tue 18-Sep-12 16:29:15

What an fucking absolute bastard!! Feel so sad for the two officers and their families sad

NoBloodyMore Tue 18-Sep-12 16:29:16

We're near the police station, still bomb disposal experts all over his car, I really hope that's the end of all this gang war now but I doubt it.

Nbm please stay safe. Have they let the college pupils out yet?

Sadly I doubt this will be the end of gang warfare. The idiots in gangs respect shit like this and will carry on.

AGoldenOrange Tue 18-Sep-12 16:33:21

What an evil bastard. Let's just hope that there is a special place in hell waiting for him

NoBloodyMore Tue 18-Sep-12 16:36:33

As far as I know the cordon ends before the college and it was evacuated this aft, as was the day nursery facing it, the car is near the park entrance

bleedingheart Tue 18-Sep-12 16:49:20

Cowardly evil bastard! What is heroic about luring two unarmed officers to their deaths? He didn't 'best' them in a gunfight, he ambushed them.
I am so sorry for the families and colleagues of these brave young women and so sad for the law-abiding citizens living amongst these gangs.

You can't pay the police enough in my eyes, the bravery every day, never knowing what they face, unbelievable.

EldritchCleavage Tue 18-Sep-12 17:02:25

I do think it is important not to focus on him too much, even for the purposes of denigrating him. People like him do thrive on notoriety and condemnation. He's nothing really. I'd like to hear more instead about the officers who died-who they were. I remember thinking the same when Sharon Beshenivsky (spelling?) was killed.

I worry about my dh every time he goes to work, I never know if something will happen, if he will come home again.

My thoughts are with their families.

As for Cregan, he's lower than scum.

ColouringIn Tue 18-Sep-12 17:40:26

You know what? I have always been against the arming of police officers but I am leaning more and more the other way. Two women have died just because they happened to be doing their jobs, they were not armed and there is no indication they made any threats. This nasty scumbag faked a burglary call and then cold bloodedly murdered them both.
I can't stop thinking about their families tonight....and as for him.....I don't believe there is wide scale police brutality but let's hope he bangs his head once or twice in the next few days and weeks. Not nice of me but then he is not a nice person.....scumbag.

Horrific news.

vigglewiggle Tue 18-Sep-12 18:09:16

I don't agree with you on either count colouring - routine arming of police would not save the lives of officers in a planned ambush such as this. I also do not agree that meting out 'summary justice' will not serve anyone well and will only serve to reinforce the view in certain circles that this man is some sort of folk-hero.

SecretCermonials Tue 18-Sep-12 18:12:25

Im so so saddened to hear these poor women have been killed in the line of their duty, its unfair and the person who did this just highlights the scum that seems to dominate the headlines.
RIP to two brave officers, and thank you to all of you who are police officers or are in the services / forces. And also my thoughts are with your families it must be hard for them too.

I hope the "man" that did this is punished

ColouringIn Tue 18-Sep-12 18:16:12

It's an emotional response .....he is a scumbag and if he were to fall in front of a train tomorrow he'd do everyone a favour.

I am so pacifist and anti death penalty, anti guns etc but this has made me so angry today.

Maybe tomorrow I'll feel more rational....doubt the families of these two officers will though.

MOSagain Tue 18-Sep-12 18:22:14

So very sad reading the news today and my thoughts are with those officers and their familes sad

I was a police officer for 7 years before a bastard in a stolen car decided he would rather run me over than be nicked for the theft. I spent 10 weeks in hospital, my spine is now held together with metal pins and I had to leave the job I loved. Ironically, he got a longer sentence for the drugs he had on him at the time of his arrest than he did for running me over hmm

Be that as it may, I do not believe that all police officers should be armed. I think if I was still in the job and all officers were armed I would leave.

PanofOlympus Tue 18-Sep-12 18:23:16

Ihave no idea where you get your info from, Oscar, but the police have been keeping up a presence and search-parties all over Tameside, esp. Droylesden, and a bit of Beswick. I see them massing sometimes first thing in the morning at Mottram round-a-bout.

You will know how big Hattersley estate is, and the fact Creggan could be 'on the estate' means probably thousands of acres and tens of thousands of homes. I also have no idea why you are implying that GMP are being dishonest.

The back story briefly is that for about 10 years there has been a family/gang feud bewteen the Shorts and another family 'supported' by Creggan and others. Organised crime is the root of the dispute and why it suddenly flared up with multiple tragic consequences.

PanofOlympus Tue 18-Sep-12 18:24:47

Arming police? The police (at all grades) don't want it and have repeatedly said so.

AmberLeaf Tue 18-Sep-12 18:33:35

What a bastard. They didn't stand a chance. sad

SharonGless Tue 18-Sep-12 18:37:18

I personally would leave the job before I would carry a firearm. It isn't what I signed up to do.
I hope those who assisted him are also brought to justice.
Pan, spot on

I can't watch news with DC as I already have a child with anxieties _this would tip him over the edge.
Many colleagues are seriously considering their future in the police, especially as the terms and conditions have changed since we signed up

RIP tonight Fiona and Nicola-gone but never forgotten

PanofOlympus Tue 18-Sep-12 18:41:39

Sharon -I was also a PC years ago, and I would never have joined up if they were going to give me a gun. Giving PCs guns may well attract the wrong crowd into the police service.My small wooden baton, a big torch and a willingness to be reasonable with people were the best 'weapons' imho.

SharonGless Tue 18-Sep-12 18:44:48

Yup, totally with you there.
We police by consent, not force.
The police in USA are armed, has that improved the gun situation? Think not.

I have 18 years in and have seen some truly awful things including having a firearm pulled on me. I am one of the fortunate ones, I am home to ought with my family

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now