Police Officer killed during arrest

(262 Posts)
AGoldenOrange Tue 18-Sep-12 12:38:27
PanofOlympus Fri 21-Sep-12 22:55:23

Oscar knows about this stuff because she actually lives there. Sharon knows this stuff because she is a serving GMP officer. sm knows this stuff because she talks with friends/colleagues about the ramifications. I know this stuff because I was a GMP officer, live 2 miles away and had worked for 7 years on Hattersley and Mottram until last year, and have visited the site tonight.
We all know this stuff because we are also parents.

manic - for me, I have tried to ignore you, because you don't know this stuff. Clearly.

Manicmaria Fri 21-Sep-12 23:01:03

I think its best if I do not comment any further. It was not my intention to offend anyone. However, I remain resolute in what I have said.

PanofOlympus Fri 21-Sep-12 23:05:25

Well, you were offensive, but yes lets let it go.

Hopefully this thread will last for a few days yet, until the service and vigil have passed at least.

Thumbwitch Fri 21-Sep-12 23:15:59

Manic - I don't think that you can compare the two. There was only one Diana, and while she did a good job of what she did, she wasn't gunned down in active service.
These two policewomen aren't just people, they are representative of all serving police officers in the country (world, even) who were doing their job when they were shot. This affects many many more people, not just because of the loss of their lives but because of the "there but for the grace of God" feeling. Family members, friends, officers that are well known in the community - there are very few people in the country who wouldn't have some kind of attachment to a police officer, I would think.

I think it is perfectly reasonable for people to come and pay respects to them. And for their families to realise that people are truly shocked and saddened by what can happen to police officers doing their daily job. So no, it isn't mawkish in the same way that the whole Diana thing was.

scottishmummy France Fri 21-Sep-12 23:17:00

certain jobs never get the recognition they're due
predominately public sector
just think,imagine hearing seeing things most folks would think no fuckin way,boak and run from.then go do that,and try fit in school pick,do I have enough milk or pick up way home,did I submit that document,make headspace forcself, family but process what you have seen done. look no one in these jobs expects plaudits,but at dark times when it's dreadful an acknowledgment of distress...well that would be helpful

vigglewiggle Sat 22-Sep-12 05:46:22

Thank you SM and TW- just up for my early shift and as I head off to work it is important to know that people care about the deaths of my colleagues. I think it is also important for the local community that they demonstrate that the vast majority are caring and pro-police and did not support or assist this murdering b***tard. I'm sure I would want my children to take part in that process if it had happened in my neighbourhood. Blankets of flowers is just how we do it these days.

SharonGless Sat 22-Sep-12 06:59:51

Vw-stay safe

SharonGless Mon 24-Sep-12 17:10:56

Pan. Oscar
The vigil is tomorrow at 10.45 with minute silence at 10.58. Family, friends, colleagues and members of public welcome

PanofOlympus Mon 24-Sep-12 17:36:55

ah thanks Sharon - was up there yesterday lunch time with dd, and will be working tomorrow. Just been past on way home and the flowers have been covered with some plastic to keep the liquid sunshine off them.

SharonGless Mon 24-Sep-12 17:40:21

They have removed the cards to keep for the families so they didn't get soggy in the rain
I'm going tomorrow - we are doing a march back to the police station to bring them home as it were.

There's another vigil at 7, so I'm going to try and get to that one. I'm in University in the morning. I saw them covering the flowers yesterday.

vigglewiggle Wed 03-Oct-12 12:55:16

Should be asleep after a night shift, but I can't sleep and I feel like I should be there in spirit if not in body. Feeling so sad but also proud watching the tributes to this young woman.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now