peppa pig makes children naughty

(182 Posts)
medjool Mon 09-Jan-12 01:47:19

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2084021/Is-Peppa-Pig-making-toddlers-naughty-Parents-despair-children-copy-cartoon-answering-back.html

ToSh!

JjandtheBean Mon 09-Jan-12 12:28:49

Peppa is rude and extremely annoying but she is also my saviour for whenever I need peace to do anything, dd hasn't become naughty from watching it, she has picked up the odd thing but its our job to stop the peppa-isms

Pocksrule Mon 09-Jan-12 12:29:57

What a load of crap and hey it is the daily mail, quelle surprise

Some parents do seem overly precious. Or I'm overly lax I can't make up my mind.
A lot of fuss over a drawing of a pig!

EnjoyResponsibly Mon 09-Jan-12 12:33:12

Am still PMSLing at the comment unthread that Daddy Pig is the last person you'd want to sit next to on the train. Genius.

Pocksrule Mon 09-Jan-12 12:34:44

one day the DM might report on something that is actually, shock, newsworthy

Teaandcakeplease Mon 09-Jan-12 12:41:25

The Telegraph have gone down in my estimation by reporting it wink

wahwahwah Mon 09-Jan-12 12:47:16

Don't get me started on Horrid Bloomin Henry.

Mydelilah Mon 09-Jan-12 12:51:15

I definitely attribute overuse of yuk and constant blowing of raspberries in our house to Peppa and these things I could live without, but my 3.5 DD would not dream of jumping in puddles without her boots on thanks to this show! Overall I think there's a fairly good balance of realistic behaviour and the show demonstrating right and wrong. Much prefer this to nauseating things like Barney where the kids are freakishly well behaved and really irritating, at least pig has a sense of humour...

BabyGiraffes Mon 09-Jan-12 12:51:49

Not sure about Peppa Pig making toddlers naughty (aren't they all at times?)... hmm but I have banned it in our house mainly because I absolutely hate it but also because I am not keen on children calling their parents silly, messy and naughty (Thinking about it, I am not hugely keen on parents calling their children silly, messy and naughty either).

Thumbwitch Mon 09-Jan-12 12:57:21

I loathe Peppa Pig. DS has just started to like it at 4 (mostly cos he hasn't been able to see much of it thanks to parental loathing). But I sit and comment on George's appalling cry-baby behaviour, tantruming when he can't get his own way; and Peppa's bossiness and annoying behaviour. Daddy Pig is a figure of fun which isn't helpful in most cases, ditto Grandpa Pig. And as for them all throwing themselves onto their backs and shaking the floor with laughter, pah.

DS has taken to throwing himself to the floor to attempt a tantrum, but I will not allow him to do so. I'm sure if he was a different temperament, he would carry on regardless of what I think/want - but he's mostly pretty good about stopping.

However, he has started with the "I don't like you any more, you're not my best friend" rubbish to both me and DH now - could just be a coincidence, might not be.

There are a lot of children's programmes that are unhelpful in terms of demonstrations of poor behaviour though - a severe lack of manners in lots of them for starters. But then I am an old gimmer and think that childrens' programmes should set a good example - no doubt they'd be bored by that and refuse to watch them (a GOOD thing, probably!)

dinkystinky Mon 09-Jan-12 13:02:49

Peppa Pig is fine - its soddling Lola from Charlie and Lola I have an issue with - thanks to her DS1 took against tomatoes, peas, fishfingers etc. Thank god for Charlie - at least he was a good longsuffering big brother role model for DS1 to model himself on when DS2 came along...

StrandedBear Mon 09-Jan-12 13:11:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

myTHINyear Mon 09-Jan-12 13:13:51

I think Peppa is a bossy young lady who needs to be taken down a peg or two.

Georges speech is not the best and the main message seems to be, let's laugh at silly daddy the lumbering fool. Too sexist.

Gavi Mon 09-Jan-12 13:22:59

DS (6) has been watching Peppa for years now, the dentist episode was the only way I could get him to get on the dentist's couch and show his teeth! So I have a lot to thank peppa for. He loved blowing raspberries and jumping in puddles waaay before he encountered peppa. Surely Little Princess is much worse, she's a spoilt little brat and never bothers to get dressed!

SardineQueen Mon 09-Jan-12 13:23:35

Spoke to my parents about this earlier.
Apparently a big complaint is that they jump in muddy puddles.

They are pigs!!!!!!!

And

Children always want to jump in puddles, PP or no PP, it's what children like to do.

The whole thing is silly.

<gavel>

Mollydoggerson Mon 09-Jan-12 13:24:29

I might be flamed for this, and let me preface it by saying, I know they are a family of pigs, but I think it sends out the message it is ok to be overweight.

You know the episode where Daddy pig is supposed to be doing sit ups but instead is watching formula 1, it sends out this message it is normal to not want to exercise and to pretend to do it but not do it, and you have to be forced to do it. It is normal for all grown ups to be overweight. There are other episodes where they are all red faced and struggling to do any exercise.

Now as I say I know they are Pigs, lol, but I don't like that message. They all seem to like over eating and not making healthy choices. Pity, I'ld prefer if it was Peppa the lithe mountain goat or some such other fit and healthy animal, that loved running around having fun.

I love peppa. I think it's good that she can say when things are silly and disgusting and that she has her own opinions on things.
I don't see what's rude about her. Surely children need to know that it's ok to speak their mind and not just parrot their parents opinions.

SittingPrettyBabysitters Mon 09-Jan-12 13:28:51

My little girls LOVE it. But I must say that they do tend to try and jump in muddy puddles with their best shoes on. I still think it's a charming programme.

SittingPrettyBabysitters Mon 09-Jan-12 13:29:34

That's a good point!

SittingPrettyBabysitters Mon 09-Jan-12 13:31:41

Sorry new to this. that's a good point MudAndGlitter

Thank you!

DS copies things such as you're not my best friend anymore but I just tell him that's ok I'll be his best friend later.
I really don't see the harm in it. I think the fact that they're fat is irrelevant. They are pigs and also they do a lot of running, chasing and jumping so perhaps they're just big boned.

Lovefruitsandvegs Mon 09-Jan-12 13:38:58

There is an article in dailymail Is Peppa Pig making toddlers naughty? Parents despair as children copy cartoon by answering back.
My children watch Peppa Pig in the morning but it is not their favourite cartoon. I do not usually pay attention to what they say, however, once I did not like an episode about the thunder storm. I think daddy pig was telling the kids to get out and fetch the toys. Not very clever.

But Peppa Pig is nothing in contrast to Roald Dahl's creations. I have just read to my children Matilda and George's marvellous medicine. Both of them loved the stories and so I am but the word "twit" is still staying in my head as many other wordssmile

fluffypinkcurlygirl Mon 09-Jan-12 13:41:04

I dont get your point about not getting exercsise, they are always going for walks and daddy plays football with all the other daddies confused

pigletmania Mon 09-Jan-12 13:41:09

Wow Peppa is being blamed for children jumping in muddy puddles shock, and using the word yuck for vegetables. This has been going on way before Peppa Pig came on the scene. I like Peppa, she is well spoken and polite, and does the normal ribbing of Daddy pig and mummy that any normal child does. I remember doing it myself, its hardly being rude, rather funny really. My dd 4.6 has a speech and language delay, and Peppa and her friends have very good speech in which dd can model from unlike ITNG and Teletubbies, as well as us, but this is on the level she should be speaking at.

Sidge Mon 09-Jan-12 13:41:15

I don't mind Peppa Pig.

I think shows like that reflect children's behaviour rather than children copying what they see on the TV. IME all children fart, burp, laugh at farting and burping, cry when they don't get their own way, and say "you're not my best friend any more" (especially once they start school or preschool).

What matters is how you as a parent react and manage their behaviour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now