Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career ×

Breaking News : Do you agree with a woman succeeding the throne?

(90 Posts)
Manathome Fri 28-Oct-11 11:55:21

Commonwealth countries agree constitutional changes to remove gender discrimination in the order of succession to the British throne. Is this the start of an even slippery slope to mayhem in this country, or is it a positive thing?

I am confused with all the changes I face today, I now seem to be living in an alien country to the one I was born in, and I have had no choice in the matter.

JaneBirkin Fri 28-Oct-11 11:56:00

You what?

Haka Fri 28-Oct-11 11:56:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MissIngaFewmarbles Fri 28-Oct-11 11:56:48

which century were you born in?

HettyAmaretti Fri 28-Oct-11 11:56:59

FFS

What would be so disastrous about a woman succeeding the throne?

hmm

I think it's a brilliant leap forward for equality. Long overdue!

JosieRosie Fri 28-Oct-11 11:58:09

Manathome, I'm choosing to read your OP as a witty attempt at satirising DM readers and such-like. Well done smile

EvilElizabethPonsonby Fri 28-Oct-11 11:58:16

Gosh no, imagine having a queen, that would be just awful wouldn't it hmm

tooearlymustdache Fri 28-Oct-11 11:58:37

arf at slippery slope grin

you're right of course, OP.

just imagine the fresh hell that would be unleashed if they let a girl do man's stuff grin

<starts new column in spreadsheet>

motherinferior Fri 28-Oct-11 11:59:09

I don't believe in anyone succeeding the throne. I'd get rid of the whole boiling of them, personally. Am an equal opportunities republican.

SarahBumBarer Fri 28-Oct-11 11:59:12

Quite. I think it's a shame the Queen did not have a younger brother so that we could have a proper monarch wink

Cheeptrickortreat Fri 28-Oct-11 11:59:24

I think its a good thing but i'm confused as we have had a Queen for the past 60+ years so whats the difference?

duvetdayplease Fri 28-Oct-11 11:59:29

yes, but we only have a woman cos she had no brother. if she'd had a younger bro then he would have leapfrogged liz.

Time for a republic anyway, however much we like the inbred lot of idiots, its a stupid outdated crap system.

aquafunf Fri 28-Oct-11 11:59:35

ahem. we have a queen.

she became queen because she did not have brothers.

now, the first born will succeed regardless of sex.

no brainer, and a way of keeping the monarchy up to date (as is getting rid of the ridiculous rule about not being able to marry a catholic).

if it was going to be done, it needed to be done before william etc produce offspring.

fails totally to see the issue.

ScaredBear Fri 28-Oct-11 11:59:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NO WAY!!! MEN should take control of everything...how dare they suggest that a woman takes over the throne...We're living in an evil world.

TheVermiciousKnid Fri 28-Oct-11 11:59:48

Shocking, isn't it. Whatever next: women getting the vote? Women allowed to work? Where will it stop?

hmm

worraliberty Fri 28-Oct-11 12:00:04

PMSL at 'slippery slope to mayhem'

Calm down and put the kettle on love.....

No, I don't.

I don't agre with a man succeeding it either.

I think we should get rid of the monarchy because it is a horrible thing.

Open up all their houses to the public and make lots of money from the tourism.

Take back all the treasures they have aquired that by rights, belong to the nation.

Save the money we currently give to people who are rich beyond the wildest dreams of most of us and spend it on people who need it.

aquafunf Fri 28-Oct-11 12:00:58

soz if it was ironic ( not had sleep for 3 days)

EvilElizabethPonsonby Fri 28-Oct-11 12:01:21

<faints in horror>

Manathome Fri 28-Oct-11 12:01:48

I am just asking a question, years ago what would people have said if a woman had said that her husband would stay at home and look after the children housework and meals? She would have been deemed!! Well that is ME NOW, so things DO change but it is doing my head in, I am not a woman and I am not Gay so what am I doing in this role? I have to get my head around it, but I am slowly seeing the benefits, not having to put my suit on on the morning and get the train to work, but it doesn't seem normal....yet!

tooearlymustdache Fri 28-Oct-11 12:02:00

<passes smelling salts and plumps up cushions for more MNers to faint onto>

AFuckingKnackeredWoman Fri 28-Oct-11 12:02:04

What next a woman voting? pah!!!

broken Britain!

SarahBumBarer Fri 28-Oct-11 12:02:26

Perhaps this is a topic for another thread but can someone explain to me the concept of "personal wealth" as in when it is said "the Queen's personal wealth is estimated at..." How can the Queen have any "personal wealth" and is this what she would get as a golden handshake if we did become a republic?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now