Anyone read about the little girl in Tower Hamlets who is leafletting big houses in the West End asking for money...

(89 Posts)
fartmeistergeneral Mon 05-Sep-11 15:30:44

so she can attend a private school?

I know the deadline was today for the school fees to be paid, just wondered if anyone had heard whether she got it all paid or not?

LovelyCuppa Mon 05-Sep-11 15:33:45

Why can't she go to a state school like most of us?

GypsyMoth Mon 05-Sep-11 15:35:19

Yes, and what's where she's from got to do with it?

Op, she was begging?

Pootles2010 Mon 05-Sep-11 15:35:54

Why would people donate to this one girl's education rather than trying to improve education generally for all local children?

WhoWhoWhoWho Mon 05-Sep-11 15:36:55

Seriously? shock How entitled can you get! I thought this would be one of those sob stories about how little timmy doesn't have enough food and please could the people in the big houses help out.

What's wrong with a state school??

fartmeistergeneral Mon 05-Sep-11 15:39:11

I only mentioned where she was from in the title because the article mentioned it in relation to the state school she would normally go to (doesn't mean much to me, am in Scotland!).

Yes, I guess she was begging. She took the entrance exams for this private school but can't afford the fees and her mother hadn't filled out the necessary bursary (or whatever) forms in time.

I did find it a bit sad that her 3 siblings would I presume go to the local secondary school when she was getting a more 'privileged' education.

fartmeistergeneral Mon 05-Sep-11 15:40:26

£75,000 she is looking for....

sue52 Mon 05-Sep-11 15:40:27

Read the article. I would not let my daughter send out begging letters and would bin any I recieve.

LovelyCuppa Mon 05-Sep-11 15:42:07

£75,000??!! That's not school fees - that's a house deposit!

sparks Mon 05-Sep-11 15:43:21

My dd took the entrance exam for a private school, did not get a bursary and therefore didn't go because we couldn't manage the full fees. She goes to a state school, though not in Tower Hamlets. Never thought of resorting to begging hmm

NoMoreWasabi Mon 05-Sep-11 15:45:57

According to the article I read, she could not get a bursary as her mother didn’t fill out the forms by the deadline. So I’m afraid my sympathy for the position is limited.

Eglu Mon 05-Sep-11 15:47:29

Lovelycuppa that's not a house deposit, that would pay off my mortgage. shock

sparks Mon 05-Sep-11 15:48:44

The fees for the school my dd got into but didn't go to are £4,377 per term. That would be more than £75,000 for 7 years.

LovelyCuppa Mon 05-Sep-11 15:51:35

Ah but I live in SouthWest London Eglu where that might still be enough for a deposit for a parking space

Pootles2010 Mon 05-Sep-11 15:51:43

Find it flabbergasting that people would have sympathy for a child being 'forced' to go to state school considering how many people are living in truly shit situations at the moment.

GypsyMoth Mon 05-Sep-11 15:53:44

So what's she done with the money she did get then?
As it's obviously not enough!

Eglu Mon 05-Sep-11 16:00:41

grin lovelycuppa

fartmeistergeneral Mon 05-Sep-11 16:03:27

I'm not sure if she got any money - maybe I should google her and find out!

I would never ever allow my child to cycle around a wealthy area putting letters through doors asking for hard cash. Mind you I don't live in a council estate like Tower Hamlets and have no real idea of what those schools are like. My kids go to a state school (against private schools, but let's not go there!), and it's OK, good mix of children - and in a deprived area, though not to the extent of TH. I'm not sure how I'd feel if I felt it would give my dd a chance at a better education and life. Just being honest.

I reckon if this girl has enough drive and determination (and sheer brass neck) to come up with this scheme, then she is probably determined enough to get herself a decent education even at a rough school. I can't believe there are schools so bad that an intelligent and tough person wouldn't be able to manage ok there. She's clearly not going to be a "victim" or give in easily to peer pressure.

sue52 Mon 05-Sep-11 17:19:14

Out of curiosity, I just looked up secondary schools in Tower Hamlets. The first one (Oaklands) had a GCSE pass rate of 83%, pretty good result for a non selective school. If I was this girls mother I would be doing my level best to get her into this school and not faff around with begging letters to fund private education.

limitedperiodonly Mon 05-Sep-11 18:53:19

That was a very odd story indeed. Can't understand why it was in the Sunday Times. There appears to be no merit to her case. It appears that she got a place at Queen's College, a £14,850 a year girls' school in Harley Street,but that her mum failed to fill in the forms for a bursary in time. No reasons were given for that failure.

Can't link because it's behind the NI paywall but she's looking for funding by leafleting houses in posh parts of London. If she fails she will be going to Raine's foundation school which doesn't appear to be great but then, what makes her different to every other girl in Bethnal Green?

The only explanation I can think of is that she has some connection to the paper and it's an attempt by them to get her in. But I don't know whether that's the case.

It's utterly misguided and makes the Sunday Times look ridiculous, but if they're now taking up individual grievances on behalf of spirited girls I might apply.

It was written in a weird local newspaper 'plucky youngster' style rather than a serious report. Lots of references to the girl, Aliyah Tribak, taking her 'red and black micro-scooter' to leaflet houses in Notting Hill and Holland Park and 'pounding the streets enlisting the help of her 10 year old brother' concentrating on houses 'with shiny cars in the driveways and nice statues and plants.'

They also include the email address for donations.

Her mum, who is about to launch an internet clothing company - not sure why that's relevant - was quoted: 'I just hope the school doesn't react badly when find out about the appeal.'

You kind of think you might check that first. I'll certainly be checking next week's letters page to see if anyone else was similarly baffled.

BarryKent Mon 05-Sep-11 18:58:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WilsonFrickett Mon 05-Sep-11 19:22:54

grin at taking up individual grievances on behalf of spirited girls and agree I might also apply for help, in a shiny-haired, apple-cheeked, Enid Blyton sort of way...

tethersend Mon 05-Sep-11 19:29:29

Barry, I live in Tower Hamlets and there is a popular misconception outside of London that TH is a housing estate rather than a London Borough, so OP may have got the wrong end of the stick there.

BarryKent Mon 05-Sep-11 19:38:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now