Welsh students to be subsidised

(122 Posts)
sarah293 Tue 30-Nov-10 17:56:59

Message withdrawn

palomadove Tue 30-Nov-10 18:33:25

Good question - something to do with the government which decides education policy in England, I suggest. The UK Government do have to ratify today's decision by the Welsh Assembly Government, which should be interesting.

It's great news for those of us in Wales - but does make the situation in England very unfair.

Aren't you in Bristol, Riven? Move over the Severn Bridge, quick!

sarah293 Tue 30-Nov-10 18:37:50

Message withdrawn

pointydog Tue 30-Nov-10 18:39:03

The scottish parliament and welsh assembly make decisions on education in those countries, that's why. It's devolution innit

sarah293 Tue 30-Nov-10 18:40:03

Message withdrawn

2shoesnightmarebeforechristmas Tue 30-Nov-10 18:40:18

seems incredibly unfair. surely all should pay or none.

domesticsluttery Tue 30-Nov-10 18:41:13

I am very glad to be Welsh, and just hope that the WAG are still funding as much when my DC go to university in 10-15 years time.

spidookly Tue 30-Nov-10 18:42:39

I think this is very unfair.

What would be more fair would be if they kept their own Uni fees low - them they could compete for the best students from across the UK.

This is what I'm hoping NI will do and what Scotland are pretty much already doing.

But a subsidy like this that depends on where you are "domiciled" is open to abuse, apart from being massively unfair.

Taxes paid by English people will be subsidising Welsh students to go to English universities. Not on.

pointydog Tue 30-Nov-10 18:44:47

Devolved parliaments can decide for themselves though. It's not a question of fairness.

I don't think scotland will be able to sustain it for too long, just as I don't see how it can sustain free personal care for the elderly.

byrel Tue 30-Nov-10 18:45:34

England has been subsidising the welsh,scots and northern irish for years.

domesticsluttery Tue 30-Nov-10 18:45:47

"so why are us English lumbered with bastard Govt looking at 9K?"

Because they are Tories and two faced Lib Dem and the WAG is a Labour and Plaid coalition.

domesticsluttery Tue 30-Nov-10 18:49:14

Here we go again...

Because of course nobody in Scotland, Wales or NI pays taxes, do they? It is just the good old hard working English people propping us up while we sit on our backsides doing nothing hmm

It is just a difference in how the devolved powers choose to spend the money. It works both ways, for example if I had been living in England when I was studying with the OU for a second degree level qualification I would have got funding as it was for a career change, however in Wales I wasn't entitled to it. It is swings and roundabouts.

spidookly Tue 30-Nov-10 18:50:30

"England has been subsidising the welsh,scots and northern irish for years."

hmm

Well if you'd left us all well the fuck alone in the first place you could have kept your money.

byrel Tue 30-Nov-10 18:51:57

Government spending per capita is higher in Scotland,Wales and Northern Ireland than in England. Its all because of the barnett formula.

sarah293 Tue 30-Nov-10 18:52:01

Message withdrawn

sarah293 Tue 30-Nov-10 18:52:59

Message withdrawn

2shoesnightmarebeforechristmas Tue 30-Nov-10 18:54:07

so how much tax paid by english tax payers goes to the welsh and visa versa?

grannieonabike Tue 30-Nov-10 18:54:58

What we should work towards is bringing English students in line with the Scots and Welsh not removing subsidies or raising fees. Don't let's get distracted by this. Scottish unis are coming out in sympathy, and yes, we might well end up with tuition fees like in England. But we'll fight it, tooth and nail, just like you're doing.

byrel Tue 30-Nov-10 18:55:01

Students aren't equally because higher education policy is decided by different legislatures. The devolved Governments have decided to use some of their budgets to keep university fees down.

BlackBag Tue 30-Nov-10 18:55:50

Back to the matter in hand..

If I purchase/rent a Welsh address for my children, currently 5 & 3 --and obviously gifted and talented-- to apply from during their gap year will we all save a lot of money in University fees?

sarah293 Tue 30-Nov-10 18:56:13

Message withdrawn

sarah293 Tue 30-Nov-10 18:56:43

Message withdrawn

grannieonabike Tue 30-Nov-10 18:59:36

Please stay focussed on the issue: it's the English who are wrong to raise tuition fees. Of course it's unfair. But the answer is not to complain about the Welsh or the Scots. Change things in England, and we'll support you all the way.

If you want to discuss the Barnett Formula or the Lothian Question, that's another thread, surely?

Remember: divide and rule.

sarah293 Tue 30-Nov-10 19:00:27

Message withdrawn

grannieonabike Tue 30-Nov-10 19:01:07

OK. I can simmer down now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now