Is this a breach of human rights?

(6 Posts)
AwfulMaureen Tue 25-Mar-14 06:56:12

If a school "bans" packed lunches? Surely it is up to the parent and child what they eat?

meditrina Tue 25-Mar-14 07:06:03

No.

There is no compulsion in law to use state schools anyhow.

And for it to be a Human Rights Act, you would have to be looking at deprivation of food for protracted periods. Detail of menu of school dinners is nowhere near the threshold. Though it might be a breach of DDA if medical requirements were ignored, or Equaly Acts if religious requirements coukd not be accommodated.

Torture is a breach of human rights. False imprisonment is a breach of human rights. Not being allowed to admit your sexuality is a breach of human rights.

Schools "banning" packed lunches isn't. It's probably done to stop stupid parents feeding their kids crap at lunchtime. It's a sledgehammer to crack a nut, but there you go.

smellysammy Sun 20-Apr-14 08:35:15

Not yet is isn't.

alita7 Wed 30-Apr-14 22:49:32

I wish it was, dsd got two plain rolls and and a carton of drink in her packed lunch style school meal... she didn't complain bless her until I picked her up , mmust have been an error.

I think to do this they must have to lower the prices to what parents say they pay on average a day to do a packed lunch. otherwise it's totally unfair, you could buy the contexts of a lunch box for a week for about £6 (bread £1, ham £1, butter £1 apples £1, snack bars £1, carrot sticks/ cucumber maybe £1, tap water in a bottle) I reckon, that's £1.25 a day, most school dinners cost about £2- 3.

PortofinoRevisited Wed 30-Apr-14 22:56:34

Annoying yes. Breach of human rights, surely not. Maybe you need to spend the weekend in Syria, or Afghanistan to get a sense of perspective, Op.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now